Q701 impressions thread
Feb 3, 2014 at 2:03 AM Post #5,461 of 9,602

Does this mean I'm STILL running the Q701's underamped with the O2? I mean, I already love the sound of the upgrade from an E12 to an ODAC/O2... but I'm just curious.

O2 has plenty for Q701, one of the reasons for the design actually. (well the K701 was,if anyone can tell the difference
k701smile.gif
).

Feb 3, 2014 at 2:55 AM Post #5,463 of 9,602
I'm very interested in these cans and am seriously considering these but am stuck between these, HD 598's and DT770 80 Ohm's. The thing that is holding me back is the AMP/DAC recommendation/requirements. For the first time around I want to get an E17 for mobile use, but is that enough to power these cans or would I need something with a bit more kick? Would also be using with my computer which has an ASUS SupremeFX X-Fi discrete Audio Card 

Feb 3, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #5,466 of 9,602
Does this mean I'm STILL running the Q701's underamped with the O2? I mean, I already love the sound of the upgrade from an E12 to an ODAC/O2... but I'm just curious.

O2 has plenty for Q701, one of the reasons for the design actually. (well the K701 was,if anyone can tell the difference :k701smile: ).

What he said. O2 is amazing.

I'm very interested in these cans and am seriously considering these but am stuck between these, HD 598's and DT770 80 Ohm's. The thing that is holding me back is the AMP/DAC recommendation/requirements. For the first time around I want to get an E17 for mobile use, but is that enough to power these cans or would I need something with a bit more kick? Would also be using with my computer which has an ASUS [COLOR=333333]SupremeFX X-Fi discrete Audio Card [/COLOR]

It'll be fine, not perfect but more than decent. You can consider the E18 as well.

Feb 3, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #5,467 of 9,602
Feb 3, 2014 at 6:11 PM Post #5,469 of 9,602
The problem with receivers as headphone amps is that their impedance isn't suited for inefficient headphones. I would highly recommend a headphone amp such as the O2.

The problem with following rules-of-thumb is that they don't always apply (and IMO NwAvGuy is a questionable source), AND the AKG flagships are an exception to the rule because they have a rather flat impedance curve. Unlike many Sennheisers, the Q701 doesn't have frequency spikes when there isn't much dampening, so the sound quality is more dependent on the rest of the audio components.

FuzzyKiwi,
That pioneer looks decent, I say try it (won't hurt). You may have to turn up the volume a bit more, but the solid-state amps in receivers like that produce more than enough current to create smooth, strain-less/effortless sound. I used my Q701 with my $200 Yamaha receiver, I bet you'll like it with yours too.

Feb 3, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #5,470 of 9,602

Needs BOTH, approx 1.6x Voltage, 8x current, (therefore approx 13x power) as in post.

Don't know why people assume 701 are easy to drive just because they are not high impedance.

Edit: @Ahade Sorry, I missed your post.

They are far from being an inefficient headphone.

They only need 1 Volt to generate approx. 105 SPL.
They don't pull tons and tons of current like an LCD.
This works out to 16 mWatts @ 105 dB SPL.
16 mA @ 105 dB SPL.

In real terms, 105 dB SPL is LOUD!
Average listening level usually works out to 90 dB. 
If your amp can provide 1 Volt RMS to a pair of Q701s without clipping, then it can be argued that there is a good amount of headroom available.

Feb 3, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #5,471 of 9,602
The problem with following rules-of-thumb is that they don't always apply (and IMO NwAvGuy is a questionable source), AND the AKG flagships are an exception to the rule because they have a rather flat impedance curve. Unlike many Sennheisers, the Q701 doesn't have frequency spikes when there isn't much dampening, so the sound quality is more dependent on the rest of the audio components.

FuzzyKiwi,
That pioneer looks decent, I say try it (won't hurt). You may have to turn up the volume a bit more, but the solid-state amps in receivers like that produce more than enough current to create smooth, strain-less/effortless sound. I used my Q701 with my $200 Yamaha receiver, I bet you'll like it with yours too.

I think NWAVGuy's biggest problem is that he is a strictly by the numbers kind of guy.
If you can't measure it, then it doesn't exist.
Period.

Which does not explain why we often hear slight differences between two amps that both measure very well.

Feb 3, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #5,472 of 9,602

They are far from being an inefficient headphone.
They don't pull tons and tons of current like an LCD.

Suggest you look at:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AllGraphs.pdf

before you compare sensitivities (maybe you meant HiFiMAN HE-6, not LCD?)

And at question was "Easy to drive", e.g. something you can plug into phone, or weak mp3 player etc.

(it's like deja vu, all over again)

"sometimes I think I'm an Electrical Engineer........probably because I am!"

Feb 3, 2014 at 10:05 PM Post #5,474 of 9,602
Suggest you look at:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AllGraphs.pdf

before you compare sensitivities (maybe you meant HiFiMAN HE-6, not LCD?)

And at question was "Easy to drive", e.g. something you can plug into phone, or weak mp3 player etc.

(it's like deja vu, all over again)

"sometimes I think I'm an Electrical Engineer........probably because I am!"

BTW,
I think I must been thinking of the HE-6.
They are both Planars, I get them mixed up.

Feb 3, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #5,475 of 9,602
Hi, I'm thinking of getting a pair of Q701's and I'm wondering if my Sony STR-DH710 receiver would be able to power them well enough.
Thanks!

Deleted...useless post on my part....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back