PS1000 Impressions Thread
Sep 1, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #676 of 3,605
Quote:
Just curious if you can point me in the right direction of tracking down a Little Dot +1? I found a few on Ebay, but they're coming from China, such as seen here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Little-Dot-I-1-EF92-Tube-Transistor-Amp-Amplifier-Upgraded-Version-/140896711616?pt=US_Home_Audio_Amplifiers_Preamps&hash=item20ce1933c0

Are these legitimate +1 amplifiers? Or is there a "more reputable" place to purchase one? Thanks again!

This is whom i've bought both of mine from, he's a very classy gentelmen.

I hope you'll like it as much as i do. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Little-Dot-I-1-Hybrid-Tube-Transistor-Amp-Amplifier-/200957031699?#ht_2139wt_917

Sep 1, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #677 of 3,605
Quote:
Didn't say that you did say that she was unhappy with the amp. It was a roundabout way of saying that it's the headphones she doesn't seem to be particularly enamoured with. Sorry, should have realised by now that you're a stickler for accuracy and precision 
wink.gif

Dunno, you don't usually get away with pairing budget amps with super expensive headphones. Suppose it's different with grado though 
gs1000.gif

You're right Tony, I am a stickler for accuacy, words are what we use to communicate, so by being as clear as possible we decrease our chances of being misunderstood, and that is especially true on the internet, where we can't see the other person's body language and facial expression, hence the smileys
wink.gif

And regarding the Little Dot 1+, i admit that i was the first one to be amazed that such an inexpensive headphone amp could be so good, so at this point, i'm ready to believe anything.

Sep 1, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #678 of 3,605
Quote:
well of course if that happened, grado would have to lower the prices on their other headphones, which might be a good or bad thing depending on how much it costs them to make. they made a GS1000i, im sure a PS1000i couldn't be that hard to make, i just feel they would have to rework their prices. even if the 60 and 80 are some of the better bargains, the other grados aren't. the ps500 are pretty good as well as the RS1i, but remember that the HE-500 is also about the same price...

In this scenario, we're talking apples vs. oranges.  HifiMan is produced in China where labor is quite cheap.  Grado, on the other hand, does a lot of their work in Brooklyn, NY.  Sure, they might be "old school" in their ways, but hiring people to work in NY can't be really all that cheap.  I feel if Grado were to rework their prices, we wouldn't see the same level of products offered.  Grado has a few QC issues as it is, but if all their gear was manufactured somewhere outside of the U.S., it is quite likely that their QC would go down even further.  Then again, it's hard to tell what the future of Grado will be like.  I'm not sure if they have someone who will be the next heir who is being mentored to take over the business.  If this isn't the case, they very well could be sold off at some point in the future.  There's a good chance that the buyer would completely revamp the manufacturing and support model.  If this were to happen, Grado would not be the same Grado that we know today.

Sep 2, 2013 at 1:13 AM Post #679 of 3,605
Quote:

In this scenario, we're talking apples vs. oranges.  HifiMan is produced in China where labor is quite cheap.  Grado, on the other hand, does a lot of their work in Brooklyn, NY.  Sure, they might be "old school" in their ways, but hiring people to work in NY can't be really all that cheap.  I feel if Grado were to rework their prices, we wouldn't see the same level of products offered.  Grado has a few QC issues as it is, but if all their gear was manufactured somewhere outside of the U.S., it is quite likely that their QC would go down even further.  Then again, it's hard to tell what the future of Grado will be like.  I'm not sure if they have someone who will be the next heir who is being mentored to take over the business.  If this isn't the case, they very well could be sold off at some point in the future.  There's a good chance that the buyer would completely revamp the manufacturing and support model.  If this were to happen, Grado would not be the same Grado that we know today.

like this?

Sep 2, 2013 at 1:32 AM Post #681 of 3,605
Quote:

Sadly, yes.  But, I hope not.  Denon has already gone down that path in an attempt to appeal to the masses.  Forget us enthusiasts that would like some quality sound ... and just try to compete by building a headphone that looks "cool".

yes, denon ruined their product line pretty badly.

and i guess ur right, it isn't cheap to make headphones in new york, though it would be nice to see grado improve on their QC a bit. i've always had problems with the rods slipping, grattle (though this is common with many open headphones including beyerdynamic and even sennheiser), as well as some other small things. though i guess hifiman has its issues too (cheap parts, crappy cable, etc)

