Pink noise works wonders for burning-in!
Jan 10, 2007 at 1:42 AM Post #78 of 382
Quote:

Originally Posted by hilikus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here is 5min of pink noise I generated. Just set it on repeat
biggrin.gif

FLAC (23.5MB ziped)
http://mmcgrew.net/media/audio/pink_...noise_FLAC.zip

MP3 320kbps (10.2MB ziped)
http://mmcgrew.net/media/audio/pink_..._noise_MP3.zip

WAV 16BIT PCM (24.9 ziped)
http://mmcgrew.net/media/audio/pink_...WAV_16_PCM.zip

happy burning-in

You are awesome. Pink noise has worked WONDERS for my RSA Tomahawk. I think my Senn 595's were for the most part burnt in, but I picked them up after letting the pink noise run on repeat out of my iPod, and wow, that was a nice difference.

Of course the real change happened when I strapped in my Super.fi 5 pro's on my way to work. Wow... I finally understand why everyone else has been raving about this little thing. That sound "in between your ears" thing is gone. Hello soundstage!

Jan 10, 2007 at 1:52 AM Post #79 of 382
My new DT880s should be delivered tomorrow; can anyone recommend a suitable amount of time for burning them in? This pink noise seems to accelerate the process considerably, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jan 10, 2007 at 2:15 AM Post #80 of 382
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akathriel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The shures are all balanced armatured designs rather than dynamic. This is probably why you didn't notice a break in effect.

The E2c's are dynamic.

They're basically your typical earbuds with sleeves, and in IEM form.

That's why they're so bulky in comparison to the rest.

Jan 10, 2007 at 2:35 AM Post #81 of 382
Yet another free tone/noise generator (pink/white). This will also do linear/log sweeps and stacked tones (up to 16 or so). And if you really want to give your friends an entire lossless CD of pink noise
rolleyes.gif
(by definition it wouldn't really be pink noise if it was missing tones) it will save the stuff to a wav file. I guess I just bankrupted that leprechaun
tongue.gif

http://www.nch.com.au/tonegen/index.html
Just hit the download button
wink.gif

Jan 10, 2007 at 3:06 AM Post #82 of 382
Quote:

Originally Posted by M0T0XGUY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does it matter the quality of the pink noise? For example, would a lossless version of pink noise burn in headphones better than a lower quality compression? The sample sounds like it was less than 128kps MP3....

EDIT: Forget that website, I'm not paying 5 bucks for 15 minutes of pink noise.

Dude, you must have hearing like a dog. I listened to the pink noise and it sounded like...well static (I know, blasphemy). I could not imagine that anyone could have a reference point to compare a 128 kps MP3 pink noise sample over, say, a lossless sample. Would it even be possible to tell just by listening? Curious is all...no dig intended.

R/
Dustin

Jan 10, 2007 at 4:55 AM Post #83 of 382
Quote:

Originally Posted by dali71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My new DT880s should be delivered tomorrow; can anyone recommend a suitable amount of time for burning them in? This pink noise seems to accelerate the process considerably, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

I was wondering the same thing for my 701s and for when my new 650s arrive? I tried it the other day on the 701s for 4 hours and I believe it may have made a differance. Have to listen more to really tell though. How many hours are we looking at here?

Jan 10, 2007 at 4:17 PM Post #84 of 382
If you have a sound meter then it can be used to set the volume heard in the phones to 90db when using Pink Noise to burn in. This not an excessive level for this purpose.

By the same token Pink Noise must be useful as a signal source for amp burn in also.

Jan 10, 2007 at 5:15 PM Post #85 of 382
Quote:

Originally Posted by blent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was wondering the same thing for my 701s and for when my new 650s arrive? I tried it the other day on the 701s for 4 hours and I believe it may have made a differance. Have to listen more to really tell though. How many hours are we looking at here?

Many people say the K701's require at least 300 hours of burn in to reach it's full capabilities. And I'd say 200 horus for the HD650's would be sufficient.

I've had my K701's burning in for the past 20 hours or so. I'll give it a go when I get back from work which would conclude about 25 hours of burn-in with 20 hours of use. We'll see how it sounds. =T

Jan 10, 2007 at 6:23 PM Post #86 of 382
Quote:

Originally Posted by jirams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you have a sound meter then it can be used to set the volume heard in the phones to 90db when using Pink Noise to burn in. This not an excessive level for this purpose.

By the same token Pink Noise must be useful as a signal source for amp burn in also.

Anyone familiar with any cheaper decent quality sound meters?

Jan 10, 2007 at 6:31 PM Post #87 of 382
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The E2c's are dynamic.

They're basically your typical earbuds with sleeves, and in IEM form.

That's why they're so bulky in comparison to the rest.

Ahh my mistake then. Should've done my homework.
icon10.gif

Jan 10, 2007 at 8:16 PM Post #89 of 382
Jan 10, 2007 at 10:11 PM Post #90 of 382
I preface this with:
These are just my whimsical thoughts and should in no way be taken seriously.

Is it just me, or do the same people that judge speakers/headphones based on their respective ability to reproduce pink noise are the same one's who buy speakers/headphones based on frequency graphs? I know this is kind of a tangent and hijacking of a thread, but I just think that it's kind of a silly utterly unmusical way of observing music. Similar is the difference between feeling/aesthetic of music and theoretical breakdown of music. IMO the latter is hugely lacking/overly clinical and gets only skin deep to what music is. IMO, music is like the universe, and pink noise and frequency graphs are like theorems created by fish in a tank trying to understand the universe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back