Q701 impressions thread
Feb 16, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #5,568 of 9,602

Where can I find this modification, PS?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/660408/reversible-akg-k701-bass-mod

I think the Q701 and the new K702 have the same sound. Haven't tried for myself. Either way they have the same drivers so whatever difference there is it would be small.

And the bass mod is wonderful. IMO you lose some of the separation but it's small compared to the increase in sub bass. You can basically replace the sticker with masking tape+ some sort of fabric/felt if you decide you don't like it. I don't think I've heard of anything but positive feedback from the bass mod though. 

Feb 16, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #5,569 of 9,602
Right now I can only audition the K702's but I can get the Q701's online for almost $200.00 less. Does everyone still consider the Q701's better?
If I like the K702's should I like the Q701's?

I'd also love to hear how to modify the bass.

Thanks

If it weren't for the bumpy headband on the Qs, I'd say the two headphones are equal. The headband was a bit annoying at first, now it drives me insane. It gives me headaches, it hurts, it ruins my enjoyment of music! I can't imagine what AKG/ Quincy Jones was thinking.

The bass mod ruins the sound of the headphones in my opinion, it makes them sound much more average. If you want that kind of bass, get another set of headphones. You aren't gaining anything but the look of the Qs once you make the modification. If you get a set, give it a try by all means, but I'd argue you are wasting your time. Oddly, the Q460s are super bass heavy.

Feb 16, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #5,571 of 9,602

Thanks!

Are those pads glued on or can they be returned if I don't like the results?

It's like a sticky tape. If you're careful when peeling them off, you will be able to put them back in. Otherwise just use any other sticky tape. All it does is stopping the air flow between the front and back of the driver.

Feb 17, 2014 at 5:34 AM Post #5,573 of 9,602

The bass mod ruins the sound of the headphones in my opinion, it makes them sound much more average. If you want that kind of bass, get another set of headphones. You aren't gaining anything but the look of the Qs once you make the modification. If you get a set, give it a try by all means, but I'd argue you are wasting your time. Oddly, the Q460s are super bass heavy.

Which bass mod are you talking about? The bass port mod doesn't alter the looks?

Feb 17, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #5,575 of 9,602
  Which bass mod are you talking about? The bass port mod doesn't alter the looks?

I think he might be saying: After doing the mod, the sound is changed for the worse, so all one is left with are the looks.

Feb 17, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #5,576 of 9,602
Ah right! Well we all hear differently but I think the mod has "saved" the Q701s for me. I loved everything else, great bargain, but the lightness of bass bothered me too much eventually. That's what forced me into trying the mod and I'm glad I did.

I think people who've gone out of their way to find DACs and amps that are particularly warm, to "fix" the Q701, might have a different take. I don't have that issue.

Feb 17, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #5,577 of 9,602
Hey guys, there's an app called DIRAC HD PLAYER in iTunes. I tired its earpod option with my Q701,and it makes the sound even clearer. The highs seems to be very soft and smooth. I just tried the trial version. Better check it out!

Feb 17, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #5,578 of 9,602

I think he might be saying: After doing the mod, the sound is changed for the worse, so all one is left with are the looks.

Yes, sorry about that. Wasn't phrased so clearly. I am indeed saying that the Qs look cool (I have white, so they've been nicknamed my stormtrooper headphones - and stormtroopers are cool, OK?!) and sound great. However, if you mod them, they no longer sound great, but they do still look cool. The sound separation is one of the major pluses for the Qs. Most people here have said that that quality gets lost after doing the mod (and I agree, it's basically gone), so I would question the benefit of modding the Qs. For a very nice sounding headphone with more bass, I'd recommend something like the Beyerdynamic DT990. They don't look like Princess Leia's Stormtrooper offspring, but they're not ugly.

Feb 17, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #5,580 of 9,602
You're right, quite a few people have said they won't change back. I am not saying that people don't like the mod. As I remember from earlier in this thread, quite a few people said something to the effect that you lose a bit of separation, but it's worth it for the bass boost. I don't think the tradeoff is equal. I'd rather have the separation. The separation is, to my ears, almost completely lost after the mod. I'll admit that I'm very picky about bass balance. My preferred sound signature is neutral and the Qs are not neutral after the mod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back