Post pics of your builds....
Aug 29, 2010 at 9:23 AM Post #7,216 of 9,811
just to chime in, FPE is definitely a great company, they always call me before they cut the metal to confirm everything with me.  They have even caught a mistake i accidentally made but they called me and the problem was quickly solved.. I go with FPE because I find their program easy for noobs like me and they are located close to me for fast shipping..

Aug 29, 2010 at 11:09 AM Post #7,217 of 9,811
Finally I found time and started doing panels for my excellent gamma2. First 2 tries went to scrap, because I just couldn't get the holes where they have to be. So the next day I took another go and this time successfully. It's quite hard to get the holes right by hand... I really did want to inlay gold into the "y2" logo, but as the titanium got so soft after annealing, I'm still thinking about it.

So, for your viewing pleasure - hand engraved titanium front plate for gamma2.

Engraving in the process.

Engraving WIP close-up. Yes, there are mistakes :)

When I'll finish the other side, I'll try to make better photos too.

Viljo

Aug 29, 2010 at 11:30 AM Post #7,219 of 9,811
That looks too cool. I don't even want to know how long it took you to do that.

Titanium no less.

Thanks for the pics. I think they convey the artwork very well.

Look forward to seeing more.

Aug 29, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #7,225 of 9,811
Very nice script on your engraving, vilts. 

Aug 30, 2010 at 4:20 AM Post #7,227 of 9,811
Thank you very much for the kind comments.

Quote:
Looks nice, selling any? just in time too cause the ones over AMB sold out a few days ago.

I might sell in the future, if I can make them at least twice faster. This was a first try and took just too long time, I guess around 7 hrs for one panel, not including the ones that went to scrap :). Let's see how the rear panel works out... and the next gamma2 I'm going to build soon. 

I sent price request to at least 3 CNC shops here, but after 3 weeks none of them has answered about doing the panels for me. Drilling and filing took more than half of the time and it still isn't as good as I'd like it to be.

Quote:
`
Great work, Viljo!  Would you mind sharing tips on how to engrave metal by hand?  I wouldn't mind trying it on a few of my projects.

Quote:
WOW! Very nice engraving vilts! A tutorial on this dying art would be an interesting thread to follow.

Well, I could write pages about this :)

But first off I must say that (script) lettering is one of the hard(est) things to get right in engraving, because everybody knows how a letter should look like and mistakes are really easy to spot, especially in roman or block letters.

Tools - there's a way to do engraving very cheaply with hand push graver and small loupe, or with air assisted graver, microscope and whatnot. I use the second method, it's much faster, easier to learn etc. But it will hurt your wallet.

However, if you do decide to start engraving, then the absolute best way would be to take 1 week basic class. Yes, it costs, but it'll cut the learning curve shorter by few years.

A while ago I made short video about engraving a Zippo, maybe this will help to get an idea of the process: http://www.youtube.com/vilts#p/u/7/8VS9k00pHtM. Back in 2007 when I started the engraving I made this post about process: http://www.knivesandengraving.com/2007/08/engraving-process/, pretty old and crappy engraving, but you'll get the idea :)

balderon, hand engraving is actually having a renaissance now. There are new schools, tools, forums, books and a lot of interest in it. The work produced now is the best ever, if you see the high-end guns you just have to be careful not to drop your jaw too often.

Aug 30, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #7,228 of 9,811
I just completed (excluding minor tweaking) a AD8620 + LM6172 with 3x BUF634 amplifier. It is pretty close to PIMETA v1 but without multiloop. I guess I could add multiloop and Class A biasing to it too. I use SMD resistors so I can pack a lot of stuff into compact space. I still manage with breadboard, maybe I should soon start etching my own PCBs...
But here is the breadboard beauty:

This compares very well to my PPA v2. It is dead silent, because the gain is 3. I like BUF634 sound. It is so clean and transparent, with good bass. And AD8620 is also excellent in this circuit.

Aug 30, 2010 at 8:12 PM Post #7,229 of 9,811
Nice job on the scratch build Spacehead.
You can do so much more when you etch your own boards.
Fred_Fred is a real expert with the toner transfer method.
I've tried the toner transfer method but I could not get it
to work to my satisfaction. I'm going to do the photo transfer
method when I get my supplies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back