Post pics of your builds....
Jul 4, 2011 at 11:22 PM Post #8,101 of 9,811

In my opinion, that is SAWEET, if not just SICK.  I would keep the wood, the color just sets it off!  All if it is so very clean. I give it a 10!

Quote:
That mini3 looks sweet, the grill adds a nice touch.

For the last six months, on and off, my time has been spent building a Beta22!

It isn't quite finished yet, as I have to properly wire up the inputs and sort out the slight rat's nest around the back.

Owing to me making the case a little too small, I decided to go with a two channel version instead of the originally planned active ground configuration.

The cases are made from 3mm aluminium and copper sheet that has been brushed and lacquered. The side cheeks are heavily stained wood chopping boards, these are temporary until I find something better.

Cheers!

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Jul 5, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #8,102 of 9,811

Quote:

In my opinion, that is SAWEET, if not just SICK.  I would keep the wood, the color just sets it off!  All if it is so very clean. I give it a 10!

OK ...you convinced me, I'll keep the wood
smily_headphones1.gif

I must say, your IEMs are simply beautiful works of sculpture. Lovely stuff!

Quote:
meme, did you brush the aluminum panels yourself or did you have somebody else do it for you?

I did it by repeatedly dragging 80 grit production paper towards me while the panel was secured with masking tape wrapped sticky side out around a block of wood. Afterwards I did the same thing with scotch-bright to smooth and even out the surface before applying the clear coat.

It isn't a difficult effect to achieve, as long as you keep pulling the paper in straight and continuous lines.

Jul 5, 2011 at 7:57 PM Post #8,103 of 9,811
I've done the same in the past to good effect.
An alternative to scotch-bright is some 0000 steel-wool.

Jul 6, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #8,104 of 9,811

Quote:

So it took me longer than I expected, but I finally finished off my AMB alpha 10. Here are some pics:

And here it is in action:

alpha 10 is the top box, beta 22 is in the middle, and the sigma 22 for the beta 22 as well as the trafos/ssr for the alpha 10 are in the bottom box. 

A big thanks to Ti for making all of these awesome projects so well documented and accessible!

Just for kicks here is my complete AMB signal chain - PC --> gamma 2 --> alpha 10 --> beta 22

Looks awesome, bcg! Would you mind telling me where you got the case work done? Did you adjust the firmware at all?

Jul 7, 2011 at 6:55 AM Post #8,105 of 9,811

This is a four channel LM1876 "Gainclone" amplifier, it's just the recommended noninverting schematic with a minimalist power supply consisting of a diode bridge and a pair of 3300 uF caps per board, each fed by an 80VA toroid. It's a cheap and compact design, right now it powers a pair of active speakers via a L-R crossover filter. 

Jul 7, 2011 at 7:09 AM Post #8,106 of 9,811

Quote:
Looks awesome, bcg! Would you mind telling me where you got the case work done? Did you adjust the firmware at all?

Thanks. The boxes are clear anodized custom par metal 20 series 12x12x3 so that the rear panel can be removed like the front. The panels themselves were milled by front panel express. Everything else was done by me. The firmware is esentially stock, the only change I made was to slightly increase the timeout when it is learning remote control commands. I had a bit of trouble with the setup timing out as I was searching for which button I wanted to use for a given function.

Jul 14, 2011 at 12:38 PM Post #8,107 of 9,811
SOSLE (Smiling One Side Laser Eye) Amp   <= exaggerated name :D
Basically, just a standar Cmoy with one LED and with smiling face....

This is my first attempt to build an amp. After I looking around over the internet, I decided to build Cmoy.
The boom boom sound is good, but other than that everything are completely garbage T_T (probably because of my bad soldering and cheap components) 

I dont have any puncher so... the result is messy.
This amp supposed to have LED in both in and out jack, but since I dont have any spare resistor, I leave the second LED unconnected (that's why I came with SOSLE name).

Need to go to electronic parts shop tomorrow because the volume control is a single channel pot (while I'm using Dual Op-Amp) :D

Jul 14, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #8,109 of 9,811
Here is the messy inside.
The protoboard that I used for this DIY project is annoying, because the copper plate for each hole are too close to each other. One tiny soldering mistake, a short circuit will happen.
Because of this, I use jumper cable all over the board. Not a wise decision but, oh well... I don't want too ambitious for this first attempt. My main goal is a working amp :)

I use cheap LM358P Dual Op-Amp.
Don't wanna fried a pricy Op-Amp, so cheap one will do... :D

Without the volume control, this amp is turning my Headphone into a loud speaker...
I don't want to install the Pot because I only got single channel Pot, but without Pot, the sound is too loud (I even try to set the DSi volume into 9%, still very loud).

I will build another Cmoy with better PCB, and better components after this.

EDIT: 17 July 2011
The momment I'm writing this, I just finished doing a test for my second Cmoy.
The sound quality is completely better than the first one (my bad soldering).
Because the tutorial got many optional for gain (and I wanna know the different), I use two 8 Pin DIP socket to housing the resistors :D

Jul 19, 2011 at 4:40 AM Post #8,111 of 9,811
R2 to R5 Resistor using DIP Socket housing for gain experiment, may be I should using socket for the caps too?
I use OPA2134PA now, but LM358 still sounding a nice result in this second build (at least better than the first build).

Now using Stereo pot. But this pot is too big, since I reuse the tin from the first build and the DIP socket also eat more space, I have to remove the LED.

Adding DC power jack to save battery when I'm at home.

Based on the tutorial, I have to seal the ground from the tin surface. So I use electrical tape and small rubber hose.

Jul 20, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #8,112 of 9,811
I wish I know how to build a DAC, that way I wouldn't have to buy one...well aside form the DAC bundle.

Jul 20, 2011 at 10:29 AM Post #8,114 of 9,811
Pics coming soon of my new setup that is in planning stages. Buffalo3 when available and new B22 as I gave my gear to my dad :frowning2:

Loving the work on that tube amp Ferrari!

Jul 21, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #8,115 of 9,811

Quote:

Why don't you look into one of the well documented DIY projects, such as AMB's y1/y2?

Or even easier, build a GrubDAC or GrubCableDAC from one of Beezar's kits?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back