Sep 2, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #682 of 3,605
[size=small]Grado will never change their way of work, also design will stay the same. Maybe they will implement some HP1000 quality in all their lines, which will be a very nice thing to do, as their construction is pretty fragile and you have to be very careful with them. They are kind of company that keep that retro look and become more luxury item with each year of their existence, at least with expensive line for sure. I don't know anyone up here locally who bought PS1000 through dealer, most importing them or buy used from States, they don't have them as demo up here at all and if you want to try them, you make a special appointment, so they can order an demo pair from importer[/size]
[size=small]Personally, I never understood why John made the PS1000 caps that heavy. The only reason I can think of is their way of sound, maybe it should be that heavy to produce such sound, probably, as I don't see any other reason, however, I still wondering if he wanted to make the impression of heavy = solid as well, don’t know…[/size]
[size=small]There are things that PS1000 doing that are not at the level of an headphones that caliber, no matter where you build them, NY or China, plus comfort and fragile construction, that's why their price tag gets so many criticism, which is pretty normal to me, as I don't want to have such headphones around that will fall apart one day or have cosmetic problems in the time. Of course, it doesn't happened a lot, but you simply can't let such heavy caps hanging on the same construction as GS1000i, this is very bad and cheap solution that Grado Labs using and I think it's just over the line, sorry, but that's how it is. One more time, take a look how well HP1000 are build. Don't take me wrong guys, there are other flagship headphones around that are not very well build to, for example Qualia from Sony, despite of their fantastic sound, they still have very fragile build to me. And I think Grado must implement some changes in the construction, which is not that expensive to do anyway, but it will bring them to the much higher durability, but John is the only one that can make this work, but if he read all that complains up here and still keep his ignoring attitude, well, that's his choice, but also will be the choice of others who just will avoid them for that reason only. For each his own.[/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]THX[/size]

Sep 2, 2013 at 8:39 AM Post #683 of 3,605
Quote:
[size=small]Grado will never change their way of work, also design will stay the same. Maybe they will implement some HP1000 quality in all their lines, which will be a very nice thing to do, as their construction is pretty fragile and you have to be very careful with them. They are kind of company that keep that retro look and become more luxury item with each year of their existence, at least with expensive line for sure. I don't know anyone up here locally who bought PS1000 through dealer, most importing them or buy used from States, they don't have them as demo up here at all and if you want to try them, you make a special appointment, so they can order an demo pair from importer[/size]
[size=small]Personally, I never understood why John made the PS1000 caps that heavy. The only reason I can think of is their way of sound, maybe it should be that heavy to produce such sound, probably, as I don't see any other reason, however, I still wondering if he wanted to make the impression of heavy = solid as well, don’t know…[/size]
[size=small]There are things that PS1000 doing that are not at the level of an headphones that caliber, no matter where you build them, NY or China, plus comfort and fragile construction, that's why their price tag gets so many criticism, which is pretty normal to me, as I don't want to have such headphones around that will fall apart one day or have cosmetic problems in the time. Of course, it doesn't happened a lot, but you simply can't let such heavy caps hanging on the same construction as GS1000i, this is very bad and cheap solution that Grado Labs using and I think it's just over the line, sorry, but that's how it is. One more time, take a look how well HP1000 are build. Don't take me wrong guys, there are other flagship headphones around that are not very well build to, for example Qualia from Sony, despite of their fantastic sound, they still have very fragile build to me. And I think Grado must implement some changes in the construction, which is not that expensive to do anyway, but it will bring them to the much higher durability, but John is the only one that can make this work, but if he read all that complains up here and still keep his ignoring attitude, well, that's his choice, but also will be the choice of others who just will avoid them for that reason only. For each his own.[/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]THX[/size]

+1000000000000000000000000000000

wouldn't mind paying the prices if they where like the HP1000 in build quality, and offered sound quality like that across the board and through the entire line.

Sep 2, 2013 at 9:09 AM Post #684 of 3,605
I have been following this thread  as I wanted to hear your impressions of this headphone.

I am going to go out on a limb here and say that you are not going to keep this headphone, as the bang for your buck is just not there and I do not get the feeling that you are wowed by them, unless of course you just like to collect flagship headphones.

The headphones look fantastic as I love the chrome, but I can see that they would be very heavy.

I am thinking about the PS500 to compliment my RS1i, but if they are like the 325...which I loved by the way.......then they will even be quite a bit heavier than the RS1i.

I just love how light and comfortable the RS1 is....and I have no problem at all with the build quality of them.

Sep 2, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #686 of 3,605
Quote:
I have been following this thread  as I wanted to hear your impressions of this headphone.

I am going to go out on a limb here and say that you are not going to keep this headphone, as the bang for your buck is just not there and I do not get the feeling that you are wowed by them, unless of course you just like to collect flagship headphones.

The headphones look fantastic as I love the chrome, but I can see that they would be very heavy.

I am thinking about the PS500 to compliment my RS1i, but if they are like the 325...which I loved by the way.......then they will even be quite a bit heavier than the RS1i.

