Post Your Giant Killers Here!
Aug 7, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #91 of 204
And to add, I think it's priced about right. I liked it when I owned it, but not enough to keep it. The sound stage is decent but not great. Open headphones in that price range kills it in every area IMO. Infact, the price has been dropped by almost 200.00 and it haven't even been out a year yet.

Aug 7, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #93 of 204
Hi guys,

To me the T70 is a giant killer. I think it kills many other headphones in the $400 range with absolute ease. The HD600, K701, and DT880 don't stand a chance against it. It has better detail, resolution, control, imaging, and soundstage. It's transparency is incredible and is unheard of at this price.

Wow. Thank you for the post. I will be looking into these further.

Aug 7, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #94 of 204
m2c's. best portable bud/iem i've ever heard, don't look the best but perform far more than their 50 dollar price tag would let on

Aug 7, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #95 of 204
PX-100 ii fan here. That little thing sounds great, and is useful both at home and in the office. Surprising amount of bass, really.

Surprised nobody's talked about the TF10. They get sold for $100 every Black Friday; even with the fit and durability issues, the sound and seal are away above everything else in its price range, and it kills the need to buy the other triple-driver BAs unless you want another sound sig.

FWIW, I've been demoing the K550 and I think it's excellent value. Maybe not a giant killer vs other headphones, but the fact that it's closed, comfortable and super easy to drive means that you save on amp costs--possibly even entirely.

Aug 7, 2012 at 2:40 AM Post #96 of 204
I think the only real giant killer mention in this thead is the hd580. Someone else definition of a giant might be a 200.00 headphone, but in reality a true giant in the headphone world cost much, much more than that. And even if the true definition of a giant headphone is a 200.00 headphone, there still haven't been any mention of many that cost a fraction of that and destroys it.

But imo the hd580 is on par with quiet a few headphones that were(and still are) flagship headphones. I remember purchasing one years ago for 130.00 and going to meets preferring them to just about every headphone there. They are still the only headphone that's still attainable that you can get for 150-180.00 that can in many ways still compete with the big boys. I think they sound just as good as the hd600s.

There's a thread somewhere on here where someone lists the 20 best headphones he's owned with the top five consisting of hd800, lcd(2 at the time) sony r10, he6 and T1. But rounding out the top 10 and above far more expensive headphones were the hd6xx series which the hd580 is still a part of. That list got expanded to all he has ever heard which ended up being about 40 or 50 headphones, and if I remember corectly, the hd6xx series were still in the top 10. One of the few headphones that has no glaring flaws, not perfect, but not any flaws that jump out at you. All imo of course.

That was a good read. I wish I had the money. I believe I have created a money stealing monster by making this thread... I love it! My wallet is going to hate it.

Aug 7, 2012 at 5:13 AM Post #97 of 204
I'd agree on the HD 580 point.

To the original post:
Koss R/80. $33. Very good overall. Balanced, nothing sticks out, comfortable, well put together, enjoyable to listen to even if you've heard much more expensive cans. The cord is a bit weird, and the headband mechanism is imperfect, but for $30, what do you want? They sound good.

Over $50, Sony MDR-F1, ~$250-$300 (when last in production). Unrivaled. I've yet to hear a dynamic headphone in the price range that can compete in terms of soundstage, tonality, comfort, detail, etc - they best the MDR-SA5000 (which are better than a whole lot of things and list at $700) and K701 (which list out at $550) easily, and deserve a spot at the table with 'stats and other exotics (generally headphones in or around their price range screw up something somewhere or other that lets the F1 outshine them, they are as close to "stat like" as I have heard in a dynamic can, and I've yet to find something truly more comfortable anywhere at any price for any reason (yes even compared to the Bose headphones)). Supposedly back in the early 2000s when Sony killed them for the first time they were around $150 for a while too. :xf_eek:

Aug 7, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #100 of 204
I'd agree on the HD 580 point.
To the original post:
Koss R/80. $33. Very good overall. Balanced, nothing sticks out, comfortable, well put together, enjoyable to listen to even if you've heard much more expensive cans. The cord is a bit weird, and the headband mechanism is imperfect, but for $30, what do you want? They sound good.
Over $50, Sony MDR-F1, ~$250-$300 (when last in production). Unrivaled. I've yet to hear a dynamic headphone in the price range that can compete in terms of soundstage, tonality, comfort, detail, etc - they best the MDR-SA5000 (which are better than a whole lot of things and list at $700) and K701 (which list out at $550) easily, and deserve a spot at the table with 'stats and other exotics (generally headphones in or around their price range screw up something somewhere or other that lets the F1 outshine them, they are as close to "stat like" as I have heard in a dynamic can, and I've yet to find something truly more comfortable anywhere at any price for any reason (yes even compared to the Bose headphones)). Supposedly back in the early 2000s when Sony killed them for the first time they were around $150 for a while too. :xf_eek:

That was an excellent read. Thank you. I have looked at the Koss before, I just didn't know if they were that good or not. And I completely agree with you on the AKG's. I'll have to look into the Sonys. Sounds great!

Aug 7, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #101 of 204
Aug 7, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #102 of 204
Yeah I like the px100s as well. While they can't slay the giants the hd580s can, they can slay much bigger and more expensive headphones. I think they probably are more like "big" killers.
biggrin.gif

Aug 7, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #104 of 204
Quote:
Yeah I like the px100s as well. While they can't slay the giants the hd580s can, they can slay much bigger and more expensive headphones. I think they probably are more like "big" killers.
biggrin.gif

Yeah, but the HD580s can almost be considered as being giants themselves.   When the HD580s first came out they would be one of the giants people wanted to slay with a 'David' headphone. 

Aug 7, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #105 of 204
I am interested in those Monoprices...but I'm not sure if I should just save the money towards a bigger purchase.

For those that own it, would they be appropriate for alternative, jazz, and classical?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back