Post pics of your builds....
Oct 19, 2014 at 10:14 AM Post #9,601 of 9,811
Thanks but to be honnest, there is very little in there I'd call my own. It's just a matter of putting together datasheets' suggested designs and reading what is suggested by more knowledgeable persons.

The tricky thing is that it's very hard to properly test such a DAC. Ok, there's no offset nor oscillation (that I can see with a 20Mhz scope) but, since it's better than my soundcard ADC (an aureon sky), I've no idea of actual performances, except it's better than 90db SNR and 0.0026%thd at 1K.

Oct 19, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #9,602 of 9,811
This is more a "work in progress" than a completed build, but I'm getting closer. My Bijou has been in a "temporary" case for about six months as I decide on a case design and find the materials for its permanent home. The chassis is going to be of Alaskan Yellow Cedar, with jade-green leather on the top-plates, and copper heat sinks for the FETs.
I haven't yet decided on the knobs. I'm leaning towards leather-wrapped wood, but that means finding someone to turn some of my cedar for me (I don't own a lathe). I'm also want to reshape the profile of these copper heat sinks to be domed so they better matches the tops of the tubes. I need to find a way to support the pins so I can file and grind without mangling them.

Oct 26, 2014 at 9:11 AM Post #9,605 of 9,811
After what seemed to be a couple of years, I finally completed my Wire.  I have only had time to listened to a few albums but I am very happy so far.  This amp is a good match for my HD 600's but it will not play to full volume with my DT 880's, though at 600 ohms, it was expected.  A few pics.

Me

Oct 26, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #9,607 of 9,811
musky - great job on The Wire. I've been using this amp for about a year and a half now and love it. OPC did a great job with the design.

I love your chassis that you use for all of your builds. Do you do the wood work yourself? or you have a custom maker?

I found with my DT880 - 250ohms (before I killed them with my current  EHHA build) that the volume was pretty damn good at around 3:30 on the dial. I also used a gain of 2 instead of the default unity gain. Maybe you might want to consider to add a little gain - 2 or 3 at most.

Oct 27, 2014 at 5:21 AM Post #9,608 of 9,811
Nice build Muskyhuntr!

I see that it is still an interpretation of my theme... but you are more than welcome to use it in such a nice build.
I like how the two boards are facing each other but have the wooden volume under them 
wink.gif

Oct 27, 2014 at 8:25 AM Post #9,609 of 9,811
To answer a few of Mullets questions.  For the most part, I do it all my self.  Up until a year ago, my nephew ripped the the pieces for me on his table saw but a while back, I purchased my own and now do the ripping myself.  The final shaping is done on a table router.  Cutting a shaping aren't all that hard but the sanding takes quite a while.  I start with 80 grit and work my way through 120, 150, 220, and 400 grits.  I use 600 grit between coats of tung oil.  The wood used is Cocobolo.  I use it not only for it's looks but because it machines very well.  I actually tap the holes for many of the screws.  Panels are from Front Panel Express.  I ended up liking this wood so well, that I bought grips made from it for 2 of my guns.  As Stixx points out, the design is based on one he posted a few years back.  I have a couple of projects that I am currently working on (a dual chassis KSA5, a 300B amp, and probably AMB's Y3) that will use the same theme.  A few other projects will be using the Pesante Dissipante style boxes, most probably my Dynahi.

I have considered raising the gain on the amp, but as of now, I am undecided.  It does sound good with my HD600's.  It also sounds good with the DT880's, but the volume is just a bit lacking.  Decisions...decisions.

I have attached another image of the Wire this time stacked on top of my CK2III.  Front panels are identical except for the name badging.  Top, bottom, and rear panels are sized a bit different to account for slight differences in the size of the wooden sides.  On top of the stack is the wall wart I made that works with both amps (lucked out on that one).  In the back ground is my EHHA I recently re biased.

Me

Nov 2, 2014 at 12:10 AM Post #9,610 of 9,811
I decided that I could live with square heatsinks, and if I didn't get moving, this project might die on the bench. I want to get it cased up so I can listen to it again :)
The heat sinks are from Enzotech (designed for RAM). The top plates are MDF. The Jade green leather is from cameraleather.com. I had expected the leather to bridge the gaps around the T-nuts better. If I were doing it over again, I'd apply a coating of leveling compound and sand it flat before attaching the leather.

Nov 9, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #9,611 of 9,811
Here's a fun new one, a Grado with Mahogany wood cups (I copper leafed and sealed), Turbulent X drivers, and a Turbulent Labs headband. The grill is generic metal grillwork that I had powdercoated a copper color. Love those new Amphenol minis by the way. Burnt this set in for about 60 hours, it sounds incredible. 

Nov 9, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #9,612 of 9,811
Are they really grados if you replaced the drivers, headbands, and cups? Hahaha

Anyways, love your work man, I'm a huge fan. They look amazing .

Nov 10, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #9,614 of 9,811
About a month ago I finished building my linkwitz LxMini. I have to say they sound fantastic....now to build an amp for them :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back