Pictures Of Your Portable Rig (part XV)
Jan 8, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #3,181 of 7,509

Quote:
You got some nice gear there!

How does the SQ of the RoCoo P compare to the DIYmod?

Haha, thanks. Been meddling with the rig for 2 years. Finally got a finalized rig.

The Rocoo P sounds pretty good. Compared to the DIYmod, it sounds less warm and more neutral. Bass is rather polite; that might be due to me using it with UM Miracle and a Silver Dragon.
Clarity can be improved and staging is lovely. Guess more burn in is needed.

Jan 9, 2012 at 9:04 AM Post #3,183 of 7,509
Surely the amp in the Hp-P1 is better than the D-0?  Is there a reason why you use the ibasso or is it just a nice synergy match?

I can understand why you would add a balanced or high end portable amp but something like the D-0 really surprises me.  I dont know anything about the D-0 and am only going on price.  I love ibasso rigs and think that they offer awesome performance per cost....but the Hp-p1 is a pretty pricey and high end piece of kit.

Cheers

Jan 9, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #3,185 of 7,509

Quote:
Surely the amp in the Hp-P1 is better than the D-0?  Is there a reason why you use the ibasso or is it just a nice synergy match?

I can understand why you would add a balanced or high end portable amp but something like the D-0 really surprises me.  I dont know anything about the D-0 and am only going on price.  I love ibasso rigs and think that they offer awesome performance per cost....but the Hp-p1 is a pretty pricey and high end piece of kit.

Cheers

Personally I own the HP-P1 (well for another day and off it's going for a trade tomorrow), and whilst travelling in HK last month, I manage to give the D-0 a try. I have to admit I didn't care much for the D-0 as an amp (iPhone -> LOD -> D-0). Having said that, it could merely be a burn-in issue 'cos I didn't like my HP-P1's amp when I first got it too and it took about a month's worth of burn-in before it's amp portion started to shine.

At least to me, the HP-P1 is worth it's price - and I don't think it's all that expensive. A CLAS & a decent amp costs more, and a fully upgraded VentureCraft Go-DAP is just shy of the HP-P1.

Jan 9, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #3,186 of 7,509
The P1 does have an excellent amp section, at least when driving my iem. I really have nothing against the amp section, and compared to the d-0, is far superior - and, together with the dac section, provides a more than enjoyable listening experience. It's just that these last couple of days I've been going back to my old dance/trance/electronic/r&b albums and just for the heck of it, tried to put the d-0 into the rig. To my surprise, the little amp which I thought I wouldn't use for a while now did in fact add a little bit more punch to the beats and bass, and also made the sound just a tad darker, which is how I like my dance/trance songs to sound. When using the P1's amp section (and dac), in a lot of parts of certain songs, the highs and mids were much more clearer to the point where they were crystal-clear - which of course is a very good thing - but it's not how I like them in these particular genres. I like them punchier and darker (but not to the point where they are muddied), even in the mids and highs. When listening to these sort of music, imaging is not as important to me - I just want something to kinda 'turn me on,' if that makes any sense... hehehe. Off course, this is just a matter of taste. I still do, without a doubt, think that the P1's amp section is far superior compared to the d-0 - it's just that I don't enjoy it as much when listening to the music I've been listening to these couple of days.

Jazz and acoustic really shines using the P1 (dac and amp). Also tried the d-0 as amp, but decided that I didn't like it. I really enjoy acoustic guitars and jazz only with the P1. I don't intend to diss other genres such as dance/R&B when I say this - but imho, jazz and classic (which is not my fav genre, btw... hehe) do have a much more sophisticated arrangements in terms of number of musical instruments and how/where the instruments are located - and this is where I think the P1, with nothing else - at least not the d-0 - can trully be appreciated. Separation, imaging/soundstage, or whatever audiophile term there is just superb to my ears. But then again, I am new in this audiophile world, and needless to say, haven't heard too many potable gears at all.... hahaha.

I hope my lengthy explanation can give you a rough idea as to why I added the d-0 to the rig - and it is lengthy simply because I suck at writing short sentences which can clearly sum up my idea... hehehe :)

Quote:

Cheers

Tau aja gw org Indo... hehe...
Gw beli di ratu plaza (kl ga salah inget, lantai 3 - satu tingkat di atasnya yang ada service center buat apple). Setelah naik escalator, belok kanan dikit. Gw pake gela skin, jd kayaknya sie bisa lo order online aja...

TheDreamthinker
naganya keren banget. Belinya di mana?

