Q701 impressions thread
Feb 11, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #5,536 of 9,603
Originally Posted by Orodromeus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would the STX be a good, necessary purchase then? (Considering what I have at the moment)
Or would you guys recommend something else? :D

If you get an STX try the inbuilt headphone amp first, it is good, possibly good enough for your immediate needs , before deciding on external amp choice. It's headphone amp was one of the main reasons I got the STX in the first place, and I certainly wasn't disappointed - powerful too.
(If I wasn't a fiddler, wanting to buy and try, I probably would still just be using the STX and enjoying).

Feb 11, 2014 at 8:50 PM Post #5,537 of 9,603
Good day ladies and gents!

A fresh newb here :p

After my Gamecom 780 broke, I've decided to finally upgrade my audio experience and started lurking :p

After lots of research I've just ordered the Q701! :D :D
They should be here next week...Really excited ^^

One problem though...I don't really have a setup ready for them! I don't feel ready at all :p
I keep reading more and more threads on what gear I should get, but I only keep getting more and more confused :/

Due to only using gaming headsets till now (most of them USB driven I think), I didn't really pay too much attention to having a good sound card or having super high audio quality...I had no idea there was a whole world of audio out there, it's eye opening, yet a bit threatening and confusing at the same time ^^

I would really appreciate some advice on this matter though ^^
The sound card I have at the moment is the onboard one I got with my motherboard (Asus P8Z77-V DELUXE, the audio codec is [COLOR=333333]ALC898 I think)...Do you guys thinks it's worth anything? Should I go ahead and buy an actual sound card? If so, do you have any recommendations? :D [/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333](I keep hearing about the Asus Xonar Essence STX and the Titanium HD...)[/COLOR]

Or should I just look for a good external DAC + Amp? Bah! Haha 

[COLOR=333333]I really don't know what to do / what to get...Or more accurately, what I actually NEED :p[/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]It's still confusing at this point ^^[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]Sound card? External DAC? Amp? Grrrr! [/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]Anyhow, I would really appreciate some tips / advice / recommendations and so on...I want to make the most out of them and shock myself with what I was missing on all these years :)[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]I will be using them on my PC for: Gaming, Movies, Music, Voice chat, Video editing, Lip syncing, Animation and so on...[/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]Surround sound is pretty important to me as well, as I have grown quite addicted to the virtual 7.1 the Gamecom 780 provided :p[/COLOR]

Here is the link to my mobo: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8Z77V_DELUXE/#specifications

[COLOR=333333]Thanks ahead for any replay! It'd be greatly appreciated :)[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]Either way, have an awesome day! [/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]                                             Or [/COLOR]:beerchug:

Wow!
The STX looks like one serious DAC/amp.
Keep in mind that you do not have to pay for an enclosure, so the STX would be significantly cheaper than an equivalent "DAC in a box".

Feb 11, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #5,538 of 9,603
Wow!
The STX looks like one serious DAC/amp.
Keep in mind that you do not have to pay for an enclosure, so the STX would be significantly cheaper than an equivalent "DAC in a box".

Yeah,
I can go down the road and pick an STX up for 167AUD ($150 US) has same DAC chip as the new FiiO X5, same headphone amp as FiiO E9, pretty amazing value really and apparently you can move it up a level by replacing ICs (socketed) with LM4562 where not already used, I've bought the chips, but ...
need more universe (time, space, energy) ,

Feb 12, 2014 at 5:45 AM Post #5,540 of 9,603
  The Xonar is a capable dac, but the amplifier is lacking. It really can't replace a dedicated amp.

And yet some buy E9 and enjoy.
The STX uses same dedicated headphone amp IC (TI6120) and has generally better specs (noise, distortion, crosstalk ... ). Both have the potential disadvantage of 10ohm output impedance (as recommended by TI) but for many phones this is of no concern. (many seem to love their phones from receiver headphone output which is usually more in the range of 200 - 300 ohms).
But, hey it's "only" a soundcard.
wink_face.gif

Feb 12, 2014 at 6:02 AM Post #5,541 of 9,603
The STX is very underrated......very.......as far as soundcards go with a very good dac and amp....look no further

On high gain they can power my Q701 very nice, indeed.

