PS1000 Impressions Thread
Apr 17, 2011 at 9:49 AM Post #181 of 3,605
I've only had mine for a relatively short time too but for long enough to sense that my dynamic headphone journey has probably ended here. Now if that isn't appreciation then I don't know what is. Happy listening! 
smile_phones.gif

Apr 18, 2011 at 12:01 AM Post #182 of 3,605
I had a slight, nagging worry about the bass for the first one or two hundred hours (documented in this thread I believe), but that is now gone. I have grown to love the PS1000 bass, or has it grown to love me?

Apr 18, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #183 of 3,605
I know a couple of you have sent your headphones in to Grado before. For those of you that have, would you mind telling me what the turnaround time was? I sent my headphones to Grado Labs, and they received them a week ago. I just called today to check on the status, and they said they received them but haven't looked at them yet and it will be at least a couple of weeks before they get around to it. It's just kind of frustrating because when I first called they made it seem like it would be a relatively quick turnaround, not almost a month. It's even more frustrating that I just need someone to listen to them and compare them to other PS1000s they have around and see if anything is wrong with them. Shouldn't take very long at all. But, I digress. Maybe they're very busy these days...

Apr 18, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #184 of 3,605

Quote:
I know a couple of you have sent your headphones in to Grado before. For those of you that have, would you mind telling me what the turnaround time was? I sent my headphones to Grado Labs, and they received them a week ago. I just called today to check on the status, and they said they received them but haven't looked at them yet and it will be at least a couple of weeks before they get around to it. It's just kind of frustrating because when I first called they made it seem like it would be a relatively quick turnaround, not almost a month. It's even more frustrating that I just need someone to listen to them and compare them to other PS1000s they have around and see if anything is wrong with them. Shouldn't take very long at all. But, I digress. Maybe they're very busy these days...

I have a feeling that when they told you they would "look" at them, They meant they would test them and let the headphones run for a day or two to make sure everything is working properly. That is their normal practice. Usually one person is assigned for this task. If he/she is away, all repair work stopped. I also send my PS1000 in for them to check last year. They couldn't start for a couple of weeks because it was too cold in New York ( the wood would crack). I don't think they would just do a quick listen and send the phones back to you.
It will be fine. You will soon get your headphones back and they will be as good as new. :)

Apr 18, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #185 of 3,605

Quote:
I have a feeling that when they told you they would "look" at them, They meant they would test them and let the headphones run for a day or two to make sure everything is working properly. That is their normal practice. Usually one person is assigned for this task. If he/she is away, all repair work stopped. I also send my PS1000 in for them to check last year. They couldn't start for a couple of weeks because it was too cold in New York ( the wood would crack). I don't think they would just do a quick listen and send the phones back to you.
It will be fine. You will soon get your headphones back and they will be as good as new. :)

Well that's comforting to hear. I didn't know they had repairmen specialized in each headphone. I'm eager to get them back to hear them again, but I will patiently wait if it means I will get a comprehensive suite of tests performed. Thanks for the heads up pcf, I didn't know this was their normal turn around time, but I also didn't know they were that meticulous when testing the headphones (given their apparent problems with quality control with these headphones it's quite surprising, but maybe they only get very meticulous when someone sends the headphones back haha)

Apr 18, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #186 of 3,605
I'm curious why it took so long for folks to realize how nice the PS1000 is - I bought mine almost two years ago, shortly after they first came out (I think my serial number is in the 200s?), and the reaction, in general was - dead silence.   Very strange.   I've been lucky so far - no problems (other than the annoying tiny black spot cosmetic issue).    Well, sounds like they're finally catching on - at least 13 pages' worth...

Apr 19, 2011 at 9:03 AM Post #188 of 3,605

Quote:
I'm curious why it took so long for folks to realize how nice the PS1000 is - I bought mine almost two years ago, shortly after they first came out (I think my serial number is in the 200s?), and the reaction, in general was - dead silence.   Very strange.   I've been lucky so far - no problems (other than the annoying tiny black spot cosmetic issue).    Well, sounds like they're finally catching on - at least 13 pages' worth...

The word fickle comes to mind. 

Quote:
The truth will out. Even on a headphone forum, I guess.

Don't hold your breath. I'm content being in the minority.

Apr 19, 2011 at 12:56 PM Post #189 of 3,605
I sent out my Grado RS1 and they told me two weeks minimum.  It's been almost two weeks but from the sound of it, they don't hurry for no one.
I guess that's a good thing but...they do take their sweet time.

