Post Your Giant Killers Here!
Aug 2, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #61 of 204
Quote:
i thought "giant" killers were supposed to beat (or on par) those flagships... not beating those headphone like sr60 sr80 and something alike since they are no "giants". i think some people here are misusing "giant killers" from "bang for the buck"

just saying

Good point. But for some of us, "giants" might even be under 200 or 300 bucks. My wallet doesn't stretch that far anymore... :/ 

Aug 2, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #62 of 204
haha, same here. i cant spend anything regarding audio now unless i sell something.. but i would prefer the term "bang for the buck" instead of "giant killers" if i made the thread :)

Aug 2, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #63 of 204
Quote:
haha, same here. i cant spend anything regarding audio now unless i sell something.. but i would prefer the term "bang for the buck" instead of "giant killers" if i made the thread :)

I know the feeling entirely. But, I do understand what you are saying here.

Aug 3, 2012 at 2:01 AM Post #67 of 204
Quote:

I think "bang for the buck" and "giant killers" are two completely separate arguments.

I could have a $10,000 headphone that accurately and amazingly produces every bit of sound with a perfect soundstage.  This headphone is good value, because it's the best headphone on the market.  However, this headphone is not a "giant killer," because there's no giant out there to kill (it would be the most expensive set of phones on the market).

However, I could have a $15 set of Koss KSC-75s that are only seemingly slightly worse than a $150 pair of headphones.  These are a "giant killer," even though they actually sound slightly worse.  Sure, they could also have good value (or "bang for the buck"), but "bang for the buck" does not necessarily make it a budget killer (in the same way that not all rectangles are squares).

Aug 3, 2012 at 2:17 AM Post #69 of 204
Just added two new IEM's to my collection today. The Monoprice 8320 and the Panasonic RPHJE355. Both were disappointing out of the box (well, bag in the case of the MP's) but are really starting to sound nice with very little burn in. Yes the MP's are tough to fit, kind of hurt my ears, and VERY picky about tips but I really can't believe how far cheap IEM's have come. These 7 and 14 dollar phones compete easily with some of my 40, 60 and 80 dollar models.

Aug 4, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #71 of 204
Quote:
Just added two new IEM's to my collection today. The Monoprice 8320 and the Panasonic RPHJE355. Both were disappointing out of the box (well, bag in the case of the MP's) but are really starting to sound nice with very little burn in. Yes the MP's are tough to fit, kind of hurt my ears, and VERY picky about tips but I really can't believe how far cheap IEM's have come. These 7 and 14 dollar phones compete easily with some of my 40, 60 and 80 dollar models.

I totally agree here about the Monoprice and how far a little over 7 bucks will take you.

Aug 4, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #74 of 204
My giant killer was the Koss Pro DJ 100. I sold it because...I obtained the giant(just the Denon D2000's). Not like I stopped enjoying them, I was simply downsizing my collection.

Aug 4, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #75 of 204
Quote:
My giant killer was the Koss Pro DJ 100. I sold it because...I obtained the giant(just the Denon D2000's). Not like I stopped enjoying them, I was simply downsizing my collection.

I loved that thing with the Asgard. Someone once told me the DJ100 has some similarities to the D7000. That can't possibly be true. I don't even know what the D7000's signature is...
Maybe it has more forward upper mids than the D2000 or D5000?

People always claimed the D2000 has recessed mids, but I didn't hear any recessed mids on my pair at all.

BTW has anyone confirmed the Monoprice 8320 is a 100% clone of the Kicker HP541? If it's super bassy like the D1100 i'll skip it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back