Pink noise works wonders for burning-in!
Jul 4, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #346 of 382
Quote:
Here's a download link to the Pink Noise - Niagra w/ 1.5 minute silence track I made. It's 195 MB and 19:22 long. It has volume changes also, so keep it at moderate listening levels before playing the track. 

http://www.mediafire.com/download/c7zp4qkeqdjaan0/Pink_Noise.wav

Thanks for that. I'm using your file right now to burn in a new set of headphones.
wink_face.gif

In case someone is curious, this site does an OK job of explaining what pink noise is. It also offers some links to pink noise files and noise generators.
A pretty nice browser based noise generator can be found here. Don't forget to set the preset to 'pink noise' when burning in your 'phones.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 8, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #347 of 382
I found a free iOS app that makes things even easier. It's called 'Burn-In' and is specifically designed for burning in headphones with white or pink noise. It allows you to create a profile for each of your headphones and set a desired total burn-in time for each profile. With each burn-in session it counts down from this desired total time.
The app does offer an in-app purchase which allows you to play music from your device instead of using pink or white noise, but personally I wouldn't bother with this.

The app can be found here.

I hope it's of some use to someone here.
smile_phones.gif

Jul 8, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #348 of 382
I found a free iOS app that makes things even easier. It's called 'Burn-In' and is specifically designed for burning in headphones with white or pink noise. It allows you to create a profile for each of your headphones and set a desired total burn-in time for each profile. With each burn-in session it counts down from this desired total time.
The app does offer an in-app purchase which allows you to play music from your device instead of using pink or white noise, but personally I wouldn't bother with this.

The app can be found here.

I hope it's of some use to someone here. :smile_phones:

That's really neat! Someone had a good idea.

Jul 12, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #350 of 382
My own personal favorite one to use is one from the iTunes App Store, called Audio Sizzler - Audio Burn-In, by CubitCreations Limited

Nov 9, 2013 at 6:48 AM Post #352 of 382
An external headphone amp is not required. The headphone out on your mp3-player / PC / phone should do fine.
As for as volume levels go: With both speakers and headphones I always do burn-ins at normal listening levels and a bit above that after the first 5 hours or so. Pink noise is nowhere near as harsh as white noise, so a low volume setting is not needed.

Apr 13, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #355 of 382
Someone quite recently advised me not to do continuous burn-in past 5hrs at a clip. He stated that the coil could overheat and cause damage. Advised to take 10min breaks after each 5hr span. Anyone else subscribe to this advise? I've never adhered to this and have never noticed any adverse effects from extended burn-in sessions. Thoughts on this? tks

Apr 13, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #356 of 382
Someone quite recently advised me not to do continuous burn-in past 5hrs at a clip. He stated that the coil could overheat and cause damage. Advised to take 10min breaks after each 5hr span. Anyone else subscribe to this advise? I've never adhered to this and have never noticed any adverse effects from extended burn-in sessions. Thoughts on this? tks

Surely that happened to my SA5000 when burn in 5+ days continuously with high volume pink noise.
BIG MISTAKE! soon afterwards 1 driver is DEAD, the voice coil inside was broken=real burn in!
Loud pink noise is dangerous as all freqs have same energy, so the tiny voice coil will overheat and break, just like the silver thread of a fuse.

Now I found the BEST and safe burn in and electronics demagnetizer at same time:
Demagic from Densen, its really good as the audio (loop) will graduate decreased till 0, I even EQ boost low bass max for faster burn in.
Example I burn in 24+ hrs this in ear Creative ep630 that have no bass before and after there is hearable much more bass, the tiny diaphragm foil did loosen up!
So Demagic is for me the best!
http://www.tnt-audio.com/accessories/demagic_e.html
http://www.head-fi.org/content/type/61/id/1346314/[img]
[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BTaK3TsuoA[/VIDEO]

Apr 13, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #357 of 382
Surely that happened to my SA5000 when burn in 5+ days continuously with high volume pink noise.
BIG MISTAKE! soon afterwards 1 driver is DEAD, the voice coil inside was broken=real burn in!
Loud pink noise is dangerous as all freqs have same energy, so the tiny voice coil will overheat and break, just like the silver thread of a fuse.

Now I found the BEST and safe burn in and electronics demagnetizer at same time:
Demagic from Densen, its really good as the audio (loop) will graduate decreased till 0, I even EQ boost low bass max for faster burn in.
Example I burn in 24+ hrs this in ear Creative ep630 that have no bass before and after there is hearable much more bass, the tiny diaphragm foil did loosen up!
So Demagic is for me the best!
http://www.tnt-audio.com/accessories/demagic_e.html
[/quote]

I'll have to give the Densen a go of it. So would you say that the extended/continuous playing of the pink noise(and music as well) was the cause of the voice coil frying or likely due to the volume at which you were playing it at?  I don't have my sound level any higher than normal playback volume. I certainly can understand higher/more intense volume levels causing the coil to heat to dangerous/damaging levels. thoughts?

Apr 13, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #358 of 382
I'll have to give the Densen a go of it. So would you say that the extended/continuous playing of the pink noise(and music as well) was the cause of the voice coil frying or likely due to the volume at which you were playing it at?  I don't have my sound level any higher than normal playback volume. I certainly can understand higher/more intense volume levels causing the coil to heat to dangerous/damaging levels. thoughts?

It was not that LOUD as Max headphone handling level, it was just abit louder than usual listening level.
Im sure the continuous "loaded" evenly energy in whole freq. bandwidth caused overheating, same thing happens with overdrived loudspeakers, coil will burn or glue break/meld/burn etc.

AND its useless to use pinknoise as most flexing of the diagphragm happens at the low bass freq. to flex the excursion flexibility!

Apr 24, 2015 at 8:11 AM Post #360 of 382
HAHA So you should be able to use your headphone at their full potential after over 3 months of burning them in? You can't leave the headphones on any noise for long periods of time like that, not even a day at a time really. I personally wouldn't expect any kind of sound changes over 40 hours. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back