Pink noise works wonders for burning-in!
Jan 8, 2007 at 3:28 PM Post #61 of 382
If you have played it at a only slightly than average volume pink noise can't have damaged your headphones. Maybe the bass is still there and the burn-in only brought out more mids and/or highs, so you have a more balanced sound now (my guess)

Jan 8, 2007 at 7:34 PM Post #64 of 382
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Hunter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you have played it at a only slightly than average volume pink noise can't have damaged your headphones. Maybe the bass is still there and the burn-in only brought out more mids and/or highs, so you have a more balanced sound now (my guess)

Im guessing 25% on my iPod would be safe? Or anything under 50%. BTW everyone; all links for the pink noise should be working.

Jan 8, 2007 at 7:58 PM Post #65 of 382
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i find it funny that people think they need "lossless pink noise" lol.

you're burning in your f'in headphones, not trying to pick out nuances in the pink noise...

i burn mine in with gold ol' fashion listening, so i can tell differences over time.

Actually, the idea is consistent with the thought that if not all information is representable in the file format you used, then obviously not all of the intended noise reaches the drivers which in turn doesn't "stretch" the drivers as much.

Whether pink noise actually help or not, I'm not aware, but does it makes a difference to use lossless instead 8 bit mono mp3, most probably.

Jan 8, 2007 at 8:03 PM Post #66 of 382
Quote:

Maybe the bass is still there and the burn-in only brought out more mids and/or highs, so you have a more balanced sound now (my guess)

Or perhaps all of this exists only in your imagination (my guess).

Jan 8, 2007 at 8:20 PM Post #67 of 382
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILikeMusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or perhaps all of this exists only in your imagination (my guess).

As I mentioned in another post, It seems there is a common misunderstanding about the way microprocesses evolve over time. Two different levels of uncertainty seem to intermingle in many to yield disbelief about the fact that microprocesses evolve over time, and as such, that not burn-in can possibly occur.

Do microprocesses found in drivers evolve over time? As any other physical system, the inevitably do. Changes brought on by use and what they are used for (this includes manipulations, type of music, frequencies they are exposed to, etc).

The real question, where the uncertainty could lie, is whether it is possible, at a human level, to notice those differences. I don't have any trouble imagining that it is possible for those who have relatively intact hearing and who are finely in control of what they perceive through it to be able to truely distinguish those changed [with varying degrees of success].

On the other hand, for those of us who don't have perfect hearing due to attenuating circumstances or aren't attentive to non-verbal changes to the proper extent, it is very much probable that the effect is similar to that of a 'placebo'. It does by no mean imply that one can't become more finely tuned to what one hears if their hearing allows and if they decide to pay more attention to non-verbal processes.

Jan 8, 2007 at 8:37 PM Post #69 of 382
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you're all nuts.

hey! i resemble that remark!
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 8, 2007 at 9:09 PM Post #70 of 382
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know what this pink noise reminds me of? Waterfall! Besides the high pitched part of noise that is.

I discovered a waterfall in the Catskills that made a high-pitched sound but I sold it to a leprechaun.

He's made a fortune selling pink noise clip downloads.

Jan 8, 2007 at 9:29 PM Post #72 of 382
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
aaah! you guys are such buzzkills. or is that pink-noise-kills?
wink.gif

No, I'm a believer. Like I said, that leprechaun made a fortune.
icon10.gif

Actually I haven't tried burning anything in with pink noise but I'm very intrigued. The next whateverIget will get a nice wallop of the pink.

Jan 8, 2007 at 10:08 PM Post #73 of 382
I'm a believer on the pink noise/white noise break-in thing - but not only because of speed. An alternative - breakin in with bass sweeps - can harm your headphones irreparably. Whether or not you believe in break-in, or the leprechaun, it's best to be safe with your expensive headphones.

Or why not simply enjoy the music and forget about break-in (should you be so inclined)?

280smile.gif

Jan 9, 2007 at 7:26 PM Post #75 of 382
I tried the burn-in using pink noise for 24 hours for my new E2c's and I did not notice any audible difference. I found this interesting FAQ at Shure's web site...

Quote:

Shure earphones do not require a break-in period. Some headphone websites recommend "burning in" or "breaking in" new headphones with an audio signal for some length of time before use. There is a legitimate logic behind the idea of a break-in period for loudspeakers and even full-size headphones. The part of the speaker that is being "broken in" is called the surround, which is the part that flexes when the speaker diaphragm moves in and out. In the case of the tiny speakers used in earphones, the diaphragm only moves about 1/1,000th of an inch in either direction when exposed to normal signals. So, it is doubtful that a break-in period would significantly alter the compliance of the diaphragm. Shure has not measured any difference in performance between earphones that are brand new and earphones that have been used extensively. Because hearing is subjective, however, different users may hear different things when comparing new and used earphones.

Link: http://personalaudio.custhelp.com/cg...i=&p_topview=1

Great site by the way, I am learning a lot from you folks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back