I just love how light and comfortable the RS1 is....and I have no problem at all with the build quality of them.

yeah i think they're gonna go back. i'm actually listening to them out of the WA2 right now, seems that this amp actually tames the highs VERY well, just like the Beyerdyamic T1 (which i rave about all the time and how good they sound, i wouldn't have liked T1 had i heard them out of a SS amp or something). with this logic, i've been playing around with PS1000 and want to keep them for a while till i find something that works for them, but i think i might just return them, unless i try them out on a WA22 or something.

right now with the WA2, seems good, but they are underpowered cause its an OTL amp, and seems a little too dark.

also tried  them out earlier with WA6-SE and the 6FD7 and Philips 5R4GY, seems close to what i want. not as bright, warmer, the mids aren't as recessed as with the brimar, but also loses a bit of detail.

i think to get what i want, i'll have to get the GEC U52 tube or perhaps upgrade to WA22, or both, but thats another $400 investment and/or an amp purchase.

part of me wants to give them a chance, i do like the grado sound, i want it in my collection, i love the chrome, and i know they do sound good with some recordings, and i feel they do deserve a chance. but part of me feels that they lack true resolution in the mids, that they still distort easily and have alot of edge to them, and that the RS1i can get me the sound i want, minus the soundstage and perhaps a bit less resolution, but maybe even the same, at $1000 cheaper.

Sep 2, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #687 of 3,605
OMG!!!!!!!!!

i think we have a winner....

Sep 2, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #689 of 3,605
Quote:
An exciting tube combination?

yes, i'll have to listen later tonight or tomorrow though.

unfortunately, all this testing (since some is done at louder volumes), does cause some hearing fatigue. the grados are quite bright to me, more than 325 (different kinda of brightness, i find ps1000 to be more sibilant and glary, but not as sharp as 325). i find that it actually hurts my ears, i guess im just sensitive to that 10k peak. so i gotta listen later once my hearing returns to normal, to make sure what i'm hearing is actual warmth rather than just being temporarily desensitized to the treble.

anyways, seems like the winners are the EML 5U4G and the 6EW7. the 6EW7 is very smooth and tubey, but with a wide soundstage, its not closed in like the 6DE7, which muffles the already recessed mids of the PS1000. the EML is full sounding and warm, but detailed and clean, with great bass, the mids aren't recessed on it like the 5R4GY or even the mullard GZ37 which lacks bass and PRaT.

right now with these tubes, the sound is very similar to the Grado RS1 flats, but not shouty in the mids, very full sounding warm, the bass is very strong, but fun and not bleeding into the mids, just a very lush sound overall. the detail is unfortunately reduced, but not any more than the original RS1. the soundstage is great. also the headphones seem more transparent without the treble harshness, sounds really true to the grado sound, warm and musical.  i do wish they had a tiny bit more treble though, the highs are a little bit too rolled off at some points.  happy that the bass is as good as it sounds though, as well as the mids not being recessed as with the other tubes.

more to come later, still not sure if these are worth it, but i am surprised as how much they changed. from a dryer 325is kinda sound to a thick sounding RS1 kinda sound, this is much closer to what i was looking for.

Sep 2, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #690 of 3,605
Quote:

yes, i'll have to listen later tonight or tomorrow though.

unfortunately, all this testing (since some is done at louder volumes), does cause some hearing fatigue. the grados are quite bright to me, more than 325 (different kinda of brightness, i find ps1000 to be more sibilant and glary, but not as sharp as 325). i find that it actually hurts my ears, i guess im just sensitive to that 10k peak. so i gotta listen later once my hearing returns to normal, to make sure what i'm hearing is actual warmth rather than just being temporarily desensitized to the treble.

anyways, seems like the winners are the EML 5U4G and the 6EW7. the 6EW7 is very smooth and tubey, but with a wide soundstage, its not closed in like the 6DE7, which muffles the already recessed mids of the PS1000. the EML is full sounding and warm, but detailed and clean, with great bass, the mids aren't recessed on it like the 5R4GY or even the mullard GZ37 which lacks bass and PRaT.

right now with these tubes, the sound is very similar to the Grado RS1 flats, but not shouty in the mids, very full sounding warm, the bass is very strong, but fun and not bleeding into the mids, just a very lush sound overall. the detail is unfortunately reduced, but not any more than the original RS1. the soundstage is great. also the headphones seem more transparent without the treble harshness, sounds really true to the grado sound, warm and musical.  i do wish they had a tiny bit more treble though, the highs are a little bit too rolled off at some points.  happy that the bass is as good as it sounds though, as well as the mids not being recessed as with the other tubes.

more to come later, still not sure if these are worth it, but i am surprised as how much they changed. from a dryer 325is kinda sound to a thick sounding RS1 kinda sound, this is much closer to what i was looking for.

these are WA6-SE tubes being rolled?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back