Pink noise works wonders for burning-in!
Jan 10, 2007 at 10:41 PM Post #91 of 382
Quote:

Originally Posted by laxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Many people say the K701's require at least 300 hours of burn in to reach it's full capabilities. And I'd say 200 horus for the HD650's would be sufficient.

=T

But does using pink noise speed up the burn in process? If not, I might as well just play music thru them for the 300 hours and enjoy them.
600smile.gif

Jan 10, 2007 at 11:09 PM Post #92 of 382
Quote:

Originally Posted by blent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But does using pink noise speed up the burn in process? If not, I might as well just play music thru them for the 300 hours and enjoy them.
600smile.gif

I think they should since it plays sound constantly from the entire range with an emphasize on the lower tones.

Jan 11, 2007 at 1:05 AM Post #93 of 382
Quote:

Originally Posted by jirams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This a great one and cheap

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

Got one.

If your trying to set up a 5-7.1 speaker system, setting db is a must. The newer systems have a mic for auto setting. If other fiers have one, measure your open phones in a quiet room. I was suprised at how loud they were. Guess I'm keeping the dogs up at night.

As to the burn in issue....IMFO (feeble for the forum nazis)

Using white noise at gradually up to 100% design rating on all electronic/electric components (not headphones) for extended periods (hrs to days), opens the electrical circuit to its current carrying cability. The higher current helps "burn" thru oxidation and partial circuit bridges that create distortion. I'd think cryo treatment after this would make a metal circuit optimal for the life of the product with dead quiet noise. I would think doing break in occasionally to older equipment would help too. Does anyone know if you can get a white noise source extending above 20-22k? Like 50k? 100k? This would be for high resolution systems.

Medical, military, aviation, etc. (life critical) specs on components require operating specs be met at time of use. No break in, no drift. Some of these components have to have burn in for stability.

Headphone drivers need breaking in for flexing materials. Getting the best extension possible helps impact speed and bass extension. The high current would help the coil wire. If pink noise wasn't continous but a sweep thru the freq. range, it would be fine. Perhaps a sustain for a second or two on random octives would be easier for the drivers. A designed break in pattern would be best. Pink noise holds the peak signal strength. So full volume break in would not be so good.

I'm sure there are several threads on this topic with more qualified than I. These are just my feeble thoughts.

Jan 11, 2007 at 7:24 AM Post #95 of 382
Quote:

Originally Posted by axiom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yet another free tone/noise generator (pink/white). This will also do linear/log sweeps and stacked tones (up to 16 or so). And if you really want to give your friends an entire lossless CD of pink noise
rolleyes.gif
(by definition it wouldn't really be pink noise if it was missing tones) it will save the stuff to a wav file. I guess I just bankrupted that leprechaun
tongue.gif

http://www.nch.com.au/tonegen/index.html
Just hit the download button
wink.gif

this one is the best yet. stupid simple which is the way i like it!
wink.gif
and you don't have to generate a tone then save it to a .wav yaddah yaddah yaddah. just select pink noise and hit play. thanks for this one!!

Jan 11, 2007 at 9:21 AM Post #96 of 382
So what's the verdict on this? Good? Bad?

Seeing mixed results, Im not sure if I would want to try it out. I've got a new amp arriving (X-1) arriving tommorow and I just wanted to be certain if this actually helps or not.
blink.gif

Jan 11, 2007 at 9:27 AM Post #97 of 382
I'm very sceptical about this but - hey! - it's free to try, so I took a shot and ran my K 701s (200+ hours already) with the pink noise file overnight. I have no confidence whatsoever in the ability of my ears to discern this, but for what it's worth, I do believe that the bottom end opened up a little as tested on cello and bass. Psychological factors are so significant in this that my verdict is pretty much useless, but if enough people agree that there's a benefit there may even by a placebo advantage in giving it a go.

Jan 11, 2007 at 5:10 PM Post #98 of 382
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this one is the best yet...just select pink noise and hit play. thanks for this one!!

That's why I thought I'd share it
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by MatsudaMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Similar is the difference between feeling/aesthetic of music and theoretical breakdown of music. IMO the latter is hugely lacking/overly clinical and gets only skin deep to what music is.

But this is the nature of man. This could be said of almost any discipline (mathematics, physics, music,...). The problem is that our minds are not capable of wrapping around extremely complex thoughts/objects/ideas all at once and so we must write it down as "rules" in order to better attempt to understand pieces of it.
Just my 1 1/2 cents
600smile.gif

Jan 11, 2007 at 6:46 PM Post #99 of 382
Quote:

Originally Posted by MatsudaMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I preface this with:
These are just my whimsical thoughts and should in no way be taken seriously.

