Post pics of your builds....
Jun 28, 2014 at 5:25 AM Post #9,571 of 9,811
Thanks a lot for the comments.  They mean a lot to me.

I really enjoyed building this.

Jun 28, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #9,572 of 9,811
Milosz, that is a nice built. I am looking around for cases. Did you make that one?
To continue with the electrostatic builds, here is the Kevin Gilmore Megatron electrostatic amplifier, minus the casing :D

Jun 29, 2014 at 4:40 AM Post #9,574 of 9,811
The Beta 22 case is Par-Metal 20-16123N, with a DIY front panel and wood 'cheeks'

The rear area has been modified too, cut away to fit the Delrin (Or is ir Derlin?) the PLASTIC block that holds the IEC inlet and is part of the isolation setup for the power supply.

By the way there's a real sapphire set into the volume knob for the pointer dot.... it's only 2 mm but it's there. (REAL but lab-made, not mined.)

Lotta tubes in that Megatron.  I'd like to build one maybe but boards are not available (last I heard) and I don't have the energy to organize a board run.  For a casework feature on that baby you house the valves in Pyrex tubes cut to differing lengths like the ranks of pipes in an organ....

Lotta transformers in that thing, too, holy cow.

I gotta finish my DIY T-2.  So many projects....

Jul 15, 2014 at 3:23 AM Post #9,575 of 9,811
Alright I guess I will start to post pictures soon.  I am working on a fully balanced Pass Labs F4.  The goal is to try to fit two mono blocks into one chassis without it being so hot that it melts though my floor.  So far I have built all the boards and have only snapped one 4-40 tap so I think I am looking in good shape 
tongue.gif
.  Pictures are on the way.  I estimate this thing to weigh over 50lb and also hope that I can get it done in time for the bay area meet  because I know that some people want to hook up their HE-6 to it. 

Stay tuned

Jul 17, 2014 at 3:28 AM Post #9,577 of 9,811
Some teasers. Finished with mounting all 4 boards and 24 mosfets to the heat sinks and all hardware to the bottom of the amp. Now working on the back pannel. Not sure how I am going to drill holes big enough for the for jacks and make a square hole for the iec connector. Anyone have any suggestions?

Jul 18, 2014 at 4:33 AM Post #9,579 of 9,811
Some progress

Jul 18, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #9,580 of 9,811
Finally got around to finishing my HeadWatt.  This is a design by Bruce Heron based on the 6DJ8. Vixr did the board layouts with some modifications by me.  How does it sound?  First of all, the amp is dead silent, even at full volume.   After listening for a few hours with my Senn. HD600's, a few things stood out. Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue" on two pianos was fantastic as were all of the Janis Joplin I could throw at it. Chamber music also does very well with this amp. The amp falls off a bit and seems a little slow when there is a lot of bass as when playing Kodo. It still sounds good but the bass is just a bit weak. This was to be expected due to the smallish output transformers.  Still have a bit of wire management.
One last thing, I have 2 extra sets of boards if any one is interested.

Jim

A couple of pictures:

:

Jul 21, 2014 at 4:05 AM Post #9,582 of 9,811
Some eBay cases come with pre-cut IEC inlets, however sometimes they could end up not matching the inlet you've chosen. Fortunately I have a CNC house where I can do all the holes I need on two panels for like 30EUR.

Jul 21, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #9,583 of 9,811
I was going to get one of those as it would have saved me the money to have to send it over to Front Pannel Express, but they didn't have one that was big enough or with XLR inputs.  

Jul 22, 2014 at 3:42 AM Post #9,584 of 9,811
Finally finished.  Just biasing and burning in to do.  First Watt F4.  I put two monoblocks in one chassis.  One monoblock per side.  The advantage of this is that it is lighter overall than having two monoblocks, and I can choose between having many many different configurations.  This will do 25Wx4 into 8ohms, 50Wx2 into 8ohms or even 100Wx2 into 8ohms.  The disadvantage is that instead of having two big amps I now have one monsterous one that weighs enough to break my back.  

This is a standard 12oz can for scale.  Yes, it is monsterous.  

Krell KSA-5 and Speakers are in the works.  Stay tuned.  

Jul 22, 2014 at 6:13 AM Post #9,585 of 9,811
Finally finished.  Just biasing and burning in to do.  First Watt F4.  I put two monoblocks in one chassis.  One monoblock per side.  The advantage of this is that it is lighter overall than having two monoblocks, and I can choose between having many many different configurations.  This will do 25Wx4 into 8ohms, 50Wx2 into 8ohms or even 100Wx2 into 8ohms.  The disadvantage is that instead of having two big amps I now have one monsterous one that weighs enough to break my back.  

This is a standard 12oz can for scale.  Yes, it is monsterous.  

Krell KSA-5 and Speakers are in the works.  Stay tuned.  

Good work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back