Portable amp for my gear
Aug 21, 2013 at 8:53 AM Post #16 of 18
well what opamps are you using? have you ventured outside of of the stock rolling kit?

the p4 vs the sr71b single ended vs single ended, In my opinion using the 2 Single LME49990 in L&R 2 HA5002 Buffers 1 Dummy Buffer in the ground and 1 LME49990 in Virtual ground in the p4, to me the p4 sound is superior to the SR71-B. 

i have owned a good ammount of amps and i havent found a amp that the P4 using the right opamp configuration couldnt replicate as good or better in sound quality.

the p4 is powerful, allows you to change the configurations of biffers and opamps thus giving tyou the ability to change the sound signature.

i cant exactly say which opamps and buffers would get you that ''sound'' you are looking for, but i totally believe you could achieve the sound with the p4

you might want to talk to Hiflight on here, he makes complete kits for the p4 he can pretty much throw any buffer/opamp combo together, he can also put together a kit that will give you that sound your looking for.

do nore that rolling opamps and buffers may take some time to get it just right if you are looking for one particular sound in general.

obviously one think to take into consideration is with opamp rolling it allows you to not be stuck with just one sound with just one signature from a amp. where as when you buy say a 700.00 amp after burn in what it sounds like is what it sounds like, the only way to change that is to change the amp completely to another amp. where as with the p4 dont like the signature change the opamp and now you pretty much have a new amp.

Aug 21, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #17 of 18
well what opamps are you using? have you ventured outside of of the stock rolling kit?

the p4 vs the sr71b single ended vs single ended, In my opinion using the 2 Single LME49990 in L&R 2 HA5002 Buffers 1 Dummy Buffer in the ground and 1 LME49990 in Virtual ground in the p4, to me the p4 sound is superior to the SR71-B. 

i have owned a good ammount of amps and i havent found a amp that the P4 using the right opamp configuration couldnt replicate as good or better in sound quality.

the p4 is powerful, allows you to change the configurations of biffers and opamps thus giving tyou the ability to change the sound signature.

i cant exactly say which opamps and buffers would get you that ''sound'' you are looking for, but i totally believe you could achieve the sound with the p4

you might want to talk to Hiflight on here, he makes complete kits for the p4 he can pretty much throw any buffer/opamp combo together, he can also put together a kit that will give you that sound your looking for.

do nore that rolling opamps and buffers may take some time to get it just right if you are looking for one particular sound in general.

obviously one think to take into consideration is with opamp rolling it allows you to not be stuck with just one sound with just one signature from a amp. where as when you buy say a 700.00 amp after burn in what it sounds like is what it sounds like, the only way to change that is to change the amp completely to another amp. where as with the p4 dont like the signature change the opamp and now you pretty much have a new amp.

That's a really good advice :) I'm kind of still stuck with the stock opamps kit so it might take some time... Btw what dac do you recommend to go with iPod classic and p4? I am looking at the 200-300 price range...

Aug 21, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #18 of 18
Quote:
That's a really good advice
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm kind of still stuck with the stock opamps kit so it might take some time... Btw what dac do you recommend to go with iPod classic and p4? I am looking at the 200-300 price range...

if you use the LME49990 in L & R + HA5002 Buffers + LME49990 in the V ground and Dummy in the ground it sound pretty amazing imo, i too am using the w4r and it sounds phenomenal, of course you can try different opamps and gain whatever sound you want.

me personally i am using the Original Cypher Labs Algorhythm SOLO, i have seen one on here for 280.00...personally i like the original more than the newer versions as the older ones use high quality wolfsen dac chips 

Contact HIFLIGHT on here he knows all there is to know about opamp rolling and can put together a kit that is right for you, he also has a p4 opamp rolling kit. IMO the stock opamps are good, but limiting there are  ALOT better opamps out there that utilize the circuitry in the p4 more so than the stock kit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back