PS1000 Impressions Thread
May 20, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #2,011 of 3,605
  Congratulations, enjoy them!

Just letting you know, there is only an (e) series, never was an (i) series even though some authorized dealer have advertised the
PS-1000 as a PS1000i…this is not true, and was confirmed by Grado before I made my purchase. 
smile.gif

The PS1000s were released after the "i" series was introduced, so no need to have an "improved" version since there was no predecessor. 

May 20, 2015 at 10:01 PM Post #2,013 of 3,605
Just letting you know, there is only an (e) series, never was an (i) series even though some authorized dealer have advertised the
PS-1000 as a PS1000i…this is not true, and was confirmed by Grado before I made my purchase. :smile:  

Hehe. Yeah, I wondered about that. I actually never saw a dealer calling them "i", but several people here on hf have used that term. I looked and looked, and looked for that "i" on the packaging, and the hp's themselves, so it DID seem a bit strange for them to have that letter attached to the name. Good to know! :blush::thumbsup:

May 20, 2015 at 10:50 PM Post #2,015 of 3,605
I've got a Musical Fidelity HPA M1 - Burson DA-160 Dac and the Mad Ear+

Looking forward to writing some impressions.

Mad Ear+, the amp I covet:cry:, and the Burson should be a killer combination!!!!!

May 20, 2015 at 10:52 PM Post #2,016 of 3,605
Yeah. I'm aware that this could be a complete waste, but for that price I'm risking it. Sometimes these type of things comes from the exact same factories. If I score, I will probably get one or two more sets. If not, I will get two overpriced sponges that probably will work perfectly for washing my car, and then get the official ones.

Regarding the RS1. Grrr. I should really stay away from this site. I barely start to befriend a set, and then comes another potential friend, then another, then... Yeah, you get the picture. I'm willing to bet that at some point, I will own a RS1 and a GS1000e (which I tried and loved). Not to forget a LCD2 (or another Audenze), some kind of Hifiman etc. etc. And dont even get me started on the amps... I... must... resist. (or die at the hands of my woman, which I recently bought a house with).

I've never tryed earzonk earpads myself, but I'm surprised that nobody has posted on this subject yet. I remember reading post from Head-Fi members that had bought earzonk. Even if they don't have G-cush specifically, their pads must all have pretty much the same density.

You're preaching to the choir. That's why I only own Grados. I know myself, and if I start to venture off towards other brands, I'll want to own their flagships, and it'd get expensive real fast.

That being said, I think that the PS1K/GS1K, and the RS1/RS2, or any model from the SR serie, complete each other very well. It's nice to have one pair that's big and spacey, and one that's up close and personnel.

May 20, 2015 at 10:59 PM Post #2,017 of 3,605

The PS1000s were released after the "i" series was introduced, so no need to have an "improved" version since there was no predecessor. 

I think that instead of calling it the ''i'' serie, Grado should have called it the ''d'' serie, and then instead of  going with ''e'' , they could've went with ''d+''.

Just saying.

May 21, 2015 at 12:11 AM Post #2,020 of 3,605
May 21, 2015 at 12:18 AM Post #2,021 of 3,605

So based on what you're saying, since my RS1 have a serial number (2390), they have pink drivers?, because I just looked, and my drivers don't appear to be pink.
confused.gif

Quote:
One of the several reasons... (snip)

This is subjective, so it's a tough question to answer, and after rereading Worms's post, he's right, when he says that the kind of music you listen to, has to be taken into consideration. I prefer to use my GS/PS1k, for live and big venue recordings. Their  wider soundstage sound's more realistic than the RS1's, with this genre.

I love my PS1000 almost as much as you do Chris, but their mids are much more recessed than RS1's, wich gives the later a more intimate, and in my opinion, because of this, the RS1, are the more engaging of the two.

Regarding the PS1k's replacement earpads, don't forget that Grados are VERY sensitive when it comes to those things. The size and shape may be the same, but their density are rarely the same as Grado's oem pads..   

sorry if my post was a bit confusing. Only on the very early Rs1's, the drivers turned into the pink drivers Rs1. As far as I remember reading, it's usually associated with the ones that came in wooden boxes, but I might be wrong.
I've had a couple of Classic Rs1 that came after the wooden boxes era, that predated serial numbers also, they look exactly like the ones you have (same box even), the drivers never changed into the pink color, so there was a difference in materials somewhere. Mine have a black "cheesecloth" covering the drivers btw, if that makes any difference?

This is subjective, so it's a tough question to answer, and after rereading Worms's post, he's right, when he says that the kind of music you listen to, has to be taken into consideration. I prefer to use my GS/PS1k, for live and big venue recordings. Their  wider soundstage sound's more realistic than the RS1's, with this genre.

I love my PS1000 almost as much as you do Chris, but their mids are much more recessed than RS1's, wich gives the later a more intimate, and in my opinion, because of this, the RS1, are the more engaging of the two.

Regarding the PS1k's replacement earpads, don't forget that Grados are VERY sensitive when it comes to those things. The size and shape may be the same, but their density are rarely the same as Grado's oem pads..   

Yeah. I'm aware that this could be a complete waste, but for that price I'm risking it. Sometimes these type of things comes from the exact same factories. If I score, I will probably get one or two more sets. If not, I will get two overpriced sponges that probably will work perfectly for washing my car, and then get the official ones.

