Post Your Giant Killers Here!
Aug 4, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #77 of 204
Quote:

BTW has anyone confirmed the Monoprice 8320 is a 100% clone of the Kicker HP541? If it's super bassy like the D1100 i'll skip it.

From what I hear, they are completely the same. They sound incredible. Buy them!

Aug 4, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #78 of 204
Quote:
From what I hear, they are completely the same. They sound incredible. Buy them!

I did and hated them. Had the Kicker HP541. I spent several hours modding them and got them to sound OK. Pretty much my least favorite headphone
frown.gif

Mine was severely muffled sounding. Probably due to all that bass and not enough treble.

Aug 4, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #79 of 204
Quote:
I did and hated them. Had the Kicker HP541. I spent several hours modding them and got them to sound OK. Pretty much my least favorite headphone
frown.gif

Mine was severely muffled sounding. Probably due to all that bass and not enough treble.

It's ok. To each, his own. I found that stock, they had too much bass as well. Simple velour pads got me exactly where I needed to be. THey lost some of that over-excessive bass right away.

Aug 6, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #80 of 204
So I got to hear the Klipsch S4, and I have to say, my Monoprice 8320 ran circles around it. For a fraction of the cost, there are alternatives. Always.

Aug 6, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #82 of 204
I own the 8323. I have to say for the price I'm very impressed with it. I swapped out the stock pads with DT250 velours and it's more comfortable and less hot. It softened the lows a little which is perfect for me, because that allowed the mids to get a tiny bit more oomph. Stock pads aren't uncomfortable, but they're a bit bass happy to my ears, and it kind of washes the mids out a bit. I prefer them to my HARX700 and will probably be selling off the JVC soon because of it.

Aug 7, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #84 of 204
Quote:
I own the 8323. I have to say for the price I'm very impressed with it. I swapped out the stock pads with DT250 velours and it's more comfortable and less hot. It softened the lows a little which is perfect for me, because that allowed the mids to get a tiny bit more oomph. Stock pads aren't uncomfortable, but they're a bit bass happy to my ears, and it kind of washes the mids out a bit. I prefer them to my HARX700 and will probably be selling off the JVC soon because of it.

I agree here. I have also modded mine with a custom headband pad. They are much more comfortable now.

Aug 7, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #85 of 204
Quote:
I own one modded pair, and one stock pair. Just got the second pair today. What do you want to know?

I guess I'd like to just know how musical sounding these are with all music genres compared to the likes of the KRK, CALi!, The Koss DJ100, or whatever else your favorite sub $200 closed type monitor cans are. 

How are they in the honky closed can sounding department? How is the instrument timbre? etc...

Aug 7, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #86 of 204
Quote:
I guess I'd like to just know how musical sounding these are with all music genres compared to the likes of the KRK, CALi!, The Koss DJ100, or whatever else your favorite sub $200 closed type monitor cans are. 

How are they in the honky closed can sounding department? How is the instrument timbre? etc...

Well, to put it simply, they sound nearly identical to the DJ100, if that means anything to you. They have a considerable amount of bass, while still being able to maintain all of the other areas of your music. When I say they have some bass, I am most definitely not talking about big, booming bass at all. No, it's more like, they tend to favor bass a tiny bit. But, they isolate very well, better than most sub 100 dollar cans. The SQ on these is on par/ better than the DJ100. Honestly, it's just a match made in heaven, I suppose. They work well with most genres. I found them a little too light sounding for heavy dubstep, but other than that, they work fine. I love them. 

Aug 7, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #87 of 204
I guess for $20 I really better get a pair. Now to find one locally in the Philippines LOL Shipping from the US will probably cost more than the cans themselves :)

Aug 7, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #88 of 204
I think the only real giant killer mention in this thead is the hd580. Someone else definition of a giant might be a 200.00 headphone, but in reality a true giant in the headphone world cost much, much more than that. And even if the true definition of a giant headphone is a 200.00 headphone, there still haven't been any mention of many that cost a fraction of that and destroys it.

But imo the hd580 is on par with quiet a few headphones that were(and still are) flagship headphones. I remember purchasing one years ago for 130.00 and going to meets preferring them to just about every headphone there. They are still the only headphone that's still attainable that you can get for 150-180.00 that can in many ways still compete with the big boys. I think they sound just as good as the hd600s.

There's a thread somewhere on here where someone lists the 20 best headphones he's owned with the top five consisting of hd800, lcd(2 at the time) sony r10, he6 and T1. But rounding out the top 10 and above far more expensive headphones were the hd6xx series which the hd580 is still a part of. That list got expanded to all he has ever heard which ended up being about 40 or 50 headphones, and if I remember corectly, the hd6xx series were still in the top 10. One of the few headphones that has no glaring flaws, not perfect, but not any flaws that jump out at you. All imo of course.

Aug 7, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #89 of 204
Hi guys,

To me the T70 is a giant killer. I think it kills many other headphones in the $400 range with absolute ease. The HD600, K701, and DT880 don't stand a chance against it. It has better detail, resolution, control, imaging, and soundstage. It's transparency is incredible and is unheard of at this price.

Aug 7, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #90 of 204
How is a 400 dollar range headphone a giant killer unless it beats a $5000 headphone or is at leat near it in quality :) You are comparing it with its peers dude LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back