Pink noise works wonders for burning-in!
Nov 10, 2010 at 9:16 AM Post #301 of 382
I'm using that burninwave generator, used pink noise and enabled rest period for 2 days straight. I'm a believer in that speakers (my experience in general) need/should be burned-in. Same with headphones.

Jun 3, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #303 of 382
i'm still a relative newcomer to all of this, and had no prior experience with the concept of burning in speakers or headphones. i got my pro 900's about 2 months ago and after 20 minutes of listening right out of the box i was all set to return them. the sibilance. the earpads were covered with blood that was gushing out of my ears as they were repeatedly sliced open by the sibilance, even at lower volumes. it was awful. after some reading here, i was convinced to run pink noise through them, even though i scoffed at people's saying you need 400 hours of burn-in for ultrasones, especially the pro 900 because of the stiff titanium drivers. ~500 hours of pink noise at night, listening during the day later... the sibilance is literally gone. the same songs that made me wince, gasp audibly, and take the headphones off just a few weeks ago i can now listen to with a huge grin on my face. for sure, they are still bright cans, and i love them for their analytical, sharp treble. i enjoy a revealing can if you've got some decent source for it... and the sibilance is no more. the pink noise really worked wonders, and i couldn't be happier now with these. when i ran the pink noise through, i would set it to JUST over listening level. i do recommend it, and you most likely won't need such an extended burn in period for other headphones. 

Jun 5, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #304 of 382
For those running Macs, there's a little app called Noisy that will generate white or pink noise. Very simple and easy. Also, it's free.

Source here: https://github.com/justfalter/noisy
Download the app directly: https://github.com/downloads/justfalter/noisy/Noisy.app.zip

It's not been updated in a while, but works fine on OS X 10.6.7.

Jun 2, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #305 of 382
Quote:
i'm still a relative newcomer to all of this, and had no prior experience with the concept of burning in speakers or headphones. i got my pro 900's about 2 months ago and after 20 minutes of listening right out of the box i was all set to return them. the sibilance. the earpads were covered with blood that was gushing out of my ears as they were repeatedly sliced open by the sibilance, even at lower volumes. it was awful. after some reading here, i was convinced to run pink noise through them, even though i scoffed at people's saying you need 400 hours of burn-in for ultrasones, especially the pro 900 because of the stiff titanium drivers. ~500 hours of pink noise at night, listening during the day later... the sibilance is literally gone. the same songs that made me wince, gasp audibly, and take the headphones off just a few weeks ago i can now listen to with a huge grin on my face. for sure, they are still bright cans, and i love them for their analytical, sharp treble. i enjoy a revealing can if you've got some decent source for it... and the sibilance is no more. the pink noise really worked wonders, and i couldn't be happier now with these. when i ran the pink noise through, i would set it to JUST over listening level. i do recommend it, and you most likely won't need such an extended burn in period for other headphones. 

Forgive me for bumping a thread which has been dead for nearly an entire year. But I have a question for you. . you mention that you gave the phones ~500 hours of pink noise at night, playing it a little louder than normal listening level . .but can you tell me, for how many hours at a time did you leave the pink noise running? Was it all night (i.e. --- for example, was it for 8 hours at a time, or more)? And if so, did you have your system set up to give your phones a "rest" period after just a few or a couple of hours, or did the pink noise run all night, uninterrupted?

Thanks.

Dec 5, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #308 of 382
I don't know if this has been posted as i haven't read all the postings but do a search for Burninwave Generator.  It has pink and white noise plus a frequency sweep and pure tone for burning in cans.  I've used this on my last two sets of cans.

Dec 5, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #309 of 382
I always thought burning-in was BS... until my Sennheiser HD238 and Meelec HT-21 headphones. The Senns sound wildly different (and better) now than they did out of the box. Better bass, crisper/clearer highs, better separation... I was very surprised at how different they sound now. 

Dec 5, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #310 of 382
Is there any chance this pink-noise could damage the headphones if played too loud just from the beginning? I mean immediately out of the box, to let them run on pink noise for 12h, at a slightly higher volume?

Dec 11, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #311 of 382
That's not such a good idea. Right out of the box, I would play them at about 30% for 4 hours at a time. Later on, you could do 12-16 hours at 50-60%...However, you should let rest for a day after long periods of time.

Dec 12, 2012 at 6:44 AM Post #312 of 382
As a newcomer to the world of headphones, I am curious to hear what people think/know/think they know (delete as appropriate) about the burning in process, how it works, what it actually does etc.

I am familiar with the concept from my own experiences, but these are based on time spent installing and tuning high end car audio systems.  I am wondering if headfiers understand it as the same thing.  Or does understanding it matter, do you just do it as a matter of course?

Dec 12, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #313 of 382
I used pink noise (From Amazon) and burnin (SIC) wave program which runs a frequency sweep and allows programmed rest periods. Still working on my Monoprice 839s but sound seems to be getting more opened up. But may be in my head! Google biwavegen.exe 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back