Is it just me, or do the same people that judge speakers/headphones based on their respective ability to reproduce pink noise are the same one's who buy speakers/headphones based on frequency graphs? I know this is kind of a tangent and hijacking of a thread, but I just think that it's kind of a silly utterly unmusical way of observing music. Similar is the difference between feeling/aesthetic of music and theoretical breakdown of music. IMO the latter is hugely lacking/overly clinical and gets only skin deep to what music is. IMO, music is like the universe, and pink noise and frequency graphs are like theorems created by fish in a tank trying to understand the universe.

Matsuda, When I bought my DT880 05s, I bought them because everybody on headfi seems to rave about them and puts them on top of the heap with the K701 and HD650. I had read all the reports from members on their experiences using the various headphones and how wonderful the synergy between their equipment and the phones had worked out. As you probably know, as do all others on this forum, this can be an enormous time-sink and you'll end up being in the same place in the end. You may narrow down the phones to three or four, but have no idea how this phone will sound with your source, cables, amp, recable, DACs, and whatever else is out there; all in a quest to have the end result, the headphones, sound the way you want them. And I think some people on this forum need to have their hearing checked and have had their headphones up wayyyy too loud over time. Many musicians have a hard time hearing from being on stage, and will argue about sound quality.

Getting used to an overly bright or harsh headphone can sometimes mean suffering from a temporary threshold shift of your hearing to the change in sound. (I've actually been calling this "Ear Burn In" and think it happens all the time with people on here) If your ears are fatigued, you should probably find a better suited phone to your hearing ability before you wipe it out, deaden it, or need more and more analytical/bright/colored phones. Come to think of it, do a lot of new headphone users complain about phones sounding to analytical before they get some time under some phones? Maybe its because they have good hearing early, and their EARS actually get burnt in? hmmm....

This has been on my mind for a while, as I think my DT880s are bright as hell, and I can't stand them. I don't need phones to be loud in the upper ranges to hear detail, and it doesn't need to be sharp and grainy to compensate for a lack of it either, which is why I generally like flat phones. If I would've looked at the graphs of the DT880s before I bought them, I would have seen that they're like 10db higher than the rest of the range. I would've chosen the K601 or K701 instead of these. I ended up depending on reviews from users who have an infinite number of system configurations which never offer truly objective assessments of phones, just how they sound on THEIR system. I'd like to find out how it will be on my system, and if data is available from a meter that can at least narrow down the frequency response or signature before I hear from people about how tubes vs. solid vs. cables, etc. etc., I'll more than likely be using that heavily in selecting my next pair of phones. Meters usually don't have personal tastes, opinions, comfort levels, and can be recalibrated before use, unlike the organic ear drum, which can be damaged and never fixed.

So, I like graphs and quantitative measuring tools, and in the end, we all end up complaining about extension, range, poor mixing, levels, etc., so why not take the tools/methods we use late in the game, and apply them early? I'm sure the builders of the phones use meters and find great value in their use, so why not do what they do? Use graphs and available data. It keeps it simple and extremely time efficient. I've seen people buy and trade all kinds of stuff on here, even buying a pair of phones on the lower end of a series, to get an idea of house sound before going up the top of the line, and sometimes going full circle based on system specific info people write on the forum. Too much dickering for me.

Jan 11, 2007 at 7:10 PM Post #100 of 382
Quote:

IMO, music is like the universe, and pink noise and frequency graphs are like theorems created by fish in a tank trying to understand the universe.

So how would you propose that those fish go about understanding the universe? Using their fish science to develop theorems, or just subjectively making things up as they go along?

Feb 4, 2007 at 3:28 AM Post #102 of 382
Quote:

Originally Posted by mADmAN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://www.edifier.com/scn2005/suppo...s.v1.01.en.zip

that should be it...but i cant seem to download anything (not even the flac pink noise)...could be caused by the taiwan quake messing up the internet connection over my side of the planet.

just give it a try and see for urself

i used this same software to burn in my Edifier R501 MKII 5.1 speakers...on both sets that i have.

This is the pink noise program that is blowing me away. Tell it to generate pink noise for 6 hours and it starts. Since it was designed specifically for burning in speakers by a reputable manufacturer that sells speakers, this is my keeper.

Another great head-fi thread!

Feb 4, 2007 at 4:35 AM Post #104 of 382
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you're all nuts.

lmao!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back