Post pics of your builds....
Apr 19, 2009 at 10:06 AM Post #4,861 of 9,811
Fantastic work!
biggrin.gif

Apr 19, 2009 at 10:41 AM Post #4,862 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by zkool448 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi everyone, I finally got my SOHA II wood case stained, panels painted, internals all wired up.

Here are some pictures, I hope you like it and thanks for looking.

-zk

That is fantastic. You sure do have some skills.

Apr 19, 2009 at 11:32 AM Post #4,863 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just makes me wonder why I bother... maybe we need a seperate forum for casing... <sigh>

ha ha
wink.gif
yes, it seems that casing is a 'big thing' on the forum. I wish I had good machines so I could also make nice cases like that.

zcool, you should make them for sale - they are certainly good enough!

Apr 19, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #4,865 of 9,811
zkool448, that really is amazing. It's not just that the wood looks lovely, but the metal work is flawless and perfectly suits the design too. The recessed volume knob is a really nice touch too.

Cases almost demand a forum of their own. I'd love to see some tutorials and information on making them, because it's something I'm neither good at nor know much about. There is plenty of info on the electronics side, but case work is neglected IMHO and it's a shame because it can really elevate a project from DIY electronics to an objet d'art !

Apr 19, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #4,866 of 9,811
Hi everyone, wow... truly overwhelmed by your responses. I read each of your post and really means a lot to me guys. Thank you.

Special thanks to Alex Cavalli for designing and producing such a great sounding amp.

cheers -zk
beerchug.gif

In response to the questions/comments, the mounting bracket for the headscrews aren't installed as I wanted to monitor the cooling first. I'm happy to report that the tapped L-brackets will be added permanently -- the amp has been burning in for 10+ hrs without any heat issues! The top/bottom lids which appear 'metal' is really mdf wood machined using a table router.

Casework felt like it took forever, won't be selling them but more than happy to help if you're looking for sme wood design ideas (ex. #1, #2), cutting tips, shop tools, etc.
wink.gif

Smeggy, I know nothing about hooking up a potted torroid (or any electronics for that matter), that option would've been awesome if I knew how to. Your woodwork finishing tips is what inspired the finish
smile.gif

Adamus, the socket savers works well indeed. Really helps in the cooling department since the tubes are fully (or almost) exposed.

Thanks again to all DIY'er out there for their help, inspiration, tips ,and amp designs. It's now time for a nice break to enjoy the amp!

Apr 20, 2009 at 5:47 AM Post #4,872 of 9,811
dano you have some pretty cool projects
smile.gif

BTW, I enjoy reading your colorful commentaries in your diy articles posted on your site
beyersmile.png

@ nkd, thanks. not quite sure how to 'dye' the red tab but if you've got any tips pls pm me.

Apr 20, 2009 at 1:09 PM Post #4,873 of 9,811
Nothing too exciting just a little switch box i made up so i can switch between my alien and an external output and between my soon to be cased millet max and my speakers.

IMG_4851.jpg

IMG_4852.jpg

IMG_4847.jpg

Nothing too exciting but my millet will hopefully look pretty cool soon as i can afford the panels for it!

Apr 20, 2009 at 1:38 PM Post #4,874 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, where did that come from danobeavis? Looks very cool and very different from every other tripath board I've seen.

Very cool, I still have a soft spot for the t-amps
smily_headphones1.gif

It is a Tripath TA2024 board from ebay. The seller is s8 audio.

Apr 21, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #4,875 of 9,811
Hey folks,

I finished the boards for my M3 and S11 build. Now I'm getting ready to tackle the casework. The amp and power supply are going into their own Hammond cases. So I was thinking about milling out three M's on top of the amp case right above the heat sinks (one "M" for each pair). (I just picked up a mini mill from Harbor Freight for all of my miscellaneous projects.) I was also going to try some semi-fancy slotting on the sigma. Anyone have any creative ideas I can steal? I haven't seen too much in the area of custom milled casework/vents so I thought I'd poke around for some inspiration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back