Post pics of your builds....
Apr 16, 2009 at 3:18 PM Post #4,831 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
another ugly-build, demo'ing my spdif input selector switch: < snp >

Boy howdy you are one prolific DIYer... Makes one wonder if LinuxWorks works
jecklinsmile.gif
... At a paying job that is.

Anyway know I'll want to incorp at least a couple of the bits you've made into some of my later builds... Do you have a homepage/website of all your goodies (yet)?

Apr 16, 2009 at 3:22 PM Post #4,832 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by cfcubed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyway know I'll want to incorp at least a couple of the bits you've made into some of my later builds... Do you have a homepage/website of all your goodies (yet)?

I don't have it organized yet. still working on the tech ideas, keeping notes and will 'html it all up' once I get all the components working and controllable the way I want.

you know how it goes: write/build it first, have fun listening/testing, THEN document the code and design
wink.gif

the next phase is to scale things down in size and see if I can make the 'generic i/o modules' concept really work. at the very least, some simple media converters (coax to opto and opto to coax) will come out of this
wink.gif

Apr 16, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #4,833 of 9,811
next stage in switch: added coax-out for a full complement of media i/o types.

it can now send AND receive on both coax and optical. here it is receiving spdif from my 'popcorn hour' media streamer (it only has coax-out, no toslink). the output of the switch is both media formats at the same time, so I could have tapped the single opto-out or the single coax-out; and I used the coax out since my DAC 'prefers' coax (it powers up in coax-in mode).

forgive the dust on the table (lol)
wink.gif

3447531579_8da510378c_o.jpg

Apr 16, 2009 at 10:37 PM Post #4,835 of 9,811
Well, this is my intro to DIY audio. Just a basic cmoy, opa2132pa. I am going to build a better cable in the next couple days, just waiting for plugs. Then once I get more money, going to build this again, just better, and then hopefully a y1 dac after that.

-Sorry for the terrible quality of the pictures.

Apr 16, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #4,836 of 9,811
well done, looks better than my first attempt
biggrin.gif

enjoy it

cheers
FRED

Apr 17, 2009 at 4:02 AM Post #4,838 of 9,811
Speaking of prolific DIY'ers... I see at least three of the other boards in the background. Congrats - not the easiest first build! looking good too...

Apr 17, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #4,840 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, that's just crazy business right there. I wish my eyes were better....

Maybe you could just make wood end panels for 'em?
smile_phones.gif

EDIT: The amp, not your eyes...

Apr 17, 2009 at 10:17 AM Post #4,842 of 9,811
linuxworks: I've noticed you've been doing some prototypes of various types of controller, such as volume, source switching, etc. all of which look quite interesting. What is the overall aim of your experiments? i.e. What find of functionality are you looking for from for the finished product? Do you intend to eventually get a signle PCB made that will handle all of these tasks and can be used alongside an amplifier board?

Apr 17, 2009 at 11:37 AM Post #4,843 of 9,811
@ nux - Yes nice job... Was going to ask how how you like it but see that goodness here
smily_headphones1.gif
Good reach on a 1st amp project for sure!
BTW if that's std/small case you may need vent holes (talk on other thread if necessary I guess).

@ sid - Yes, maybe linuxworks should start his own project(s) thread in DIY until he has a website.... Info is scattered about tho....

Apr 17, 2009 at 1:23 PM Post #4,844 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by sid_ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
linuxworks: I've noticed you've been doing some prototypes of various types of controller, such as volume, source switching, etc. all of which look quite interesting. What is the overall aim of your experiments? i.e. What find of functionality are you looking for from for the finished product? Do you intend to eventually get a signle PCB made that will handle all of these tasks and can be used alongside an amplifier board?

I'm making baby-steps on point-projects until I have anough things working that I can make a more integrated system. but for me, integrated doesn't mean 'one big box'. it will be a bunch of smaller things that work together to make the same funct as a larger box.

one of my goals is to entirely replace my yamaha home stereo 'receiver'. that had a sleep timer and I used it a lot - so I added sleep-timer to my preamp. I wanted to be able to switch spdifs (my home theater does that) and so I did the spdif switch so I can replace that functionality in the yamaha.

I also wanted some subwoofer controls and that will be coming, soon, too.

I needed to be able to switch output devices (very few amps let you really do this well). I have speaker amps and a bunch of headphone amps. so I had the idea of using x10 wireless remote power switches to turn amps actually on and off under software control ALONG WITH switching output relays (as needed).

I hated how the dimming function worked on my yamaha, so I wrote my own for a nice backlit lcd
wink.gif
and many home stereos don't have enough spdif inputs or even a good way to name the input, textually, so I wrote code to do that on my system.

I hated how most displays want to FLASH and BLINK and SCROLL at you. feh! my stuff won't do that. nothing distracting on my displays while you are trying to watch a movie
wink.gif

so really, it all came bit by bit by being frustrated with off-the-sheld store bought gear and wanting to take TOTAL control over as much of the user interface as I could.

I plan to release working parts as DIY designs but probably not 'one single large pc board'. that limits too much what your build options are. what I plan is a bunch of smaller boards that do focused things and are bulding blocks that you can combine to make your dream preamp.

Apr 18, 2009 at 5:38 AM Post #4,845 of 9,811
Hello All,

Here's my M3 build which is just cased up. Forgive the bad pics, i'll have better ones up once its fully finished.

DSC00161.jpg

DSC00165.jpg

DSC00167.jpg

DSC00172.jpg

DSC00175.jpg

This M^3 has a sigma11, epsilon 24 & an Alien DAC in the same chassis. Opamps used are AD8065 with R3/R4 values of 5.6k/10k which work just right with my D2000 cans.

The case is made of 0.8mm MS with a powder coated finish and is hand fabricated from scratch. Front panel is laser cut 2mm SS with a light brushed finished.

To be added ( once i take a break from listening
smily_headphones1.gif
) are case feet, RCA inputs & outputs, a gain switch (for preamp use) and lettering/legends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back