Pink noise works wonders for burning-in!
Apr 29, 2009 at 1:06 AM Post #286 of 382
Quote:

Originally Posted by bergman2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't worry about it....so long as the volume isnt excessive....i put pink noise thru my earmax pro and into my hd650's for about an hour before i want to listen to music and everything is nice and toasty and ready for listening by then

So is the consensus is that pink noise is good? Does it "kill the bass" as someone posted?

Apr 29, 2009 at 6:15 AM Post #287 of 382
i never heard about it "killing" bass, nor have i seen objective data asserting that contention

Apr 29, 2009 at 8:28 AM Post #288 of 382
What's the point of pink noise samples that last over 30 seconds? As far as I can tell - it's the exact same frequencies the entire way through.

Apr 29, 2009 at 8:52 AM Post #289 of 382
Quote:

Originally Posted by t1337Dude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's the point of pink noise samples that last over 30 seconds? As far as I can tell - it's the exact same frequencies the entire way through.

dunno...i just loop a 12 sec clip

Apr 29, 2009 at 9:15 AM Post #290 of 382
I used a pink noise 30 second clip on repeat track for so far around 40 hours of burn in for my Darkvoice 3322 and Senn HD650s and I must say both have come to life over this time period! I am very impressed by what burn in can do!

Jul 8, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #291 of 382
For those who were concerned about paying for pink noise samples 3 years ago (much earlier in this thread, obviously), here is a link to a site where you can download a FREE generator (which also happens to play white noise, as well as some particular frequency sweeps & pure test tone, too):

http://www.burninwave.com/generator_dl.htm

EDIT:  I wouldn't use this option at this point now. Someone has hacked into that site, and infected it with a very aggressive virus. Be forewarned. But I would definitely look for Pink Noise somewhere else, FYI.

Jul 8, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #292 of 382
^anyone ever use this program?

Jul 8, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #293 of 382
Interesting. I'll try that next time I get new headphones- hopefully that won't be for a LONG time since I have a used pair on the way.

I usually do 15 minutes noise/2 minutes rest to let the voice coils cool.

Jul 9, 2010 at 3:44 PM Post #294 of 382

Quote:
Interesting. I'll try that next time I get new headphones- hopefully that won't be for a LONG time since I have a used pair on the way.

I usually do 15 minutes noise/2 minutes rest to let the voice coils cool.

Wow, only 15 minutes at a time, huh? I have read so many differing views on this topic. The guy who put out the free generator that for the link which I posted above suggests 2 hours at a time, with 30 minute breaks in-between.

Crap, you've got me concerned, now because I just had my new Vibes going on pink noise for much longer than 15 minutes
confused_face.gif

Anyway enough about the burn-in stuff, hope I'm not beating a dead horse here
deadhorse.gif

Jul 9, 2010 at 6:09 PM Post #295 of 382

Quote:
Wow, only 15 minutes at a time, huh? I have read so many differing views on this topic. The guy who put out the free generator that for the link which I posted above suggests 2 hours at a time, with 30 minute breaks in-between.

Don't worry, I chose 15 minutes rather arbitrarily. The 15/2 combination just seemed like a good ratio of burn-in to silence.

Jul 9, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #297 of 382

Quote:
I'm using a mix of pink/white noise and music.

I'd say that combo is likely to be the most effective. I usually mix it up myself like that, too. But since finding this thread, I'm a little more inclined to focus my efforts a little more in the direction of using pink noise more than anything else.

Jul 10, 2010 at 11:21 PM Post #298 of 382
I took the track called '(09) - XLO Reference Recordings - System Burn In' and I used audacity to overlap it with some long sine waves. Then I chopped the track up and put in some low frequency sweeps and some quicker repeating low frequency sweeps. (I didn't overlap with these). All of this is arbitrary and completely random experimenting.

Tonight I'm going to do pink noise only and use more rest time.

Jul 11, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #299 of 382

Quote:
I took the track called '(09) - XLO Reference Recordings - System Burn In' and I used audacity to overlap it with some long sine waves. Then I chopped the track up and put in some low frequency sweeps and some quicker repeating low frequency sweeps. (I didn't overlap with these). All of this is arbitrary and completely random experimenting.

Tonight I'm going to do pink noise only and use more rest time.

Cool. . .what brand of earphones/headphones are you breaking in, if you don't mind me asking?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back