Quote:
Well that's comforting to hear. I didn't know they had repairmen specialized in each headphone. I'm eager to get them back to hear them again, but I will patiently wait if it means I will get a comprehensive suite of tests performed. Thanks for the heads up pcf, I didn't know this was their normal turn around time, but I also didn't know they were that meticulous when testing the headphones (given their apparent problems with quality control with these headphones it's quite surprising, but maybe they only get very meticulous when someone sends the headphones back haha)

May 9, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #190 of 3,605
Just got my PS1000s back from Grado today! They didn't say if there was anything wrong with the pair I had, but I really suspect there was. I think they actually sent me a new pair. I have to go check my box to see what the serial number was, but I think the pair I just got back is actually 3 numbers above my old one. On the invoice they included it just said PS1000 service, but I'm nearly positive they just scrapped the old pair and sent me a new one. I think they really need to get a handle on their quality control, but I have to say I'm satisfied that they took care of me and fixed what needed to be fixed. At least they stood behind their product, replaced it, and shipped it back to me for free.

Also, I'm really loving this new pair. Sounds absolutely fantastic! I'm still unsure about whether I want to keep them or not, though. I can only afford to keep one really high end headphone right now, and I think I might want to try some Omegas. I remember some people said they preferred their PS1000 to the O2. If you wouldn't mind, could you elaborate on why you do? I will have a really hard time parting with these, but I think my Magnums might provide me with enough of the Grado sound to satisfy me. I really can't decide though.

May 9, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #191 of 3,605
Don't commit to Omegas until you test them out for comfort. They press on my ears w/o enough padding and don't pass the comfort test for me.
I think the PS1000s are very comfortable around the ears, but I put a strip of foam under the headband which is too hard for the top of my head.
Then they are great.

May 9, 2011 at 8:10 PM Post #192 of 3,605

Quote:
Don't commit to Omegas until you test them out for comfort. They press on my ears w/o enough padding and don't pass the comfort test for me.
I think the PS1000s are very comfortable around the ears, but I put a strip of foam under the headband which is too hard for the top of my head.
Then they are great.

Thanks for the tip! I think I'll be able to try out the Omegas near the end of this month, so I'll hold off on any decisions until then. Any opinions soundwise between the two?

By the way, I had the same problem about the comfort on the top of my head. I put a beyer headband pad on and that solved it. I'd imagine a JMoney headband would solve the issue too.

May 16, 2011 at 11:45 PM Post #193 of 3,605
Omegas and PS1000s are really different animals. If you've heard them, the Omegas are like Quad speakers (panels) and the PS1000s are like big multidriver dynamic speakers, like Aerials.
Omegas are all about delicate sounds, precision, microscopic detail and layering, modest but articulate bass, and a realistic portrayal of tonality for vocals and instruments.
The Grados are about a bold but believable soundspace and big, strong bass. You have to be a little careful of the amp to keep the bass from getting out of hand or "gurgly."
But once the bass is controlled, there is very nice tonality and palpability and nice round fleshed-out images and a nice balance between smoothess and texture.

T1s are kind of a cross between these 2 approaches, and are really nice when balanced (mine with Zeus Hex22). I'm working on balancing my PS1000s.

I looked at the Jmoney pads but I didn't want to detach the anything.

Jul 10, 2011 at 11:46 AM Post #194 of 3,605
I have joined the Grado PS1000 club. They were delivered a few days ago and I am breaking them in now. I am extremely pleased with their sound (even before break in) but I will wait with a detailed opinion until they have more hours on them. But they sound exactly according to my preferences. It's like a "Refined RS-2" to me - a very good step up from the classic buttoned RS-2 with flats. It retains the nice balance from those RS-2s and add refinement, soundstage and details to the mix with a very pleasing sound as a result.

I entered the Land of Grado with SR-80 which convinced me to go RS-2 for the stationary setup, in 2010 I upgraded the portable setup to SR-225i and now finally I replaced my old speaker based system with a completely new Head-Fi station with the PS1000 powered by the Musical Fidelity M1HPA that got it's signal from the M1DAC fed through a V-Link from the computer. An iPad is used as a remote control.

Jul 10, 2011 at 1:22 PM Post #195 of 3,605
I remember you from another thread. So you went for the PS1000 in the end. Congratulations and I suggest that you err on the side of caution with burn-in, as I don't think that Grado recommends it for the PS1000. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back