PS1000 Impressions Thread
Jan 15, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #1,366 of 3,605
  Tape on a $1700.00 HP???
They deserve better than that! 
Chrome shaft collars are under $4.00…for 2 sets (4-pack) of them with allen wrench/set screws included. 
smile.gif

Actually mine are 850$ :)
Can you post a link to the collars on eBay? I am not from the US

Jan 15, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #1,368 of 3,605
  Problem solved very simply, I don't understand why owners of the PPS1K's don't do this?
I've had to have said/posted this 5+ times. 
smile.gif

I would love to see something similar to the HP-1, where you can lock your headphones into place with that screw thing. It would also look really awesome.

Jan 15, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #1,369 of 3,605
  Problem solved very simply, I don't understand why owners of the PPS1K's don't do this?
I've had to have said/posted this 5+ times. 
smile.gif

That is a pretty slick solution. Looks decent as well.

Jan 15, 2015 at 7:37 PM Post #1,370 of 3,605
  Actually mine are 850$ :)
Can you post a link to the collars on eBay? I am not from the US

Retail ($1695.00).
I bought mine from a local hobby shop…this is the only 1/8" (black) shaft collars I see on eBay, but there nice in (black) also;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-8-Bore-Shaft-Collar-With-6-32-Set-Screw-Black-Oxide-Finish-SC125BO-/260976963313?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc3706ef1

Quote:

I would love to see something similar to the HP-1, where you can lock your headphones into place with that screw thing. It would also look really awesome.

I did something similar to my first pair of 80's with knurled thumb screws going through the back side of the rod blocks, but didn't last…they kept backing out and eventually the plastic thread (rod block)  stripped, so I would have had to press a threaded metal/aluminum sleeve into the rod block for it to work properly, but then found the shaft collars in my box of stuff from a remote controlled car I had built in 1991, so I used them instead. The shaft collars are actually better because they allow the cups to swivel freely to the shape of your head/ears.

That is a pretty slick solution. Looks decent as well.

Thank you, I use them on all of my Grado's to keep my desired height.

Jan 15, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #1,371 of 3,605
  Retail ($1695.00).
I bought mine from a local hobby shop…this is the only 1/8" (black) shaft collars I see on eBay, but there nice in (black) also;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-8-Bore-Shaft-Collar-With-6-32-Set-Screw-Black-Oxide-Finish-SC125BO-/260976963313?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc3706ef1
I did something similar to my first pair of 80's with knurled thumb screws going through the back side of the rod blocks, but didn't last…they kept backing out and eventually the plastic thread (rod block)  stripped, so I would have had to press a threaded metal/aluminum sleeve into the rod block for it to work properly, but then found the shaft collars in my box of stuff from a remote controlled car I had built in 1991, so I used them instead. The shaft collars are actually better because they allow the cups to swivel freely to the shape of your head/ears.

Thank you, I use them on all of my Grado's to keep my desired height.

I am ok with the swivel, maybe a bit more resistance on that, but seriously, metal rod blocks with the screws would be sublime!

Jan 15, 2015 at 11:23 PM Post #1,373 of 3,605
  Yeah, I wouldn't mind some aluminum rod blocks myself.

Hm, I wonder whether you could by those aluminium rod blocks from Grado directly, and do the modification yourself... *pensive*

Jan 15, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #1,374 of 3,605

Hm, I wonder whether you could by those aluminium rod blocks from Grado directly, and do the modification yourself... *pensive*

Do you mean the HP models aluminum adjustable rod blocks with the thumb screws?
I don't think so, I don't believe they make them anymore…but Martin Customs sells aluminum rod block for Grado's (with set screws, I believe) but of course your going to pay good money for them. I don't have any issue what so ever with the plastic rod blocks on any of my Grado's, I was just saying that of course I wouldn't mind Grado providing aluminum rod blocks "stock" on the RS/GS/PS models, but I would never buy them from MC just for aesthetic reasons.

Jan 16, 2015 at 1:18 AM Post #1,375 of 3,605
I use cable ties. Affix ties to shaft and pull tight. Slide off shaft and give it one more click to tighten even more. Then slide back on. Collar shafts look nicer though.

Jan 16, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #1,376 of 3,605
Contacted the seller where i paid for my shaft collars.

I ordered them on the 1st of december. He'll get them in february.

+1 on Grado bringing back the aluminium rodblocks with screws.

having to mod a $2000 headphone to have it seated properly is laughable at best.

Jan 16, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #1,377 of 3,605
Martin Custom Audio is also an option for upgrading the rod blocks. I picked up a set for my GS1ks when I had them...liked them quite a lot. Pricey, but I was happy with the purchase. 

Jan 17, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #1,378 of 3,605
Contacted the seller where i paid for my shaft collars.

I ordered them on the 1st of december. He'll get them in february.

+1 on Grado bringing back the aluminium rodblocks with screws.

having to mod a $2000 headphone to have it seated properly is laughable at best.

Lol! I mean... there are alternatives you know... like Beats by "Doctor" Dre... :wink:

Jan 17, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #1,379 of 3,605
  Martin Custom Audio is also an option for upgrading the rod blocks. I picked up a set for my GS1ks when I had them...liked them quite a lot. Pricey, but I was happy with the purchase. 

Do you have any pictures of the modded blocks?

Jan 17, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #1,380 of 3,605

Users who are viewing this thread

Back