Regarding the RS1. Grrr. I should really stay away from this site. I barely start to befriend a set, and then comes another potential friend, then another, then... Yeah, you get the picture. I'm willing to bet that at some point, I will own a RS1 and a GS1000e (which I tried and loved). Not to forget a LCD2 (or another Audenze), some kind of Hifiman etc. etc. And dont even get me started on the amps... I... must... resist. (or die at the hands of my woman, which I recently bought a house with).

They will definitely be different from the Grados ones and have a different sound IMO. I do like the Earzonk pads and they come in handy when you have a few Grados to mess around with. I like them as a side-grade or alternative if you will, NOT as a replacement for the Gs1k or Ps1k. I usually use them for my frankenstein Sr225 in metal cups and Sr325 that have been modded, they were also pretty nice on the ps500e if i remember correctly. To be honest i only tried them once on the Gs1k and Ps1k and didn't like it, not versus the real thing anyway.

May 21, 2015 at 4:33 AM Post #2,022 of 3,605
I've never tryed earzonk earpads myself, but I'm surprised that nobody has posted on this subject yet. I remember reading post from Head-Fi members that had bought earzonk. Even if they don't have G-cush specifically, their pads must all have pretty much the same density.

You're preaching to the choir. That's why I only own Grados. I know myself, and if I start to venture off towards other brands, I'll want to own their flagships, and it'd get expensive real fast.

That being said, I think that the PS1K/GS1K, and the RS1/RS2, or any model from the SR serie, complete each other very well. It's nice to have one pair that's big and spacey, and one that's up close and personnel.

Yeah, I think the RS1e's probably will be my next Grados, BUT I think I will have to prioritize the Hifiman 400i's as my next ones, due to my additional interest in electronic music. Didn't like the construction of the 400's at all, but the i's seem a lot better in that regard. What sucks is that I had the chance to buy the gs1000i's at 40% off, demo used with full warranty, but I really had to choose between them and the ps1000's. Btw, as a sidetrack; I find it extremely funny that some people regard the hifi-community as a people with placebo induced aural psychosises. They must have a very limited concept in regards to really listening to music and feeling it, and accepting that money really is a requirement for proper technology to be developed and manufactured. So there!

PS: Just recently finally bought the HD650's. Perhaps they will fill the role of the RS1 to SOME extent? I do find the sound of them very "intimate" and "close". Not saying that they are the same thing, just to be clear.

They will definitely be different from the Grados ones and have a different sound IMO. I do like the Earzonk pads and they come in handy when you have a few Grados to mess around with. I like them as a side-grade or alternative if you will, NOT as a replacement for the Gs1k or Ps1k. I usually use them for my frankenstein Sr225 in metal cups and Sr325 that have been modded, they were also pretty nice on the ps500e if i remember correctly. To be honest i only tried them once on the Gs1k and Ps1k and didn't like it, not versus the real thing anyway.

Ok. Thanks for your feedback. I guess I will just order the original cushions then, and keep these ones for later sets. :)

Edit: And there you go. Purchased a Hifiman 400 (not the i version) just because I couldn't resist. Dork. My gf will most definitely be unhappy about this, as I purchased the 650's only a week ago, and we're supposed to buy a car soon ;p

May 21, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #2,023 of 3,605

I've had the EarZonk pads since I had the GS1000, but returned the GS1000 because of quality issues so I never tried them.  I put them on my recently purchased PS1000, and I have been listening with them all morning.  Things that I am noticing vs the stock G Cush pads are, deeper bass, mids a bit more forward, and vocal very delicious, and the treble has smoothed slightly.  I do think they sound a bit more intimate with the EarZonk's on, the soundstage maybe not quite as big/wide, but imaging is very good, with excellent instrument separation.  With all that said, the verdict for me is I prefer the EarZonk sound over the stock Grado G Cush.  Can that be?  I do notice my ears are slightly closer to the drivers, and touching the pads, and the foam material is a bit softer than the stock pads.

May 21, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #2,024 of 3,605

I've had the EarZonk pads since I had the GS1000, but returned the GS1000 because of quality issues so I never tried them.  I put them on my recently purchased PS1000, and I have been listening with them all morning.  Things that I am noticing vs the stock G Cush pads are, deeper bass, mids a bit more forward, and vocal very delicious, and the treble has smoothed slightly.  I do think they sound a bit more intimate with the EarZonk's on, the soundstage maybe not quite as big/wide, but imaging is very good, with excellent instrument separation.  With all that said, the verdict for me is I prefer the EarZonk sound over the stock Grado G Cush.  Can that be?  I do notice my ears are slightly closer to the drivers, and touching the pads, and the foam material is a bit softer than the stock pads.

I've done this with other Grados, and while I enjoy it, in the end I always seem to go back to the stock pads Grado uses for that particular model.

May 21, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #2,025 of 3,605

Subjectivity is a wonderful thing :) I am more of a conservative person when it comes to these things. If I have too many options, I tend to never settle with anything. Also, I have this borderline OCD regarding realism, or keeping things as intended :)

My bet is that the PS1000's sound great, no matter what pads you put on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back