Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
Sep 8, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #6,542 of 37,599
Yeah the J3 is around 5mm longer, but nearly half as thick (J3 and DX50 are around the same width). With the case on the J3 is around 7mm longer and only 2mm thinner than the DX50. But this is pretty good, considering how powerful the DX50s amp is.

Yes very good indeed:)

The J3 looks very wide in the picture due to the perspective, I'd assume.

Out of those two rigs, which do you prefer more?

Sep 8, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #6,543 of 37,599
Just found my old pair of Pioneer HDJ-1000 and are giving them a listen through my FiiO X3.
Waiting for a FiiO E12 to pair up with my Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250Ω.

4Uv0.JPG

Sep 8, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #6,544 of 37,599
I want share how to handle with care your Brass body from Ko Jo KM - 01 amp :

Note : solid dye CNC brass is very fast oxidise

To pretend fast oxidise process , please do as follow

1. Every time you change the battery , please clean up your finger print with lens cloth or
Eye wear cloth .
Finger print is oily can fasten oxidise process.
2. Wrape the whole body with lens / eye wear cloth like my picture above
3. Wrape with anti slip mate and use rubber to tighten the wrapping units

Enjoy your longer shining your brass body like Ko Jo Amp

Rudi,

Were you trying different batteries for sound quality?  Don't lie, you were..........lol

Sep 8, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #6,545 of 37,599
Rudi,

Were you trying different batteries for sound quality?  Don't lie, you were..........lol

LOL^
You made my day, haha.

"Cleaner" power, my friend! :p

Sep 8, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #6,546 of 37,599
Yes very good indeed:)

The J3 looks very wide in the picture due to the perspective, I'd assume.

Out of those two rigs, which do you prefer more?

It depends on what I want. If I'm looking for the most detailed, the DX50 by itself wins out. Detailed with a wide soundstage, the J3+E12 and DX50+E12 are comparable, though DX50+E12 is still better imo. The DX50 by itself doesn't sound closed in, but the E12 sounds wider, though the DX50 is more detailed and separates instruments better (this may sound counterintuitive, but it makes sense in my mind). 

I wouldn't really use the E11 for anything now, besides as a cheap carry around. If someone I know complains about low headphone volume in person, I'll probably give it to them. The E11 was really just so the J3 had something to sit on in this photo lol.

The DX50 + E12 is not worse than the DX50 by itself, but the wide soundstage of the DX50 sacrifices sound of the sharpness of the DX50. When I'm listening to music before I fall to sleep, I'd rather have the wide soundstage and smoother sound, but when I'm fully awake I'd rather have the DX50 by itself.

I kind of glad that this is the conclusion, as I only recently bought the E12, and this has given it some use (as well as use with the J3).

Sep 8, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #6,548 of 37,599

It depends on what I want. If I'm looking for the most detailed, the DX50 by itself wins out. Detailed with a wide soundstage, the J3+E12 and DX50+E12 are comparable, though DX50+E12 is still better imo. The DX50 by itself doesn't sound closed in, but the E12 sounds wider, though the DX50 is more detailed and separates instruments better (this may sound counterintuitive, but it makes sense in my mind). 

I wouldn't really use the E11 for anything now, besides as a cheap carry around. If someone I know complains about low headphone volume in person, I'll probably give it to them. The E11 was really just so the J3 had something to sit on in this photo lol.

The DX50 + E12 is not worse than the DX50 by itself, but the wide soundstage of the DX50 sacrifices sound of the sharpness of the DX50. When I'm listening to music before I fall to sleep, I'd rather have the wide soundstage and smoother sound, but when I'm fully awake I'd rather have the DX50 by itself.

I kind of glad that this is the conclusion, as I only recently bought the E12, and this has given it some use (as well as use with the J3).

Thanks for the comparison as I am also interested the synergy between E12 and DX50, much appreciated ... However, I really cannot go back to J3 after using AK100 then X3 and now DX50...especially when I feel that so much detail is being missed out on the J3... Also, the EQ feels pointless... this is just really my opinion, I do rock my J3 in the gym occasionally.

Sep 8, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #6,549 of 37,599

Thanks for the comparison as I am also interested the synergy between E12 and DX50, much appreciated ... However, I really cannot go back to J3 after using AK100 then X3 and now DX50...especially when I feel that so much detail is being missed out on the J3... Also, the EQ feels pointless... this is just really my opinion, I do rock my J3 in the gym occasionally.

I used the EQ to help out my earphones. They were a pair of Sennheiser CX550 - pretty good, but way too fragile. Had them about 6 months of light use before they gave in, so I switched to a pair of ATH-ES55 and never looked back. I've never used the X3 or AK100, but the DX50 is definitely more detailed than the J3. The DX50 + E12 is not a bad pair. For casual listening I actually prefer it, because it's less fatiguing (as smoother sound always is). With my K550s, the DX50 is sharp, and surprisingly sometimes sibilant. Not painfully so, but 'ch', 'tch', 's' and 'z' sounds are more noticeable without the E12 than with it. With the E12 it isn't 'undetailed', just a bit less detailed than without it. Really the E12 just helps balance between width and detail. Plus you have the easy bass boost if you should require it.

Sep 8, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #6,550 of 37,599

I used the EQ to help out my earphones. They were a pair of Sennheiser CX550 - pretty good, but way too fragile. Had them about 6 months of light use before they gave in, so I switched to a pair of ATH-ES55 and never looked back. I've never used the X3 or AK100, but the DX50 is definitely more detailed than the J3. The DX50 + E12 is not a bad pair. For casual listening I actually prefer it, because it's less fatiguing (as smoother sound always is). With my K550s, the DX50 is sharp, and surprisingly sometimes sibilant. Not painfully so, but 'ch', 'tch', 's' and 'z' sounds are more noticeable without the E12 than with it. With the E12 it isn't 'undetailed', just a bit less detailed than without it. Really the E12 just helps balance between width and detail. Plus you have the easy bass boost if you should require it.

Good stuff, thanks for the detailed info.. I also order the ltd. ed E12, it should be fun to try the opamp rolling..

Sep 8, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #6,551 of 37,599

Ahh, so judging from that, I guess it could be said that the instrumental separation and detailing is a bit aggressive?

I agree with the E11 part, haha. It's seems more like a paper weight at times for me.

Anyways, the DX50 and E12 sounds like quite the package with a few minor sacrifices for buttery smoothness.

Sep 9, 2013 at 7:50 AM Post #6,553 of 37,599
Let me tell you this combo kicks ass. Hifiman 901 balanced amp card + Flat-4 Kaede = crazy soundstage and clarity.

But Kaede isnt available... I got a frd to call up Fujiya to confirm..i have a question meaning to ask, is it possible to recable these iem?

Sep 9, 2013 at 8:53 AM Post #6,555 of 37,599
I would never take the risk to recable such a precious iem. I think there is one for sale on the FS forum now.

Thanks for the pointer... I am going to Tokyo soon so I will try my luck there first... I only wish I could one day no longer need to look at price tag before purchase...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back