Q701 impressions thread
Feb 5, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #5,507 of 9,603
No offence i was joking...
atsmile.gif

Feb 5, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #5,509 of 9,603
Ended up doing a split mod + Mogami re-cable on my Q701. Didn't try it single ended before I did the split so I cannot say if there is any real advantage.

What I can say is that it seems like the mogami cable really mellowed everything out and made them much more listenable. It took a lot of the harsh off the highs and can listen at higher volumes without cringing on some jazz tracks when the horns kick in. On the negative, It seems like I've lost a little bass impact, not all of it, but definitely noticeable.

When I get a chance, I throw a few pictures in the DIY cable thread if anyone is interested in seeing how it came out.

Feb 6, 2014 at 1:07 AM Post #5,510 of 9,603
Digging it mightily, though yesterday and this morning were troubleshooting hell.  I was getting drop outs or a completely dead left channel.  I thought, Not my newly repaired Lyr!  and promptly bugged Nick at Schiit.  Then I remembered the socket savers.  Pulled those, used tubes directly, seemed fixed.  Tubemonger, God bless 'em, offered to send a new pair.  This morning I pulled the socket savers in order to pack them up, plugged in the tubes to Lyr... boom!... same problem.  Traced it to the PYST cables I got with the Bifrost.  A bit disappointing at $20.  I think I'll return them.  Not sure what I'll get as a replacement.  At the moment I'm using a cheap RCA pair that probably came with a CD or DVD player.  Sounds a bit thinner.

But yeah, the Bifrost is awesome.  Definite step up from the trusty li'l HiFimeDIY Sabre U2.  Now that can be truly portable.

What cables are you using with your Bifrost (to Lyr?)?  Do you have the Bifrost?
LOL, I flove these small, niche companies.  While I was typing this, Schiit sent me an email saying they'd get me a new pair.  Guess that solves the problem, assuming these will last.

No, I don't have the Byfrost.... yet. I'm considering it, bit it'll have to wait for the car to be fixed, the kossel to be built and then the Lyr to become my new amp. So much on file. :D

Feb 6, 2014 at 4:52 AM Post #5,511 of 9,603
:eek:  No way!

Just kidding, you wouldn't be surprised at how many people don't know the difference. ._.

looks like Austria needs a name change to "not Australia"

Feb 6, 2014 at 5:12 AM Post #5,512 of 9,603
No, I don't have the Byfrost.... yet. I'm considering it, bit it'll have to wait for the car to be fixed, the kossel to be built and then the Lyr to become my new amp. So much on file.
biggrin.gif

If you are planning to get the Lyr to power your HD700 I suggest try auditioning the WA3, might be a great pairing as it pairs phenomenally great with HD650 and HD800.

Feb 6, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #5,514 of 9,603
No, I don't have the Byfrost.... yet. I'm considering it, bit it'll have to wait for the car to be fixed, the kossel to be built and then the Lyr to become my new amp. So much on file.
biggrin.gif

I must have been thinking of someone else.  Sounds like you have your priorities sorted.  I'd say Lyr before Bifrost, unless you've already got a nice amp and a not so great DAC.  I know one can spend a lot more on a DAC, but I was still hesitant to get the Bifrost.  I mean, my little Sabre U2 is pretty solid.  But if you can afford it, it's a great DAC.  If you don't need USB you can save a bit, but I tricked mine out.  Also, the Lyr+Bifrost stack looks damn nice.  Even my wife oohed and aahed a little 
wink.gif

Feb 6, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #5,515 of 9,603
Here's some new measurements of the Q701:

http://ko.goldenears.net/board/index.php?mid=GR_Headphones&document_srl=4233193

Maybe someone can email the owner and ask him to measure them with the mod!

For comparison:

Q701

Feb 6, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #5,516 of 9,603
BTW has anyone tried the non modded Q701 with K712 pads (not the flatter Annie pads)?
I want to buy some but $70 is too much. I hate the Annie pads but like the K712 pads.

I tried the K712 pads on the modded Q701 but it was warmth overdose. Some might like it but it felt too congested sounding.
I bet it could be fixed with small modifications to the outer foam and inner grill.

Also..I tried taping the K601 pads once on my K400 and it really does help improve the bass, but it was too ridiculous looking to me to keep it installed.
Maybe if I could get it to look nicer it might help. I don't believe I tried this on the Q701 pads.

My guess is that a Q701 STOCK with K712 pads would sound extremely close to the K712 but a little darker.
The modded Q701 is close in sound to the K712, but the K712 is a tiny bit fuller sounding in the low mids.

modded Q701 sounds smoother with some material and on other music it's the K712. Harsh Jpop actually sounded easier on the ears on my modded Q701(!)

I borrowed the K712 for a week. I'd buy it but it's asking price is too much since i'm not exactly rich.

Despite what some say, the K712 sounds like it has more upper mids than the Q701.

Feb 6, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #5,518 of 9,603
  BTW has anyone tried the non modded Q701 with K712 pads (not the flatter Annie pads)?
I want to buy some but $70 is too much. I hate the Annie pads but like the K712 pads.

Not to beat the dead horse too much, but aren't they the same part number, so there's no way of being sure of which you'll get?  Maybe I'm confusing them with the pads for different models.

Feb 6, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #5,519 of 9,603

Not to beat the dead horse too much, but aren't they the same part number, so there's no way of being sure of which you'll get?  Maybe I'm confusing them with the pads for different models.

Most likely they're all K712 pads now with the taller sides.
If someone ordered pads for their "Annie" they'd probably get something that sounds a little different (better).

Also, the Q701 bass mod works on the K400.

There are several versions of the K400 and mine had a foam "plug" on the back that I removed. My 2nd K400 is totally open but is still bass light. Some can't be modded.
This foam piece can get stuck inside it's hole if you're not careful.

I noticed in that How it's made video that there are other covered holes on the back of the Q701/K702driver.

If I had a K702 to destroy i'd like to experiment, but i'd possibly ruin it. The Q701 mod gives me enough bass as it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back