PS1000 Impressions Thread
Feb 16, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #796 of 3,605
Cool, yeah I'm not up on the digital downloads either, tried iTunes once but didn't like there customer service, nor there program. I like amazon's service but don't like there Music quality. But I do like cds, I know that the loudness wars has really affected cds usable dynamic range, but they rip into flac well and have a backup in case of hard drive failure.

May try the Little dot, but my Grados sound good with just the stx, so the only way I would replace it would be if the amp were a definite upgrade, although I May build my own using one of the many schematics I see online

Feb 17, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #797 of 3,605
Just wanted to add a suggestion.  You may want to download WinAmp and the Maiko Wasapi plugin for it.

See this previous post for more detail  http://www.head-fi.org/t/588677/a-short-audiophile-guide-to-winamp-w-maiko-wasapi 

May give you an opportunity to sample new music via streaming radio, some in 320kb ...Baroque, etc.  Gives you an idea where the PS-1000 really shines.

Worth looking into IMO.

Feb 17, 2014 at 5:13 AM Post #798 of 3,605
Right now I'm listening to them through my pc with an asus essence stx sound card, and admittedly, they don't sound quite as good as the ones I first heard (going by memory), but through various tweaks and settings such as finding the uni software drivers and hifi setting along with asio through foobar2000, I think I got them as good as this setup will allow :-B

I have been told that both the woo wa7 and the slee ultra linear diamond would both be solid upgrades, one tube and one ss. I was considering building one and had pretty much narrowed it down to the bottlehead mainline, if I went that route. So at the moment I have three options I am considering, though I have plenty of time to consider as it will take me some time to save up enough. Wa7 would make the most sense with its built in dac, although the stx could do as a dac too for awhile and then maybe a bifrost down the road.

I am definitely open to suggestions and advice though. I have plenty of time, and I'm technically skilled enough to do most diy stuff, if I can find a good wiring diagram, and preferably a guide with suggestions for build (mostly so I can get ideas for improvements and pitfalls since audio components are so finicky sometimes).

Thanks again for the replies :)

Just FYI, the Graham Slee is what the Grado Europe folks use at shows. Supposedly it has fantastic synergy. 

Feb 20, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #800 of 3,605
omg, I thought the ps1000 sounded just fine running off my asus stx...I just got done listening to it off of a friends wa22, and blown away doesnt begin to describe it.  I was one of those who thought that amps and dacs wouldn't matter a whole lot, was thinking 10percent or so. His setup has opened my eyes, as I find the bass tighter yet perfectly timed, absolutely perfect mids and highs that are clear and spacious.

I spent about 45 minutes listening to as much as I could, and I know exactly what I need to acquire next.

As a side note, I did get to listen to the hd800 again, on his setup, and I still prefer the ps1000, maybe even more so on his setup.  hd800 had tremendous soundstage, but it seemed way to spread out, with the stuff in the back being way to soft in comparison the the stuff in the front.  I will say that other than that they were impressive headphones.  As for listening to music though, I think I made the right choice with the Grado's :)    There is an edge, and aggressiveness that fills the space with ultra detail with the Grado's, didnt know how to describe it until I heard it on the woo, without the woo the detail seemed to be right on my head, the woo helped push it out further from my head, but by no means mellowing the sound at all, just the perfect distance to where I can really hear my headphones, and I love it.

Now that I'm back home and listening to them again on my stx, I decided that I love my headphones even more, now that I heard what they can sound like, it makes me appreciate how they sound even more.  I know I will never tire of this sound.  I also know what I must do.

I guess tomorrow its time to look for a part time job to go along with my full time job.  Got to fund my new found love

Feb 20, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #801 of 3,605
I'm happy for you flaillure, does that mean that you want to go with the WA22?

Feb 20, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #802 of 3,605
  I'm happy for you flaillure, does that mean that you want to go with the WA22?

More than likely, although I will keep my ears open.  It may be that there are other more affordable amps that can open the ps1000 the way that the wa22 did.  I cannot imagine any amp taking them further.  Still somewhat in shell shock.  

I will be spending quite a bit of time at my friends house and doing some as much comparison as I can

Mar 29, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #803 of 3,605
Can anyone recommend a more comfortable aftermarket headband for these phones? The stock headband hurts the top of my head after say an hour. I want something more luxurious and comfortable. Anyone have any good experiences with aftermarket bands?

Mar 29, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #804 of 3,605
  Can anyone recommend a more comfortable aftermarket headband for these phones? The stock headband hurts the top of my head after say an hour. I want something more luxurious and comfortable. Anyone have any good experiences with aftermarket bands?

http://turbulentlabs.com/grado-saddle-manta/

Mar 30, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #805 of 3,605
Mar 30, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #806 of 3,605
Have you actually tried it?

No, I have not....I should have mentioned that.

I am solely going on others peoples word who have bought this headband........many head-fiers have used it.

I have never felt the need to upgrade Grado.s headband.....I am fine with their comfort and quality.

Mar 30, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #807 of 3,605
I'm using the headband from martins custom audio and its much cushier than the stock grado....however, to be honest I didnt have a problem with the stock pad, it never bothered me once I got it bent into the right position, so I dont know if it would be a big enough upgrade for you.  I can attest that it is well made and very plush

Mar 31, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #809 of 3,605
They'll never be as comfortable as the GS1000, they're simply too heavy.

Apr 11, 2014 at 4:08 AM Post #810 of 3,605
Got my PS1000 for more than 8 months, at first found them a bit too bright, but that was with burson HA160 and burson DAC.
With the fostex HPA8, the PS1000 shines, it's incredible.
Sadly due to change of habit, I need to get rid of the fostex, and need to find just an amp (moving to a W4S dac 2 DSD) that can get along well with the PS1000. So far the WA6 SE is on my list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back