PS1000 Impressions Thread
Jul 18, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #1,051 of 3,605
I agree %100 with Justin_Time about the importance of system synergy. I'd choose a $1000 well balanced system, over a $2000 one, that was just thrown together.

My PS1000 actually sound better out of my $125 Little Dot 1+ (with stock tubes), than they do out of Grado's own, HPA-2 amp wich used to cost $795 new in the early 90's, and $125, for the matching PS-1 power supply.

Jul 18, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #1,052 of 3,605

I haven't heard the PS1000 on as many amps as Justin_Time but I've heard it on a few decent ones before (Burson 160, Soloist and ALO Amphora) and, I must say, the sound from the MAD Ear+ and the PS1000 is really impressive - the best I've heard the PS1000. (FYI, DAC is the Emotiva DC-1)

Absolutely musical. No harshness, great detail, very good soundstage and imaging. Extremely clear and detailed vocals. And a very involving, toe tapping experience that one hopes to get with a Grado headphone.

The only issue is a bit of boominess to the midbass using the stock Ear+ tubes and DC-1 DAC. I don't know if that's something that can be better controlled with a different amp with lower output Z or if it's something a better tube can help fix. Maybe the DC-1 is partly contributing to this? I know that part of that is inherent to the PS1000 itself but I think that it's possible for changes in upstream gear to slightly tighten this up. Overal, a minor issue for an otherwise amazing listening experience.

Completely agreed about the boomy bass.

Unfortunately, the PS1000 has nothing below 50 Hz or so (according to my ears, not measurments) and a pretty hefty hump around 100 Hz or so. Tough to overcome with tube amps which tends to emphasize the same region.

I have not "rolled" the tubes with the MAD Ear--tough to justify the cost with such moderately priced amp--so I cannot tell how effective I could be.

I found that the GS-X Mk2 and the Woo WA5 (or WA5 LE), the former in paticular, did amuch better job of controlling the mid-bass, making it a little tigher less boomy. The Bakoon BHA-21 and EAR HP-4 were less successful in this area though they were a little more musical overall. But none of them could compltely eliminate the "bloom" in the PS1000 bass because the mid-bass and upper-bass hump on this two-hump camel is quite substantial.

But with Rock, this is just what the doctor oredered!

You can actually roll tubes for the Mad Ear without really breaking the bank....much cheaper than many amps of the same price range.

Jul 18, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #1,053 of 3,605
I have two on the way, actually :)

a Valvo with slanted getter and a Siemens (not much info on the siemens, it was a free, late addition from the seller). If they make  difference, I’ll pop in with an update here and in the Ear+ thread.

Jul 18, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #1,054 of 3,605
  You can actually roll tubes for the Mad Ear without really breaking the bank....much cheaper than many amps of the same price range.

Agreed. And Dr P's gear responds really well to tube rolling. His Line 2A-SE was my first tube preamp (speakers) and I had a blast tube rolling with that thing. I didn't know any better at first since I was a tube noob, but once I had my tube guy make some recommendations it really started shining. I still remember the first day I had my brother listen to my audio rig (he doesn't get high end audio at all, so he's a great sounding board for me) the look on  his face said it all. If I ever bump up to the PS1ks, Dr P will be getting another call from me for sure. 

Jul 18, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #1,055 of 3,605

of the tubes i have, not a one over a hundred bucks

Jul 19, 2014 at 12:07 AM Post #1,056 of 3,605

You are right but it all depends on what you want.

The 12B4A aren't too bad.

A JJ/Tesla ECC83G/12AX7 or JAN Phillips 5751 aren't too pricey either.  Even with the Black Sable cryo treatment, they run only around $50 or less..

But a great 12AX7 can be expensive.  A Mullard 12AX7--by far my favorite--are getting nearly impossible to find and will run well over $150 each.  A Black Sable version will set you back $200-$250.

Once you hear the oh so smooth sound of the Mullard 12AX7, however, you may never be able to settle for anything less.

Cheers!

Jul 19, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #1,057 of 3,605
Out of curiosity, I wanted to see how the PS1000 would sound fed by my tiny 7th gen ipod nano.

I was surprised - it did quite well. Yes, I had to put the volume at near max to reach my preferred listening level but the sound it produced was really nice considering the cost and size.

Some notes compared to my DC-1, Ear+:

1. Bass is slightly tighter and less boomy on the desktop setup.
  2. Highs (specifically violins and cymbals here) are slightly smoother and more refined. But there is no painful glare or sibilance - just a bit grainier.
  3. Imaging is more precise with some recordings. It’s easier to pick out some background instrument in space than with the ipod. but it’s not like the instrument is lost of muddled entirely coming from the ipod - it’s just a slightly hazier location in space.
  4. Soundstage is larger in width/depth on the desktop. probably the biggest difference but not every song actually has a large soundstage so this is more obvious only if the recording calls for it.

All in all, I’d consider the improvements nice but not earth shattering. it’s nice to know I could head out to my patio and listen to the ps1000 in a pinch with the ipod and not feel like it’s a totally compromised experience. Just a bit less expansive and refined.

It’s funny that the ipod out does not bring out the same level of treble harshness that I felt these headphones exhibited on the $1k Burson Soloist. iPod out is certainly more polite - it’s actually a decent match for the PS1000 considering the PS1000s more aggressive nature (ignoring such aspects as refinement and soundstage).

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #1,058 of 3,605
As I've said before, Grados will play good out of just about anything even a canary's butt.

Jul 20, 2014 at 12:53 AM Post #1,060 of 3,605
I must purchase a canary...

Jul 20, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #1,061 of 3,605
No kvtako17, don't do that, it was just a figure of speach, it doesn't actually work, plus, you're going to hurt the bird!.

Jul 20, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #1,062 of 3,605
  No kvtako17, don't do that, it was just a figure of speach, it doesn't actually work, plus, you're going to hurt the bird!.

Figured that out last night 1/4th inch jacks never seemed so big/fit to tight...

On a lighter note, sound stage got much bigger! lol

Jul 20, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #1,063 of 3,605
Jul 20, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #1,065 of 3,605
There more than one kind of canary?

off to the pet store to roll birds!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back