Q701 impressions thread
Feb 17, 2014 at 12:07 PM Post #5,581 of 9,602
  Ah right! Well we all hear differently but I think the mod has "saved" the Q701s for me. I loved everything else, great bargain, but the lightness of bass bothered me too much eventually. That's what forced me into trying the mod and I'm glad I did.

I think people who've gone out of their way to find DACs and amps that are particularly warm, to "fix" the Q701, might have a different take. I don't have that issue.

I'm with you 100%.  While I'd probably still own them without the mod, they wouldn't get nearly as much head time.  For me, replacing the foam rings around the driver with wool felt really helped tame some occasional harshness, giving the Qs even more head time.  Since those rings are easily switched, and I've got five or so pairs now, it's easy to tweak the sound.  Such changes might not be for everyone, of course, but talk about cheap and easy.  Takes less than 60 seconds to switch those rings.

Driving them with a Lyr mostly, I find that tubes make a significant difference.  I went from a pair of 1974 Voskhod Rockets to a pair of RTC E188CCs this morning, and the drop in bass quantity was undeniable.  But also the air and gorgeous top end came back.  The muscular Russian tubes are fun, and great at the price, but there's a sense of refinement with the E188CCs.  Of course, I really put 'em in for my HE-500s 
wink.gif
  I've got better (and less expensive) tubes for the Qs.

Yes, sorry about that. Wasn't phrased so clearly. I am indeed saying that the Qs look cool (I have white, so they've been nicknamed my stormtrooper headphones - and stormtroopers are cool, OK?!) and sound great. However, if you mod them, they no longer sound great, but they do still look cool. The sound separation is one of the major pluses for the Qs. Most people here have said that that quality gets lost after doing the mod (and I agree, it's basically gone), so I would question the benefit of modding the Qs. For a very nice sounding headphone with more bass, I'd recommend something like the Beyerdynamic DT990. They don't look like Princess Leia's Stormtrooper offspring, but they're not ugly.

Yeah, the Stormtrooper model rules 
k701smile.gif
  Of course, Vader would not approve of the musical-notes bandana I've got wrapped around the headband.  He'd want us all to suffer those #$%!@^# bumps.

Obviously we differ re: what we want from the Qs, but that's cool.  I chose to mod them (aware I could reverse everything but the headband mod) rather than sell them and try another and another and another.  For my money and efforts, I'm happy to keep them.

Feb 17, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #5,582 of 9,602
I had just tried the bass mod by removing the stickers.

Right after the mod, I connected my Q701 to E17 as I the stock Q701 works well with E17 (at least it sounds nice to my ears).
I found that both bass quality and quantity are improved, the sound stage and separation are changed too.
After hearing it for about an hour, I think the trade-off is not worth and I like the stock Q701 sounds better.

Then I connected the modded Q701 to my O2/ODAC combo.
Surprisingly, I found that the modded Q701 sounds better with the O2/ODAC than before.
It is true that a bit of separation is lost too.  But I think the trade-off is worth.

I end up with reversing the mod.  
The major reason is that though the "modded Q701 and O2/ODAC" combination sounds better than before, 
this combination still cannot beat the "SHR940 and O2/ODAC" combination.

After reversiing the mod, I connected it to E17 again.  Immediately, I confirmed to myself that I will keep it "not-modded"

For those who own a Q701, I think it is worth to try this mod and see whether you like it or not.
It cost nothing, easily to mod and most importantly, the mod can be reversed.

Feb 17, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #5,583 of 9,602

I'm with you 100%.  While I'd probably still own them without the mod, they wouldn't get nearly as much head time.  For me, replacing the foam rings around the driver with wool felt really helped tame some occasional harshness, giving the Qs even more head time.  Since those rings are easily switched, and I've got five or so pairs now, it's easy to tweak the sound.  Such changes might not be for everyone, of course, but talk about cheap and easy.  Takes less than 60 seconds to switch those rings.

Driving them with a Lyr mostly, I find that tubes make a significant difference.  I went from a pair of 1974 Voskhod Rockets to a pair of RTC E188CCs this morning, and the drop in bass quantity was undeniable.  But also the air and gorgeous top end came back.  The muscular Russian tubes are fun, and great at the price, but there's a sense of refinement with the E188CCs.  Of course, I really put 'em in for my HE-500s 
wink.gif
  I've got better (and less expensive) tubes for the Qs.

He'd want us all to suffer those #$%!@^# bumps.

There's always this fix...may the force be with you!!

http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Leatherette-Universal-Sennheiser-Beyerdynamic/dp/B00862522A/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1392658791&sr=8-5&keywords=headphone+cushions 

Feb 17, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #5,584 of 9,602

http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Leatherette-Universal-Sennheiser-Beyerdynamic/dp/B00862522A/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1392658791&sr=8-5&keywords=headphone+cushions 

Yep, got one of those for my HE-500s, which need it more.  Given that my bandana is black notes on white cloth, it fits my Stormtrooper model just fine 
wink.gif

Also, the price of that headband pad has doubled since I bought mine 
eek.gif
  Not sure I can recommend it at that price.  It's pretty cheap (vs. inexpensive).

Feb 17, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #5,585 of 9,602
I hope those bumps are mini cushions.

