Post pics of your builds....
Sep 8, 2010 at 8:25 AM Post #7,246 of 9,811
It is much sexier than a breadboard!

Sep 8, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #7,254 of 9,811
You could just let the mosfet heat up naturally to a reasonable temperature.

on a slightly related note:
If you are seriously serious about this absurdly absurd absurdity :p
Build a little cover/enclosure for the test device. In my last FET matching efforts (to92 parts, but whatever) the FETs would drift when breathed on hard. 

Sep 8, 2010 at 7:38 PM Post #7,255 of 9,811
yeah, that's not going to work very well. You need to match the devices at their target operating junction temperature and at the target current and voltage. I used a ceramic heater control block of aluminum to do the job. The heating element is in the back and you can see the probe:

Also, I'd recommend an extra supply to bias the devices, in this case I used a battery with a simple adjustable regulator to vary the bias. This way I could control the exact current flowing through the device and matched this to the target current of the circuit, in this case it was 2.000A (the meter on the left, and see the bench supply reading as well).

To give you an idea how the device behaves as it warms up, here's some data taken off the Fluke meter in the picture:

Once you get things stable from a voltage, current and temperature standpoint, your matches will be very accurate. Here's a run for one device after it was dialed in:

That's a variance of 0.0004V over 2.5 minutes, which in this case was how long I tested each device to get a stable reading. I then saved the data for each device and used that to correlate matches via a Python script which spit out the "best matches" based on plot data.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back