Feb 12, 2014 at 7:12 AM Post #5,542 of 9,603
Yeah,
I can go down the road and pick an STX up for 167AUD ($150 US) has same DAC chip as the new FiiO X5, same headphone amp as FiiO E9, pretty amazing value really and apparently you can move it up a level by replacing ICs (socketed) with [COLOR=070707]LM4562 [/COLOR]where not already used, I've bought the chips, but ...
need more universe (time, space, energy) ,

So you have the Matter, but need more Time, Space and Energy.
Gotcha! :D

BTW, I should have pointed out in my previous post that I don't have any experience with the STX........:xf_eek:

I agree WRT to the FiiO E9, it's a very good amp for the money.

Feb 12, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #5,543 of 9,603
I'm not going to make a sound card vs amplifier discussion here on the akg q701 thread. Yes the STX is a decent amp and a high value for the money. Just saying though there are much better amps at a similar price.

On another note I noticed that there is a buzz in my q701 right driver, sent it in for a repair. It seems other people have had this same problem yet it hasn't exploded as a serious problem thread with the headphone. Why is that?

Feb 13, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #5,544 of 9,603
One last question, how hard is it to cut the bumps off the headband using a box cutter knife? 

I don't see myself ever reselling these so I might as well do my own modifications to it.

Feb 13, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #5,545 of 9,603
  One last question, how hard is it to cut the bumps off the headband using a box cutter knife? 

I don't see myself ever reselling these so I might as well do my own modifications to it.

It is actually pretty easy to cut. I was quite surprised. Cut them off and then get a sheet of adhesive backed black felt, cut a piece to size and stick it on to cover the ugliness.

Should look like this, or better if you have better skills:

Feb 13, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #5,546 of 9,603
I'm not going to make a sound card vs amplifier discussion here on the akg q701 thread. Yes the STX is a decent amp and a high value for the money. Just saying though there are much better amps at a similar price.

On another note I noticed that there is a buzz in my q701 right driver, sent it in for a repair. It seems other people have had this same problem yet it hasn't exploded as a serious problem thread with the headphone. Why is that?

Hair in the driver?

Feb 14, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #5,549 of 9,603
  I guess I'm not quite as bothered by the bumps like other people, or I don't wear them long enough to notice it. Maybe just an hour on a random occasion.

I wear the Q701's 5-10 hours a day. After a week, I decided to switch over to the a900x. Note this is 23 hours later, there are STILL bumps on my head. My barber, girlfriend, and myself were all shocked; I thought I had scalp deformations xD

Edit, since my head is now molded to the Q701's the headband, the q701's are the 2nd most comfortable headphone I own! (1st being 1R MK2's) I guess you could say it's a "mold-in" process.

Feb 14, 2014 at 6:26 PM Post #5,550 of 9,603
Accidentally killed my Q701 
mad.gif
today. A week or so ago, I split and recabled them with mogami and things were going great. Was having problems with the strain reliefs so I had to do them over again.

While I was desoldering the connections from the post, the post that goes to the driver got so hot, it actually melted the solder at the bottom of the post. When that happened, the almost microscopic copper wire that goes from inside the driver to the post came unsoldered. Then it broke when I tried to resolder it because it is was too fine.  So now that driver is toast. To be able to get back to that lead, I would have to take the (vinyl?) cover off the driver(not sure if even possible). I could probably get it off with a heat gun, but it probably wouldn't go back on
wink_face.gif

Looks like it's time to call AKG parts and see if I can order a new driver. Or maybe a set of matched drivers.

Or maybe it's a sign I should move on to the K712 Pro lol.

Here's some gore. I've indicated the wire/post with red circles. One side is correct. The other you'll really have to zoom in to see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back