Jan 9, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #3,187 of 7,509
Thanks for the detailed replay Lukasaswin.  It says a lot for the quality and performance of the ibasso products that a $99 amp can still find a place next to a $650 dac/amp.  Kudos to iBasso.

Part of the reason why I bought the CLAS/Rx2 combo was so that I could swap amps when I wanted to changed the character of the sound.  I havent done a lot of rolling as yet due to me really liking the character of the Rx2 (after at least 100 hours of burn in).  I have used an RA1 clone and the ibasso D12 (with the HiFlight opamp kit) so far and am just waiting for the Alo Rx3 to be released.  Sometimes an amp that sounds awesome with one set of headphones will sound average with another.  So finding that synergy or frequency response etc can really lift the overall performance of a particular combination/rig.

Jan 10, 2012 at 4:26 AM Post #3,188 of 7,509
I also considered taking the CLAS/RX2 path before purchasing the P1. I havent't auditioned an RX2 yet, but i've A-B'ed the CLAS (with d-0 as amp) and the P1 - when I expected that I would easily like one setup more than the other, boy was I wrong. It was a very tough choice and the hours of A-B-ing the two dacs didn't help either (thanks to the guys at jaben jakarta for allowing me to test the two for hours, not to mention the dozens of times connecting my ipod from CLAS to P1 and back to CLAS). If money was not an issue, I would have with no second thoughts bought the two dacs on the same day... hehehe. However, that was not the case, unfortunately. After going home and have about a couple of weeks of thinking I decided to go for the P1 as it offers a balance between stunning SQ (but not superior nor inferior to the CLAS) and portability (in terms of size). Still eyeing that CLAS though... hehehe...

How is the synergy of the CLAS and RX2...
I am likely to get a CLAS in the future, but still undecided on what amp to use it with, especially when I haven't auditioned a lof of amps until now. Would be interesting to see and audition the RX3... any news on when it will be released?
I also have my eyes on the GoVibe Vestamp... looks dead simple and visually sexy. Can't wait to audition this amp once it arrives in Indonesia (not sure when) :)

Quote:
Thanks for the detailed replay Lukasaswin.  It says a lot for the quality and performance of the ibasso products that a $99 amp can still find a place next to a $650 dac/amp.  Kudos to iBasso.

Part of the reason why I bought the CLAS/Rx2 combo was so that I could swap amps when I wanted to changed the character of the sound.  I havent done a lot of rolling as yet due to me really liking the character of the Rx2 (after at least 100 hours of burn in).  I have used an RA1 clone and the ibasso D12 (with the HiFlight opamp kit) so far and am just waiting for the Alo Rx3 to be released.  Sometimes an amp that sounds awesome with one set of headphones will sound average with another.  So finding that synergy or frequency response etc can really lift the overall performance of a particular combination/rig.

Jan 10, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #3,190 of 7,509
This is my first post and I thought I'd kick off with a few pics of my travel to work rig.

Its a Neco V3 with upgraded op amps and batteries. I am currently using it with my G4s as my ipod is sick (see pic) and awaiting a new battery and hard drive...
frown.gif

Don't ask me how it sounds compared to anything else as its my first headphone amp. All I can say is that compared to not having one it's very good indeed. And yes I know a decent lod might help but I cant bring myself to spend stupid money on 3cm's of lead.

My sick 60g 5g awaiting new parts.

Jan 10, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #3,191 of 7,509

Quote:
This is my first post and I thought I'd kick off with a few pics of my travel to work rig.

Its a Neco V3 with upgraded op amps and batteries. I am currently using it with my G4s as my ipod is sick (see pic) and awaiting a new battery and hard drive...
frown.gif

Don't ask me how it sounds compared to anything else as its my first headphone amp. All I can say is that compared to not having one it's very good indeed. And yes I know a decent lod might help but I cant bring myself to spend stupid money on 3cm's of lead.

My sick 60g 5g awaiting new parts.

I think you would be better off getting a LOD made out of copper or silver rather than lead..... ;D

Jan 10, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #3,193 of 7,509

Quote:
Now I suppose I have to find myself a couple of those audiophile rubber bands to hold things together.

Save some money.....go to the grocery store and snag the rubber bands off some bundles of broccoli.
L3000.gif

Jan 10, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #3,195 of 7,509

Quote:
Now I suppose I have to find myself a couple of those audiophile rubber bands to hold things together.

I use rubber O rings from the plumming section of any hardware store. They are strong and stretchy enough. Plus they are thin - so dont interfere with the click wheel if you use one near the screen and one below the click wheel:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back