Portable amp for my gear
Aug 18, 2013 at 9:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

MahthovenWang

Head-Fier
Hi guys, I am newbie here and hope you guys don't mind my ignorance here... I currently own an iBasso P4 amp to use with my Beyer T90 and Westone 4R. However, I am looking for an upgrade for my amplification but I am certainly puzzled by the diversity of amps out there in the market...... My budget would be around 450 to 500 and I mainly listen to classical music and pop. I also prefer a neutral sound, a big soundstage with decent clarity and a tight and well controlled bass. An amp w/ sac combo would be good as well... So guys I really need your help and thanks in advance :)

Aug 19, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #2 of 18
What's your source, and are you aimming for more power or just clear sound?  Here is my short list for you to get you thinking:

JDS Labs C5 for $190 (amp only).
Sony PHA-1 for $350.
VentureCraft SounDroid Typhoon for $523.

Aug 20, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #3 of 18
Thanks for your reply! My source is an iPod classic playing lossless files and I'm looking for more power as well. I've read quite some bit about the sony pha 1, it seems like a new product from sony and what are your opinions about it?

Aug 20, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #4 of 18
Quote:
Thanks for your reply! My source is an iPod classic playing lossless files and I'm looking for more power as well. I've read quite some bit about the sony pha 1, it seems like a new product from sony and what are your opinions about it?

That's perfect for you.  For $350 you get an asynchronous USB connection up to 24/96 just like the execlent AudioQuest DragonFly, solid all metal construction, all cables included, an very easy to use and charge.  It also takes regular 3.5mm analog input for other stuff too.

Aug 20, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #6 of 18
The same.  The PHA-1 sounded EXACTLY the same as the AudioQuest DragonFly (AQDF) in DAC mode, and the AQDF is one of the best DAC for PC/MAC under $1000.  It does a very good job with iDevices too.  Of course if you want to do up conversion to 32/192 with the VC SDT, then I won't stop you. 

Aug 20, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #7 of 18
Thank you very much... I will seriously give the pha 1 an audition when I have the time. Btw, I've also heard quite some bit about the Dragonfly, and it really makes me wonder why is it so amazing in such a compact size. I am also looking for a portable dac/amp for Mac. I prefer using a portable dac/amp for home use as I really dun want to spend that much on desktop audio systems. I've also heard good stuff regarding the centrance dacport as well. So what are your opinions on it? How does it compare with the dragonfly? I would greatly appreciate it if you could help me...

Aug 20, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #8 of 18
What kind of opamps are you using with the p4? Imo the p4 warbler is the holy grail of amps. Ive owned the e7, e11, ibasso boa,jds c421, c5, alo audio rx mk2

I currently have the ibasso p4 and the rsa sr71-b rev 2 intruder spec upgrade.

And I tell you the p4 depedning on your opamps/buffers I feel single ended to single ended between the sr71b and p4 the p4 is completely capable of producing the same sound quality.

Have tou tried rolling the opamps. You wouldnt believe the capability of the p4 when you get the right opamp and buffer combo.

I kinda was dissapointed at the fact that the ibasso is as capable as it . When you buy a 5-600.00 amp and come to find that the p4 is as capable in sound quality and power as a amp 3 times its price.

Just saying

Aug 20, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:
Thank you very much... I will seriously give the pha 1 an audition when I have the time. Btw, I've also heard quite some bit about the Dragonfly, and it really makes me wonder why is it so amazing in such a compact size. I am also looking for a portable dac/amp for Mac. I prefer using a portable dac/amp for home use as I really dun want to spend that much on desktop audio systems. I've also heard good stuff regarding the centrance dacport as well. So what are your opinions on it? How does it compare with the dragonfly? I would greatly appreciate it if you could help me...

The key to the AQDF success is implementation, as they correctly work out how to use asynchronous USB transfers with 24/96 support.  Both the AQDF and PHA-1 works for PC and Mac, however, I don't have any experience with the dacport, but I do have a HiFi-M8 coming (which also works with PC/MAC/Android/iOS).  DAC wise the AQDF is pretty much my reference, but it is a pretty weak amp.

Aug 21, 2013 at 4:56 AM Post #10 of 18
What kind of opamps are you using with the p4? Imo the p4 warbler is the holy grail of amps. Ive owned the e7, e11, ibasso boa,jds c421, c5, alo audio rx mk2

I currently have the ibasso p4 and the rsa sr71-b rev 2 intruder spec upgrade.

And I tell you the p4 depedning on your opamps/buffers I feel single ended to single ended between the sr71b and p4 the p4 is completely capable of producing the same sound quality.

Have tou tried rolling the opamps. You wouldnt believe the capability of the p4 when you get the right opamp and buffer combo.

I kinda was dissapointed at the fact that the ibasso is as capable as it . When you buy a 5-600.00 amp and come to find that the p4 is as capable in sound quality and power as a amp 3 times its price.

Just saying

So what opamps do you recommend to try rolling in order to get the sound that I kinda want in my first post? And how does the sr 71b compare with the p4? What are your views on sr 71b vs the intruder?

The key to the AQDF success is implementation, as they correctly work out how to use asynchronous USB transfers with 24/96 support.  Both the AQDF and PHA-1 works for PC and Mac, however, I don't have any experience with the dacport, but I do have a HiFi-M8 coming (which also works with PC/MAC/Android/iOS).  DAC wise the AQDF is pretty much my reference, but it is a pretty weak amp.

Then what would you consider as a portable dac/amp that works great with Mac as well? Btw many thanks to your other invaluable advice :)

Aug 21, 2013 at 5:01 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:
So what opamps do you recommend to try rolling in order to get the sound that I kinda want in my first post? And how does the sr 71b compare with the p4? What are your views on sr 71b vs the intruder?
Then what would you consider as a portable dac/amp that works great with Mac as well? Btw many thanks to your other invaluable advice
smily_headphones1.gif

Can't go wrong with either the AQDF or the PHA-1.  However, for the PHA-1 you must set it to 24/96 in your "control panel" or else you will get some weird noise.  Just search for the manual for more details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back