Post pics of your builds....
Dec 1, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #6,046 of 9,811
Beefy, there's enough remaining thread on each bolt to secure to chassis base, via standoffs, there should be no flex issues.

Dec 1, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #6,047 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Beefy, there's enough remaining thread on each bolt to secure to chassis base, via standoffs, there should be no flex issues.

Thinking about it and Beefy has a valid concern even if you bolt each heatsink to the chassis through the board. If/When the case is lifted by the heatsink then the force will still go through the board. The chassis would have to be extremely stiff to prevent any flexing since it would only be secured from the bottom end and the board as the top member.

Now If you check out Balanced β22 by naamanf build in the B22 gallery he has a similar setup to yours. If you case yours like his it should not be an issue since it appears the heatsink itself rests on the chassis such that the fins are supported by the chassis. If the heatsink is the bottom of the chassis you will have issues and would need more bracing. Even in naamank build I would tap the heatsink fin (he might do that can not tell from photo) and bolt it to the chassis to make sure the force goes into the chassis and not the board.

Dec 1, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #6,048 of 9,811
m1abrams, just like naamanf’s build it will be housed in another chassis, I plan to have the heatsinks resting on the base and secured with standoffs, all up there’ll be 4 standoffs for each heatsink, and 4 standoffs securing each board. Sorry Beefy I miss understood your meaning.

Dec 2, 2009 at 6:49 AM Post #6,049 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not quite an amp, but it's definitely DIY!

4138751743_fab0548e93.jpg

Nice woodworking!

Dec 2, 2009 at 11:14 AM Post #6,050 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by boinger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My buffalo 32s

did the case work myself from a bare par-metal chasis

<snip>

Nice. How are you liking your Buffalo? I should have one by this weekend!

Dec 2, 2009 at 1:01 PM Post #6,051 of 9,811
I'm loving it, it sounds absolutely amazing... I can honestly say i have never heard music so clearly... You can differentiate each and every note and instrument in the music, its resolving power is amazing, its really like opening up your ears and letting more detail in... I recommend giving it a run with shpongle - behind closed eyelids... This is my first dedicated processor for sound so I cant really compare it to others... I have mainly listened from high end computer sound cards... But this goes well beyond those... One thing i noticed is that in foobar i can really tweak the eq a lot more than i could with computer sound, as in the sound doesnt distort if i pump up the treble / bass whereas with my previous setup i had a very limited range before i got distortion in the sound...

I recently got the hd800's as well those are simply breathtaking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back