Post pics of your builds....
Nov 26, 2009 at 10:31 AM Post #6,016 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by swedishhatfaction /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is most excellent! Does she have a name? :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, that's a beauty Parafeed!

Thanks. If it had a name, it'd be a pun on "pain"! Something to do with pain anyway, on account of the fact it took a year and the expiry of one of my last stashed pair of 3A/167M's to come up with a 6C45 design that was at least as good as, or better than the amp it replaced - basically the Gary Dahl Espressivo design on steroids - series and shunt regulated (each channel) after the choke input power supply, and using a choke load rather than the hybrid Pimm pentode CCS load.

I could waffle on about how the Miller capacitance seems to affect the 6C45 SQ (bandwidth) more so than with the WE437A and STC 3A/167M, even using a low value input pot. (So drive it from the cathode and ground the grid.) Or how they love to oscillate given half a chance. (Never believe anyone who tells you that the 6C45 sounds solid-state or has "glare" unless you've 'scoped it in the circuit! Stopper resistors are not a luxury, they are a necessity!
wink.gif
)

Anyway, it's a very good sounding amp and I've built two more based on the design for other people. One, same as pictured, no expense spared with the BG WKz, (every other cap is poly), MQ (Peerless) TL-404 autoformers and the other, a budget version (relatively speaking), using Sowter 8665's at the output transformers, dropping the shunt regulators and skimping on the parts quality a little. But to be honest, SQ wise it didn't make a lot of difference.

Nov 27, 2009 at 1:53 AM Post #6,018 of 9,811
Just got done with this...as much as i would love to sit here and listen to it all night i got o head ff for a dinner of sorts
tongue.gif

For your viewing pleasure, my reference amplifier, The Cavalli Audio Stacker 2. Still got one bit left to do..the heater switch wiring.

stacker019.jpg

Nov 27, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #6,020 of 9,811
I've been thinking of making up a batch of enclosures to sell for money (I'm broke, I'm in college, and I have arthritis - as such, I have to get creative.) The format is pretty simple - I'm taking sections of 12" x 8" structural steel square tube and plating them with nickel, then putting a piece of mesh, sheet metal, or exotic wood on the top and bottom. The tube has 1" roundovers on the corners and 3/16" thick walls (overkill much?), and after nickel plating it I could either polish it, copper plate it and apply an antique patina or a polished finish, or give it a nice coat of paint. Prices would start at $100 for a basic model to over $200 with a polished finish, hidden screws, predrilled holes, and a top piece with an exotic wood veneer. I'm also looking into making custom knobs by electroforming (a process by which a thick layer of metal - in this case, copper - is plated over a nonmetallic object.)

Two questions, though:
1. Will people buy these?
2. Considering that these are 8" x 12", how tall should they be? I was thinking about 5" - not only is this just high enough for most EI transformers and tubes, but it also leaves the small ends with a width to height ratio of 1.6 - "The golden ratio."

Nov 27, 2009 at 10:23 PM Post #6,021 of 9,811
Spasticteapot, The chassis market for DIY at the moment is a pita, done right you’d make a killing. I think your on the right track, but you’ve really limited yourself to one size, imo you need to cover a far few sizes to attract a wider audience.

BTW this not the right thread to discuss your topic, I suggest you seek a Mods advice as well.

Nov 28, 2009 at 8:36 AM Post #6,026 of 9,811
Nov 28, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #6,030 of 9,811
That is a PMD100-4x PCM1702. PMD200 is in a completely different package, and believe me, it is hard to find. I have been looking, and the only ones I saw were on some chinese auction site. I didnt think of this, but it is difficult to make out. That is an Adcom GCD-750 I modded, new analog power transformer, rectifier diodes (wanted lower dropout of schottky), replaced all of the ~15 year old 'lytic caps, and discrete I/V.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back