Pictures of Your Portable Rig [Part XIII]
Jun 22, 2010 at 7:46 AM Post #5,791 of 5,950

Quote:
They re-release Zelda Ocarina of Time for that 3D thing! How can I withstand that? :D

There are loads of old Ninty games that should be released in 3D Widescreen glory.  Me, I'd probably buy every one! Hah.

11amaberry:  Cheers for the link, but I use R4.  I've found the emulator for it now, gonna mess with it laters.

Right, I've finished on the Ninty Tip also.  :)

Jun 22, 2010 at 8:30 AM Post #5,793 of 5,950
I was the previous person who stated feeding a portable amp via a headphone out is pointless.

Read post #29 of the link below... Nuff said. Im pretty sure i trust the words of rays over dfkt.
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/375425/emmeline-p-51-the-mustang/15 

Quote:
 Please do not purchase my amp if your source has no line out. Using the headphone jack out of your source to any amp defeats the purpose of using an external amplifier. Many posts we read where the person claims that there is no difference in sound quality between the source headphone jack & the amp that he or she purchased using the headphone jack as the input to the amp. Quality of the sound also improves when your files are not compressed, the compression induces hiss & the sound quality is no longer enjoyable.

So High_Q you were right to ask for measurements. I for one have tried a headphone out and got no gain in quality. In the end trust your ears and not someone else's "Words of wisdom"

Quote:
Quote:
Please explain, or provide measurements like you typically do.  Explain how the headphone out is that good.  It think it helps people that you honestly believe are misinformed(including me, I am not an expert on DAP audio out signals) rather than just bashing them.

Quote:
You are so incredibly wrong, it almost hurts. I just commented on that misconception 2 or 3 pages ago in this thread.

Jun 22, 2010 at 2:15 PM Post #5,794 of 5,950
i'm sorry, but the lineout from ipod comes from the same place the HP out does. if it is done correctly, its still not bad and not at all pointless, if you need an amp for more power, better volume control whatever and obly have HO out, there is no reason not to do it. sure LO is better as far as output impedance, but digital volume turned all the way up is the same as not being there at all.

Jun 22, 2010 at 2:35 PM Post #5,795 of 5,950
Quote:
i'm sorry, but the lineout from ipod comes from the same place the HP out does. if it is done correctly, its still not bad and not at all pointless, if you need an amp for more power, better volume control whatever and obly have HO out, there is no reason not to do it. sure LO is better as far as output impedance, but digital volume turned all the way up is the same as not being there at all.

No it doesn't, typically lineout is the line level signal bypassing the crappy headphone amplifier that is inside a DAP, and therefore not from the same place.  Also, you are suggesting double amping, which introduces spurious responses in the signal for the external amp to amplify and further distort the signal.  If the headphone amp on the DAP is lousy(noisy, bad response) etc, can create very lousy sound, and another amp with pick up the lousy signals.  It is best to start with the best amp the, worse performing amp can come after.  Its best to bypass the internal amp if the external amp is much better.  

Jun 22, 2010 at 3:12 PM Post #5,796 of 5,950
One exception to the lineout superiority argument are the higher-quality portable amps made for the 1 & 2G pre-dock iPods. The one I am thinking of has a frequency response specifically tailored for the iPod's headphone out; it is bass-heavy to match the big low-end roll off the early iPods were infamous for. It also has no volume control on it, which eliminates redundancy and improves the sound quality. I still use that amp (it was replaced for free relatively recently when the battery died after 5+ years), and it sounds as good as any portable I have plugged my HD600 into. Hisses with some IEMs though, but back then IEMs were not considered something you would want an external amplifier for. As it has no volume control of it's own, it is definitely not compatible with a LOD connection.

Can anyone guess what it is? Free multi-colored jellybean for the winner!

Jun 22, 2010 at 3:34 PM Post #5,797 of 5,950

Quote:

And in addition, the Arrow, which was dfkt's reference, can still do its bass boost, cross fade and impedance matching, even if it's 'just' working with a headphone out.

Pic!

The OK2s are not mine.

Jun 22, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #5,798 of 5,950
^ Nice pic Limpidglitch. Well done.

Jun 23, 2010 at 2:47 PM Post #5,801 of 5,950
A couple of budget items:

SA1983A Philips Raga 8gb, it's a limited DAP, MP3 or WMA only files, no radio - But oh boy doesn't sound nice for £35, no joke it's seeing more use than my Clip+

The second item is a T-Mobile Pulse Mini phone, Android 2.1, GPS, FM Radio plays MP3's & Apple files a treat and sounds pretty good, also hasMini SD card slot with 3.5mm headphone jack.

I've got to honest I'm really enjoying listening to the Philips, it sounds pretty darn good with 320kbps Lame encoded MP3 files.

Jun 23, 2010 at 2:54 PM Post #5,802 of 5,950
Philips SA1983A 8gb Raga side by side with a Sansa Clip+, so far I'm getting around 30 hours playback or so between charges with the Philips Raga.

Jun 23, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #5,805 of 5,950

Quote:
I agree the only way an ArrowHE would be worth the money is when using a clean line out. like that of ipods or sflo2.

It's true: you don't need a line out to cleanly amp a signal. Truth be known, very few players with 'line outs' have good line outs. The iPod has a good one and the S:Flo has a good one, but... I'd love to meet someone who could tell the difference between an amped iPod line out and the HPO amped with the same amp. 

The S:Flo is different if you have headphones and ears that can 'hear' it. The S:Flo has an audible treble roll off, which I noticed in my first few seconds listening to the thing. The line out fixes that issue, so ... that is a difference. A decent headphone out to an amp is incredibly good. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back