Q701 impressions thread
Feb 3, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #5,476 of 9,602
I get this feeling I should also ask Jimmers if the quality of a USB cable will make a difference and noticeable through Q701's and ODAC/O2. My seller included an Amazon Basic's cable...

Feb 4, 2014 at 12:18 AM Post #5,477 of 9,602
Note-I'm not jimmers nor electrical engineer.
I don't think that the quality of usb cable can effect the sound, because it's not analog. So it carries 1,0 s only. If that signals weak, still doesn't matter because odac will identify them as 1,0.just make sure your usb cable is good enough.
Note-correct me if I'm wrong .please.

Feb 4, 2014 at 5:28 AM Post #5,478 of 9,602
Isamod,
Shouldn't affect signal quality because USB is digital, agreed, though my personal experience was that my computer didn't recognize the sound device with most of the USB cables I had on hand when I borrowed it. That could be something else related to my OS install (at it's core, my PC first booted with Windows 8 consumer preview, and the full retail version was merely applied as a patch on top of that, and also, you know... it's Windows).

Suggest you look at:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AllGraphs.pdf

before you compare sensitivities (maybe you meant HiFiMAN HE-6, not LCD?)

And at question was "Easy to drive", e.g. something you can plug into phone, or weak mp3 player etc.

(it's like deja vu, all over again)

"sometimes I think I'm an Electrical Engineer........probably because I am!"

So basically... you're not refuting that if someone else tried listening to their Q701 through their receiver, it could easily sound good? Obviously not "the best," but good?

Feb 4, 2014 at 5:50 AM Post #5,479 of 9,602
  I get this feeling I should also ask Jimmers if the quality of a USB cable will make a difference and noticeable through Q701's and ODAC/O2. My seller included an Amazon Basic's cable...

I just use whatever to hand, I might build a pretty one with silver wires in Teflon etc. just for S&G, but I doubt it will sound any better than a general reasonable quality one. At the moment at work my X3 is connected with a short micro USB ($1) plugged into a standard A type extension lead that I found lying around
biggrin.gif
, at home ODAC using a lead I got with a HDD or phone or stole.

If you get one you like it will probably improve the overall experience but not the sound.

Feb 4, 2014 at 6:02 AM Post #5,480 of 9,602
So basically... you're not refuting that if someone else tried listening to their Q701 through their receiver, it could easily sound good? Obviously not "the best," but good?

Not at all, I can well understand that being someone's favourite, I was going to plug Q701 and HD650 into my ONKYO tonight (expecting them both to be just fine) but time has got away from me, (when using the receiver I am able to use loudspeakers mostly).

Feb 4, 2014 at 7:03 AM Post #5,481 of 9,602
Note-I'm not jimmers nor electrical engineer.
I don't think that the quality of usb cable can effect the sound, because it's not analog. So it carries 1,0 s only. If that signals weak, still doesn't matter because odac will identify them as 1,0.just make sure your usb cable is good enough.
Note-correct me if I'm wrong .please.

Deleted, offensive, with apologies!

Feb 4, 2014 at 7:51 AM Post #5,482 of 9,602
Because the ODAC uses async USB I think it's unlikely the USB cable will make a difference. However, I would always spend a little more (and I mean a LITTLE) just to get a well-sourced cable. Just for mental reassurance about reliability, longevity, correct shielding etc.

E.g. http://www.bluejeanscables.co.uk/store/data-cables/index.htm

However, Amazon is also a reputable brand.

Feb 4, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #5,483 of 9,602
I got an Amazon Basics USB cable to hook up my new Bifrost to my ancient, Frankenstein's monster of a PC, and I swear it sounds better than using a coax cable from my M-Audio Delta 192's S/P-DIF out.  The bass seems to have a smidge more impact via USB.  I tried a couple different coax cables (one Belkin Pure AV, the other some name brand), both sound the same.  I was a little surprised by this, but it is a very subtle thing, if it's even real.  One nice thing is the ability to leave both USB and coax connected.

Also, my Amazon cable glows blue :wink:  It's real purtty with the lights out.  Orange tube glow + blue LED glow = chillaxin' 
wink.gif

Feb 4, 2014 at 10:19 PM Post #5,490 of 9,602
I got an Amazon Basics USB cable to hook up my new Bifrost to my ancient, Frankenstein's monster of a PC, and I swear it sounds better than using a coax cable from my M-Audio Delta 192's S/P-DIF out.  The bass seems to have a smidge more impact via USB.  I tried a couple different coax cables (one Belkin Pure AV, the other some name brand), both sound the same.  I was a little surprised by this, but it is a very subtle thing, if it's even real.  One nice thing is the ability to leave both USB and coax connected.

Also, my Amazon cable [COLOR=3366CC]glows blue[/COLOR] :wink:  It's real purtty with the lights out.  Orange tube glow + blue LED glow = chillaxin' :wink:

How are you liking your Bifrost?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back