Pictures of Your Portable Rig [Part XIV]
Jan 9, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #1,921 of 3,208
i may be able to get some old shure e3c's but i remember trying them years ago and they werent so great.. i thought maybe with a rockbox eq or something i could get them to sing.. anybody remember if they were any good?

Jan 9, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #1,922 of 3,208

Quote:
HD650 for portable use? That's crazy 
blink.gif

WHY!?  "Portable" to me doesn't mean I'm going for a 6 mile run (that's what my Clip+ and SuperFi 4's are for).  "Portable" means I'm going upstairs to fold clothes, sit on the couch while my wife is watching Desperate Housewives or I just don't want to be glued to a PC.

Jan 9, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #1,925 of 3,208
Where did you find the E1 with such a nice short cord?

Jan 9, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #1,926 of 3,208

Quote:
Quote:
blink.gif

WHY!?  "Portable" to me doesn't mean I'm going for a 6 mile run (that's what my Clip+ and SuperFi 4's are for).  "Portable" means I'm going upstairs to fold clothes, sit on the couch while my wife is watching Desperate Housewives or I just don't want to be glued to a PC.

Well, for folding laundry and whatnot it's fine, but I think it's a bit silly to take full-sized open headphones out to places like work or on a train where everybody and their mother will hear what you're listening to and you won't get any isolation

Jan 9, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #1,928 of 3,208

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
blink.gif

Well, for folding laundry and whatnot it's fine, but I think it's a bit silly to take full-sized open headphones out to places like work or on a train where everybody and their mother will hear what you're listening to and you won't get any isolation

Especially HD650s, with their paint-chipping issues and all.

Jan 9, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #1,929 of 3,208
Finally ...

Jan 10, 2011 at 5:58 AM Post #1,931 of 3,208

Quote:
Took it apart, cut the wire, and resoldered the wires back onto the PCB, wasn't too difficult (and I am quite noob)

I actually guessed that that is what you did. Congrats! Looks like a job well done. I may have to do that to mine....

Jan 10, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #1,932 of 3,208

Quote:
Quote:
It is getting more and more portable :).

Another cable replacement (Mogami W2534 -- Mogami W2893/ Canare F12 -- Neutrik)

blink.gif

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
blink.gif

ouuu..maybe you are right. Thats why I dont take the HD800 because these are even more open :). Seriously I have to take a 20 min walk to work and I dont have them too loud to disturb anyone. Further at work I easily put them into my stationary amp. Regarding the paint-chipping issues, I cannot share the opinion of grokit. Not yet..
Maybe we should talk about the word "portable"? And maybe I am one of a few people who stays at the toilet with the HD650 :).
To sum up I wouldnt say it is crazy. Maybe it is not normal but what is normal nowadays..

Jan 10, 2011 at 3:41 PM Post #1,933 of 3,208
Amazing how well these two items work together, given their relative prices.....

The humble Flats and the 4G 32GB Touch

Jan 10, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #1,934 of 3,208
Probably going to do what you do.
I am so tired of looking for high quality OPEN portable headphones for moving around INSIDE the house.

Quote:
Quote:
blink.gif

Jan 10, 2011 at 5:01 PM Post #1,935 of 3,208

Quote:
Regarding the paint-chipping issues, I cannot share the opinion of grokit. Not yet..
Maybe we should talk about the word "portable"?

For me I draw the line between the HD600 and the HD650 based upon the cosmetic durability factor. The 600 will take a beating with it's faux carbon-fiber infused plastic, it's finish is very durable. The 650 is durable of construction as well, but the paint does chip easily and the headband ends up looking like cr@p if not handled with care. There are headband covers available for the 650 on eBay, this would be a good use for something like that IMO. Check out a sampling of used ones in the FS forums to see what I am talking about, you can also see how their resale value is affected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back