Pink noise works wonders for burning-in!
Dec 13, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #316 of 382
Quote:
I had a spicy curry last night, I am creating some brown noise today!

biggrin.gif

Dec 18, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #317 of 382
I CAN SEE THE LIGHT!!

Count me in for a "this works" vote. Haven't had a chance to leave them overnight but after a few 3-4 hour sessions of 20 minute pink and 2 minute silence, my DT 770s are opening up, refining, smoothing out, and getting a lot more transparent! Hearing more now!

I love Head-fi!

Dec 22, 2012 at 2:56 AM Post #318 of 382
I created a 15 min wave file of pink noise; then put it on my HTC EVO and looped it, to burn in my new CAL!s. I have the volume set at about 86% to the max. Does anyone think this is too much/high? I was using my CAL!s with my EVO last night and when listening to music, it was the same volume or even one click higher which would put the volume at around 93%. I plan on doing about 100 hours of burn in over 4 1/2 days. Any suggestions. By the way, I am a firm believer of burn in. After about 12 hours of it, I can tell the soundstage has gotten wider and the sound is deeper and crisp. 

Jan 2, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #319 of 382
don't know if it's a repost but there's a link for a non-stop loop of :

"White noise, pink noise, radio white noise, 20-20000 Hz frequency sweeps, 10-30000 Hz frequency sweeps, 20-200 Hz frequency sweeps, as well as a minute of silence in between each for a rest period"

http://www.jlabaudio.com/burn.php

Jan 2, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #320 of 382
Unfortuntely a "non-stop" loop would be useless, since you are NOT supposed to allow pink noise to play uninterupted continually, lest you do major irreparable damage to your earphone drivers.

A rest period is always required. I recommend 2 hours PINK, followed by about 30 minutes to an hour of silence. And then repeat those steps (in that order) as often as you like. . .

Jan 3, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #321 of 382
guess you didn't read the entire post... (i use this method 4 to 5 hours a day, 4 to 5 days)

the non-stop loop includes not only pink noise but also "white noise, radio white noise, 20-20000 Hz frequency sweeps, 10-30000 Hz frequency sweeps, 20-200 Hz frequency sweeps, as well as a minute of silence in between each for a rest period"

Jan 3, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #323 of 382
Crap ...I'm rather worried now , I let my cans burn in overnight to white noise for 9 hours the other day. Would my drivers perhaps be damaged? :frowning2:

They'll be just fine...only way you could damage them that way is to play them at maximum volume/SPL for extended periods of time

Jan 3, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #324 of 382
Quote:
guess you didn't read the entire post... (i use this method 4 to 5 hours a day, 4 to 5 days)

the non-stop loop includes not only pink noise but also "white noise, radio white noise, 20-20000 Hz frequency sweeps, 10-30000 Hz frequency sweeps, 20-200 Hz frequency sweeps, as well as a minute of silence in between each for a rest period"

Sorry about that. You're right, I didn't (and I should have before opening my big mouth).

Jan 3, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #325 of 382
Quote:
They'll be just fine...only way you could damage them that way is to play them at maximum volume/SPL for extended periods of time

Quote:
Crap ...I'm rather worried now , I let my cans burn in overnight to white noise for 9 hours the other day. Would my drivers perhaps be damaged? :frowning2:

Sorry about that, I wasn't trying to scare anyone. Just more or less disregard my earlier post. I should have read the entire thread before posting the way I did.

The fact of the matter is, is that a lot of people (like myself) believe in Pink Noise for Burn-In. I was just wanting to emphasize that a rest period can be beneficial, also, in-between Burn-In segments.

Jan 4, 2013 at 6:27 AM Post #326 of 382
Quote:

I wouldn't worry too much, unless of course you can hear a fault? I set mine at just over bareable volume for 8-9hrs and it helped a lot. I agree that if you set them at blistering volumes at prolonged time then you are setting yourself up for a new purchase but keeping it sane will be fine. Drivers are tougher than a lot of people think (though I guess that depends on how logical you are with them and your vol nob?)

Jan 4, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #327 of 382
I can't or rather "don't know" how to hear a fault. It doesn't sound like anything wrong like buzzing or one cup having no sound if that's what you're implying but I'm not hearing much of the forward mids as others have said ( Sony Mdr-1r) but of course this could just be me not knowing what forward mids sound like since I'm a beginner and It's understandable or the cans haven't completely burned-in (only about 11 hours of burn-in time, 5 days out of the box). I burned-in the cans at 50% voloume while my normal listening levels are a little less than that so I didn't set it to an extreme volume.

Jan 4, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #328 of 382
I wouldn't pass judgement on them until you get closer to the 80 to 100 hour range.

Jan 5, 2013 at 3:53 AM Post #329 of 382
For mac users, I think it this handy little app hasn't been posted yet (search returned no result) : Chill (http://davechengapps.wordpress.com/), you can get pink noise from the app but also blue, brown, white, violet noise. It's unexpensive and has a handy timer feature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back