Right now I'm considering the Q701's or the HD600's (which are twice the price so they better be twice as good.)

Unfortunately I can't AB them.

Feb 17, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #5,587 of 9,602

Right now I'm considering the Q701's or the HD600's (which are twice the price so they better be twice as good.)

Nope.  They've got tiny little spikes to keep the headband in place... 
wink.gif

Seriously though, if you read back a bit, some are saying the bumps are fairly cushioned, while others are pretty stiff.  Change in material?

Pity you can't compare, but I suspect there are a few people on here familiar with both.  FWIW, I didn't think the HD 650s were twice as good as the Q701s, and ended up selling them.  Different cans than their predecessors, though.

Personally, I haven't had any problem with the bumps, but I also have a lot of hair so maybe that helps?

I think the Q701s are pretty comfy, the bumps seem to keep them from slipping around on my head and they feel very soft and cushy.

That's a good point.  No hair for me where the bumps hit, and the red marks were noticeable and annoying.

Feb 17, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #5,588 of 9,602

I fortunately do have both. If you'd like to know more you can pm me but there are lots of reviews and comparisons of both. Quite different headphones. Hd 600 has excellent thumping bass and just seduces you with it's sound. The akg is slightly more detailed and is a brighter headphone which makes it sound lively and fast in comparison.. I love both so much. Although I want to point out with the bass mod they sound much more similar. Both are comfortable with the hd 600 having a slight edge. Build on the akg is better though because of it's flexibility.

I should be getting the akg k712 earpads soon too so yay for me :)

Feb 17, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #5,589 of 9,602
I fortunately do have both. If you'd like to know more you can pm me but there are lots of reviews and comparisons of both. Quite different headphones. Hd 600 has excellent thumping bass and just seduces you with it's sound. The akg is slightly more detailed and is a brighter headphone which makes it sound lively and fast in comparison.. I love both so much. Although I want to point out with the bass mod they sound much more similar. Both are comfortable with the hd 600 having a slight edge. Build on the akg is better though because of it's flexibility.

I should be getting the akg k712 earpads soon too so yay for me
smily_headphones1.gif

Interesting, I've never heard anyone call the HD 600s' bass thumping.  Isn't that usually reserved for the HD 650s?  Or do you mean in comparison to the Q701s?  Nice descriptions, though.

re: K712 pads, are you expecting the angled version that comes with new K712s, or the non-angled, memory foam version?  I ask, because I ordered that part number (same as the pads for the K702 Annies) and did not get the "new" K712 pads, but the non-angled, memory foam Annies.  Killed the Q701s for me, so I sold the pads.  Do post back with what you get and your impressions.

Feb 17, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #5,590 of 9,602

This looks promising, although maybe too small for the Q701 head strap? Anyone have photos?

Feb 17, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #5,591 of 9,602

Interesting, I've never heard anyone call the HD 600s' bass thumping.  Isn't that usually reserved for the HD 650s?  Or do you mean in comparison to the Q701s?  Nice descriptions, though.

re: K712 pads, are you expecting the angled version that comes with new K712s, or the non-angled, memory foam version?  I ask, because I ordered that part number (same as the pads for the K702 Annies) and did not get the "new" K712 pads, but the non-angled, memory foam Annies.  Killed the Q701s for me, so I sold the pads.  Do post back with what you get and your impressions.

I mean in comparison to the AKG Q701. The bass for the AKGs decays fast and doesn't have the impact of the HD 600. Although in combination with my amp the HD 600 is pretty strong.

And I think Frank said 
"
K702    2458M12020   $14.74 PER PAD
K712   5021871 SAME AS 65TH aNNINVERSARY
"

So did I just order the gel pads...? Oh my god..

Feb 17, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #5,592 of 9,602
This looks promising, although maybe too small for the Q701 head strap? Anyone have photos?

It's vinyl, so it stretches.  Still not sure it would fit, though.

Moon-Audio has something very similar for less money.  Comes with and without "buttons" though I'm not sure what they mean by buttons.  Snaps?  Snaps or buttons?  Anyway, their prices beats Amazon, unless they charge $10 for shipping.

They have at least two:
http://www.moon-audio.com/beyerdynamic-leatherette-headband-pad.html
and
http://www.moon-audio.com/beyerdynamic-leather-black-headband.html

the 2nd being listed as real leather.

Feb 17, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #5,593 of 9,602
  I mean in comparison to the AKG Q701. The bass for the AKGs decays fast and doesn't have the impact of the HD 600. Although in combination with my amp the HD 600 is pretty strong.

And I think Frank said 
"
K702    2458M12020   $14.74 PER PAD
K712   5021871 SAME AS 65TH aNNINVERSARY
"

So did I just order the gel pads...? Oh my god..

re: bass, OK, that I can see 
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah, it's funky with AKG/Harman.  The K702 part number is the same for the Q701.  The K712 and K702 Annie are the same number as you noted, but there are two different pads with that number... or they aren't selling the pads they ship with new K712s.  It's damn confusing, and IIRC, AKG/Harman does not acknowledge that there are actually two different pads.  Pity.

If you don't get the ones you're expecting, and don't like them, hopefully they'll take a return.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back