Pink noise works wonders for burning-in!
Jan 4, 2009 at 6:22 AM Post #271 of 382
I got wind of pink noise about 3 years ago and was floored by what it did to cans, cables, amps, dacs and such. I bought a pink noise generator from Mystic Marvel for about $100. I has been wonderful helper. If you buy something with a 15 or 30 day money back return policy, just put it on a PNG for a few days 24/7 and you will know if it is a keeper or not.

Jan 4, 2009 at 6:56 AM Post #272 of 382
I actually use a program called SBaGen for the purpose sometimes. It's not at all designed for this, but it works. Audacity also has a function to generate pink (and white, and brown) noise in recent versions, and is a lot easier to use for the purpose if you don't like command line applications. Both are free, and both are options for non-Windows platforms as well.

That said, I'm not typically doing this to burn in components
wink.gif
I have tried it for headphones I didn't initially like before deciding to return them, but it has yet to change my mind about a headphone.

Jan 4, 2009 at 7:12 AM Post #273 of 382
Wow, I found some pink rolling papers from the 70s put Blue Oyster Cult Extraterrestrial Live on and everything sounded much better.

Jan 4, 2009 at 8:02 AM Post #274 of 382
Go figure. I actually like the standalone PNG. I can use it for a week straight without my computer on.

Jan 4, 2009 at 10:02 AM Post #275 of 382
Is it better to use a pink noise generator or something? I just downloaded a .wav file of pink noise and I've been running that through my mp3 player or my computer to my headphones. Does the source of the noise even make a difference?

Also, a general question about burning in. Is there any benefit to running frequency sweeps? in combination to pink/white noise? I figured i would put together a playlist of a combo of these methods and just let it run, but it it has no real advantages I'll probably just run pink/white noise

Jan 4, 2009 at 1:40 PM Post #276 of 382
Im trying Pink Noise on a brand new set of HD650's right now, how loud should I be playing it? Im just using my laptop at slightly higher than normal listening levels, but its hard to judge how loud pink noise is compared to music. Can burning in at high volumes damage headphones?

Jan 4, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #277 of 382
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sutton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im trying Pink Noise on a brand new set of HD650's right now, how loud should I be playing it? Im just using my laptop at slightly higher than normal listening levels, but its hard to judge how loud pink noise is compared to music. Can burning in at high volumes damage headphones?

Yes burning in at high volume levels may damage the drivers.

Jan 4, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #278 of 382
I heard that pink noise would work wonders in burning stuff in although I have never tried it.

I bookmarked a site where they had downloads of it, but haven't done it yet. Thanks for reminding me
biggrin.gif

Jan 4, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #279 of 382
I use The XLO/Reference Recordings Test & Burn-In CD. For Burn-In, I like to use tracks 7-9 repeated. Two one-minute frequency sweeps & a fifteen-minute pink noise track is all you need IMO.
Aloha
atsmile.gif

Headphile808

Jan 26, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #281 of 382
Jan 27, 2009 at 11:32 AM Post #282 of 382
Thanks for posting the pink noise! I gave my K701 5 hours yesterday and I tell myself they sound fuller now. Bass is more rounded and soundstage more coherent. They were allready burned in by ordinary use for around 50 hours.

This is a great forum
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers!

Apr 28, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #283 of 382
I just got my K701's today and currently have them hooked up to my laptop in the office and running track58 (20 min track of pink noise) with 5 minutes of silence on loop.

After reading all these threads about burn in and pink noise I am still wondering if it makes a difference to burn in using an amp instead of a nothing special 1/8" output?? Any thoughts?

Apr 29, 2009 at 12:31 AM Post #285 of 382
I wouldn't worry about it....so long as the volume isnt excessive....i put pink noise thru my earmax pro and into my hd650's for about an hour before i want to listen to music and everything is nice and toasty and ready for listening by then

Users who are viewing this thread

Back