PS1000 Impressions Thread
Jul 10, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #196 of 3,605
I make the burn in with playing music of different types at low volume. I have read that white noise etc are to be avoided. I have used the method of just playing different tracks many times for burn in without any problems. Approx 50 hours of low volume playing settles everything down pretty much so more critical listening can be done.

I audited both the GS1000i and the PS1000. The GS1000i eliminated themselves relatively quickly. The treble was simply too hot in many cases and the overall presentation was bright. The exception was classical music - it sounded good in general. But the obvious difference I noticed is the "all round capability" with the PS1000. It doesn't matter what I tested them with - they sounds refined and balanced with a high detail level. No sibilance or anything like that. Before I made this decision I tried the GS1000i straight out of my Thunderbolt with PowerAMP and they sounded more balanced in that environment but was obviously underpowered. So my expectations on the GS1000i was higher - I didn't expect that the PS1000 was going to win so completely.

But the audition made it very clear: if my musical preference had been just the classical, the GS1000i could have been a good choice (they sounded very good in general in that genre). But the PS1000 simply sounds more balanced and refined - everything simply is in place with them. The treble of the GS1000i was simply too much for my liking, some female voices was really "ssssssssSSSSSSSSSSSsssssssss" - even if they become a little bit better after some break in (made by me during the audition).

I began the audition with my RS-2 to have the basic reference set, from there I went to the GS1000i and finally for the PS1000. I like the RS-2 very much because they have the optimum combination of a warm sound but clear and forward on the same time. The RS-1i is a little bit too bright for my liking. The GS1000i to my ears is more in the line of the RS-1i rather than the RS-2 with flats. The PS1000 is in comparison going in the same direction as the RS-2 but adds details and soundstage etc to the mix. But my impression is that they basical balance is similar - i.e a step forward in all aspects without any negative effects. The GS1000i is a step forward in some areas and a step backward in others - I can understand why Grado developed the PS1000.

What I will do later today is to connect the system properly, I am now powering the PS1000 straight out of the MacBook Pro for the low level break in.

Jul 10, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #197 of 3,605
AVR4000, your set-up sounds fantastic. I'm glad you are enjoying it. I just received my v-link and m1dac last week, therefore my set-up is identical except I have a use the woo wa22 as a headphone amp. Enjoy

Jul 11, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #198 of 3,605
Quote:
I began the audition with my RS-2 to have the basic reference set, from there I went to the GS1000i and finally for the PS1000. I like the RS-2 very much because they have the optimum combination of a warm sound but clear and forward on the same time. The RS-1i is a little bit too bright for my liking. The GS1000i to my ears is more in the line of the RS-1i rather than the RS-2 with flats. The PS1000 is in comparison going in the same direction as the RS-2 but adds details and soundstage etc to the mix. But my impression is that they basical balance is similar - i.e a step forward in all aspects without any negative effects.

This is my take exactly, as I believe I am on record as having expressed in another recent thread. In any event, congratulations on your PS1000. The day mine arrived in the mail is still fresh in my mind.

Jul 11, 2011 at 8:14 PM Post #199 of 3,605

Quote:
I'm still unsure about whether I want to keep them or not, though. I can only afford to keep one really high end headphone right now, and I think I might want to try some Omegas. I remember some people said they preferred their PS1000 to the O2. If you wouldn't mind, could you elaborate on why you do? I will have a really hard time parting with these, but I think my Magnums might provide me with enough of the Grado sound to satisfy me. I really can't decide though.

As rgs9200m said above, you need to try the O2s out first. The PS1000s are easier to power. They are fickle, but you can actually properly amp them for a reasonable price.

There are three versions of the O2 (mk1, mk2, and mk2.5), and I've heard them all on a variety of different amps. IMO, you need a KGSS or BH (which are not exactly easily available) for the O2s to have controlled bass (and smooth highs), otherwise you will get blubbery boom boom, especially with the O2mk2. The O2mk2.5 seems to sound OK with SRM323. The O2s will have that amazing stat transient response, but still sound dark compared to the PS1000s.

Jul 11, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #200 of 3,605

Quote:

As rgs9200m said above, you need to try the O2s out first. The PS1000s are easier to power. They are fickle, but you can actually properly amp them for a reasonable price.

There are three versions of the O2 (mk1, mk2, and mk2.5), and I've heard them all on a variety of different amps. IMO, you need a KGSS or BH (which are not exactly easily available) for the O2s to have controlled bass (and smooth highs), otherwise you will get blubbery boom boom, especially with the O2mk2. The O2mk2.5 seems to sound OK with SRM323. The O2s will have that amazing stat transient response, but still sound dark compared to the PS1000s.

How do you identify an O2mk2.5???

Jul 24, 2011 at 3:07 PM Post #201 of 3,605
I just got my PS-1000 a few days ago. Comparing them to my old Bose AE is easy, PS-1000 is better at everything. I didn't need to put the Bose' back to come to that conclusion. However, today I did, and they are ok for casual listening, they produce the melodies and they are comfortable.

But when it comes to sitting down and really enjoying and feeling music it's not just about the melody it's something else. I can't explain it but I guess you understand what I mean.

The Bose never made me emotional, the PS-1000 made me cry twice in like three days.

Also, with the PS-1000 I suddenly heard the actual lyrics in lots of song. Like Metallica's Memory Remains, opening phrase, I thought he sang:

Fortune fades...

Actually he sings:

Fortune, fame...

Lots of before blurry lyrics, suddenly becomes real words. It's great.

I could go on about it all day but who cares? :)

Jul 25, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #202 of 3,605
From AE2 to PS1000 must be quite a dramatic jump. I could cry just thinking about it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Congratulations on choosing a fantastic headphone. Here's hoping you get as many hours of enjoyment out of it as the rest of us. Welcome to Head-Fi!

Jul 27, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #206 of 3,605

Quote:
For other fellow PS1000 owners, if you had to pick one, which other headphone would you choose to compliment you PS1000's?

if you want to get another headphone, get one for portability. one you can take out of the house and is light and possibly closed. no need to spend a fortune for this.

I agree with majkel about focusing on the signal path for one uber set of headphones instead of getting a second high end pair of cans

Jul 27, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #207 of 3,605
Quote:
For other fellow PS1000 owners, if you had to pick one, which other headphone would you choose to compliment you PS1000's?

Probably the Edition 8 -- so you get small, closed and portable (I assume you mean cost-no-object), to counter the large, open and immobile PS1000. I have my problems with the Edition 8, but they are not sonic (mainly that it's too blingy and expensive to be truly "portable" in my book, and they are too small and cramped to be an ideal home model). I might say the AH-D7000 if I didn't have zero faith in their build.

Jul 28, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #208 of 3,605

Quote:

I use HP-2's or the Magnums to compliment. I would worry more about the gear upstream....or just buy some new Music, thus you would be too busy to worry about other phones
wink.gif

Jul 28, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #209 of 3,605
I threw out the question to more or less test the waters. I have no desire to add another set of cans to my repetoire, and others seem to agree. I think this gives testimate to the ps1000's performance and versatility.

Jul 29, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #210 of 3,605
Quote:
I threw out the question to more or less test the waters. I have no desire to add another set of cans to my repetoire, and others seem to agree. I think this gives testimate to the ps1000's performance and versatility.

Aren't I the fool for actually trying to answer your question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back