Post pics of your builds....
Nov 11, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #9,617 of 9,811

Very nice! I've been thinking about building this one myself. How do they compare to your Selah's?

Much better sound stage, and nice crisp highs.  A little bit lacking in the base, and the mids on the Selahs are a bit better.  The only problem I find is that finding a good 4 channel amp for it is very hard and therefore it could sound even better, but I have yet to build anything for it yet.  The Selahs are powered by a world class amp (the F4) and therefore have better power into them.  I think that if the LxMinis where powered by something as good as an F4, than they would blow the Selahs out of the water, but of course building 4x100w amp is not an easy task.  (I also don't have the room for it if I want pure class A).  Any ideas on amps would be much appreciated.  

Nov 11, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #9,618 of 9,811
KAV-500
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Krell-KAV-500-5-Channel-Power-Amplifier-KAV500-Amp-/151468165921?pt=US_Home_Audio_Amplifiers_Preamps&hash=item234434cb21

Much better sound stage, and nice crisp highs.  A little bit lacking in the base, and the mids on the Selahs are a bit better.  The only problem I find is that finding a good 4 channel amp for it is very hard and therefore it could sound even better, but I have yet to build anything for it yet.  The Selahs are powered by a world class amp (the F4) and therefore have better power into them.  I think that if the LxMinis where powered by something as good as an F4, than they would blow the Selahs out of the water, but of course building 4x100w amp is not an easy task.  (I also don't have the room for it if I want pure class A).  Any ideas on amps would be much appreciated.  

Nov 11, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #9,619 of 9,811
KAV-500
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Krell-KAV-500-5-Channel-Power-Amplifier-KAV500-Amp-/151468165921?pt=US_Home_Audio_Amplifiers_Preamps&hash=item234434cb21

preferably a diy one 
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 13, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #9,622 of 9,811

Pair of FirstWatt F5's maybe?

I was thinking about this one, but I would like to try to get 100w per channel, so I was thinking 4, F5Turbos.  At the same time though, I don't have the space to put 4 amps so I am now trying to figure out how I can fit 2 monoblocks in one chassis without needing an industrial strength air conditioner for each of the chassis.  

Nov 14, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #9,623 of 9,811
Are they really grados if you replaced the drivers, headbands, and cups? Hahaha

Anyways, love your work man, I'm a huge fan. They look amazing .

Haha, yeah, they are pretty much as far removed as you can get. However, they still have that distinct Grado sound signature that presents rock music so well despite being a Franken-can :wink: 

Nov 15, 2014 at 4:26 AM Post #9,624 of 9,811
Quote (from millet starving student thread):
Took more pics after making the small wood tube surrounds for those who wanted more views.

Hi,
Long time lurker... I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I want to try replicate this word of art of Smeggy's. Could anyone tell me what parts he used for the chassis (under the wood), the volume knob and the heat sinks? Also, any ideas on what wood that is?
Thanks,
Chris

Nov 17, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #9,625 of 9,811
  Here's a fun new one, a Grado with Mahogany wood cups (I copper leafed and sealed), Turbulent X drivers, and a Turbulent Labs headband. The grill is generic metal grillwork that I had powdercoated a copper color. Love those new Amphenol minis by the way. Burnt this set in for about 60 hours, it sounds incredible. 

What kind of wire did you use?
That looks fantastic, although the style itself is not my taste.

Nov 17, 2014 at 7:13 PM Post #9,627 of 9,811
Cute little Gainclone build. The PCBs are from ChipAmp, I chose most of my own parts as that's part of the fun... Silmic IIs, Kiwame resistors, and the largest WIMA bypasses I could jab into the boards. I also snuck a little GrubDAC into the unit. There's a switch so you can choose USB or RCA input. The case is a cheapie Bud aluminum enclosure (which is way too malleable, not going to get another). I gave it a spritz of red enamel, decided I didn't like it, and switched over to a copper Hammertone color. 

The sound is way better than expected. It doesn't have a typical solid state sound, but is very dynamic and crisp. The unit was purpose built for an arcade cabinet I built: 

It features a pair of MarkAudio drivers in the top marquis area. This was built using RecRoom Masters kit (no affiliation, but happy with their service), and yes... I am an SNK fan :wink: 

Nov 17, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #9,628 of 9,811
Sweet! I've got a MV-1FZ crammed into an old double dragon cabinet. Fun stuff. :)

The sound is way better than expected. It doesn't have a typical solid state sound, but is very dynamic and crisp. The unit was purpose built for an arcade cabinet I built: 

It features a pair of MarkAudio drivers in the top marquis area. This was built using RecRoom Masters kit (no affiliation, but happy with their service), and yes... I am an SNK fan :wink: 

Nov 19, 2014 at 12:50 AM Post #9,630 of 9,811
  Hi,
Long time lurker... I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I want to try replicate this word of art of Smeggy's. Could anyone tell me what parts he used for the chassis (under the wood), the volume knob and the heat sinks? Also, any ideas on what wood that is?
Thanks,
Chris

The chassis looks just like your basic die-cast aluminium project box, but painted black. The feet are cabinent/drawer handles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back