PS1000 Impressions Thread
Sep 5, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #706 of 3,605
Ya, ill go post on the he-500 thread on it later.

Wont Say much about hifiman here though or the grado conservatives will get annoyed :D

Sep 5, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #709 of 3,605
PS1000's came today! I've been listening to them the last few hours and boy I am getting sore ears and fatigue. Is this normal? They are heavy, but not nearly as heavy as I thought they'd be and they are really comfortable otherwise. 

Overall I'm extremely happy I purchased them. I cannot wait to get an amp for it, but that will have to wait for a few weeks. Thanks again everyone! I'll keep posting as I keep listening! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 5, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #710 of 3,605
PS1000's came today! I've been listening to them the last few hours and boy I am getting sore ears and fatigue. Is this normal? They are heavy, but not nearly as heavy as I thought they'd be and they are really comfortable otherwise. 

If you are running completely unamped, that may be the source of the fatigue. I know they are low impedance, but they still benefit from a good amp. The Q701s are the same way for me. Low(ish) impedance, but they are very fatiguing without an amp. And they sound very thin that way.

Beautiful headphones, though. Congrats!

Sep 5, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #711 of 3,605
If you are running completely unamped, that may be the source of the fatigue. I know they are low impedance, but they still benefit from a good amp. The Q701s are the same way for me. Low(ish) impedance, but they are very fatiguing without an amp. And they sound very thin that way.

Beautiful headphones, though. Congrats!

This. 

The GS1ks are the same way. I actually don't care for them  unamped, which is the only Grado I can say that about. They need an amp to sound their best. 

Sep 6, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #712 of 3,605
I am currently running them through a Marantz SR5006 home theater amplifier. I love them thus far and i'm wondering if they'll break in a little more. Supposedly they don't have much use to them, so maybe they'll break in more. I plan on getting a little dot 1+ amp in the near future. My ultimate plan is to save up for a woo audio amp, but one step at a time. 

Sep 6, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #713 of 3,605
  I am currently running them through a Marantz SR5006 home theater amplifier. I love them thus far and i'm wondering if they'll break in a little more. Supposedly they don't have much use to them, so maybe they'll break in more. I plan on getting a little dot 1+ amp in the near future. My ultimate plan is to save up for a woo audio amp, but one step at a time. 

CONGRATS! My PS1000 / Woo Audio WA6-SE combination has treating me pretty well.

Sep 6, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #714 of 3,605
PS1000 where returned yesterday. i tried to like them, but i just found them too bright, even with the warm sounding tubes on the WA6-SE, they where basically an RS1i but a little brighter still.

might buy RS1i again soon, i miss them.

they are good headphones, but i guess they just weren't for me. 

Sep 6, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #715 of 3,605
Sorry, but for some reason, I can't use the post quote with my laptop.

To fastfox 1306, I think that you're making a very good choice with the Little Dot 1+, I thought of going with Woo, but I read so many good things about the Little Dot 1+, that I figured that since it's so cheap, I didn't have much to lose in trying it, long story short, I bought another Little Dot 1+ for my second sound system.

Please, keep us posted, and happy listening.

Sep 6, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #716 of 3,605
  PS1000 where returned yesterday. i tried to like them, but i just found them too bright, even with the warm sounding tubes on the WA6-SE, they where basically an RS1i but a little brighter still.

might buy RS1i again soon, i miss them.

they are good headphones, but i guess they just weren't for me. 

Have you heard the "i" version of the GS1ks, DG? If so, how would you compare them to the PS1ks and the RS1s? 

Sep 6, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #717 of 3,605
i never heard the GSK long enough, but seems darker than PS1000, i didn't really find them bright, i found them to be more U shaped and a wider soundstage. i liked them, but i didn't hear them long term, might be bright too, not sure.

i have heard both regular and i though, very little difference i think. maybe just less recessed on the i version.

RS1 is great, though i preferred RS1i, i found the RS1 version i had to be a little too shouty in the mids, weird i guess. The RS1i are my favs though.

Sep 7, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #718 of 3,605
  i never heard the GSK long enough, but seems darker than PS1000, i didn't really find them bright, i found them to be more U shaped and a wider soundstage. i liked them, but i didn't hear them long term, might be bright too, not sure.

i have heard both regular and i though, very little difference i think. maybe just less recessed on the i version.

RS1 is great, though i preferred RS1i, i found the RS1 version i had to be a little too shouty in the mids, weird i guess. The RS1i are my favs though.

I continue to be amazed by how different our ears must be. I owned the GS1000i for quite some time, and sold it because I found it too bright in direct comparison to my PS1000, which I don't find bright at all. Much happier with the flagship. I had a similar problem with the RS1i, which I also eventually sold in favor of the RS2i, which I like better and find to be warmer.

On another topic for the crew, I've been away from this thread for some time, and I wonder if anyone has formed an opinion on the PS1000 vs the PS500. In other words, is there any real cause to consider it the sonic little brother of the PS1000? I've been auditioning the PS500 for a month or so and am still trying to figure that one out.

Sep 7, 2013 at 1:38 AM Post #719 of 3,605
I hated rs2i was unlistenable, brightest grado by far

Sep 7, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #720 of 3,605
CONGRATS! My PS1000 / Woo Audio WA6-SE combination has treating me pretty well.

Big +1 to this. My PS-1000s love the Woo. I found the RCA 6FD7 to not have the bright upper mids low treble of the Sylvania and GE versions(drove me nuts on my HE-500 too). I'm not feeling any symptoms of upgraditis with this setup:wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back