Pico Slim first impressions and reviews thread. See p31 onwards for a couple of solid reviews + pics + useful info.
Jul 18, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #526 of 939

Quote:
Wee I got mine yesterday... I am number 156, it got stuck in customs grrr.

But nice little map, I just made a lille angeled mundorf IC to cowon s9, sounds gret. But...

With my s9 at max volume, and the slim at "4 o´clock" the music is at about normal listening levels. My god old Move goes to around 12 o´clock. Is the slim not that strong or?

or...the Cowon has low output. I have this problem with my Cowon i9. The pair looks great together but the i9 is lacking power to begin with so it didn't work to pair the i9 & Slim. I now use a 6G iPod Classic. With LOD to Slim, there's plenty of power and sounding great. I just miss having the nice EQ with i9...I have it paired with SR71A which has plenty of power to overcome the low output of i9. I'm using Westone 3, Ortofon e-Q7  & Phonak PFE  mostly.

Jul 19, 2010 at 4:00 AM Post #528 of 939
I had a surprisingly enjoyable time trying the Audio Technica ES10s and ESW9s with my iPod Classic/TWAG LOD/Slim rig.  I noticed if you try and use too demanding full-sized headphones, you get boomy and out-of-control bass response with the Slim, as it isn't designed for them, but not with the above cans, where it was surprisingly good.

Jul 19, 2010 at 5:38 AM Post #529 of 939
Hmm well the cowon s9 has a output of 2x29mW right, or is it more, I cant remember, but it is more than e.g. an Ipod.

It just stuck me that it cant "blow my ears of" so to speak, not that I do that, it just it feels weak, if you get my point

Jul 19, 2010 at 12:31 PM Post #531 of 939

Quote:
Hmm well the cowon s9 has a output of 2x29mW right, or is it more, I cant remember, but it is more than e.g. an Ipod.

It just stuck me that it cant "blow my ears of" so to speak, not that I do that, it just it feels weak, if you get my point

the max output is about 4.2Vpp, 200mA.  hard to know exactly how cowon is quoting the power output but my guess is the equivalent for the Pico Slim would be about 300mW per channel, or around 10x more power.  If you are turning the volume knob to MAX, and its not loud enough, and it's not clipping, then the issue is the output from the cowon is too low and you need more gain.  The gain on the Pico Slim is set low to keep the amp's signal to noise ratio as high as possible, and distortion as low as possible.  also, because the digital vol. ctrl on the Pico Slim has far more attenuation than most amps, you will have to turn the knob more before reaching loud levels.  If you are just attempting to amplify the headphone output of your source, you'll have to turn the knob more than 3/4 of the way up before its "louder" than just using the headphone out of that source.  of course the distortion is probably 1/1000th...

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Jul 19, 2010 at 12:57 PM Post #532 of 939
Okay, so it is normal :) Also the er4s are hard to drive so no wonder, and I dont have any problems with a lower output, its just I thought it was wierd comming from a Move :)

Jul 27, 2010 at 9:26 AM Post #536 of 939
Since I received notice I could pick up my iPhone 4 finally, when I had the chance, I tested it with the RE-ZEROs with and without the Pico Slim.  Without, dialling up some good jazz, the result was unlistenable, seriously, sounding very harsh. However, with the Pico Slim it was very good, even considering what I'm used to with my home rig. The difference in the quality of amplification between my iPhone and the Slim is considerable with the kind of music I listen to most often.  I recall Jusin saying that the level of distortion in the Slim was a large order of magnitude lower than the output of an iPod (?).  What I heard today most definitely confirms that. There was no change in the tone, ie: no boosted bass or any tricks to make it sound better, the quality was simply a great deal better.

Now I don't know if anything has changed with the RE-ZEROs or the Slim since I recieved either, but the difference I heard today against the cost of the Slim makes it very worth it to me.  The value of the TWAG LOD is a little more questionable, especially since you can get a FiiO/Oyaide LOD very cheaply which is very high quality. However, that isn't low profile and the TWAG is hand-made.

I'll have a go with my TF10s soon, but I suspect the difference might not be as great, being that they were designed to work straight out of an iPod or the like to begin with.

Jul 27, 2010 at 10:05 AM Post #537 of 939

Quote:
No more bottom end punch than straight out of the iPod so far. Just the usual positive effects of better amping such as less congestion on fast music, better instrument separation etc. Not a major change, but one that is apparent with some time listening. I'm not sure with the RE-ZEROs or my TF10s the Slim, especially including the TWAG LOD, has been a good value investment compared to a desktop rig (isn't that always true?) so it's something I'll have to re-visit once I get around to getting JH-13s or 16s where the difference might be more clear.

Well, I just got Qusp's #44 yesterday.  Hooked up to my iMod with the TWag LOD and TWagged JH16 Pros.  Based on Qusp's description, the Pico Slim is not anywhere close to being burned in, but the synergy with the JH16 Pros seems to be excellent!  Very detailed representation, nice transients and visceral impact on Best of Jacintha encoded in Apple Lossless.  Great soundstage.  If anything is missing, that would be some lower bass harmonics, warmth that the TTVJ Slim does so well, but that isn't as detailed in the treble range.

The JH13s also match well, but there the presentation is a bit too sterile, overly analytic for me, similar to the Protector in that aspect.

You'll be very pleased with the JH16 Pros and this amp.

Jul 29, 2010 at 1:37 PM Post #539 of 939
You may want to take a look at this case,  I bought it for my mini and my 4g photo Ipod. Unfortunately I have not had a chance to try the case due to my extended stay in the hospital

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110472090445&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Jul 31, 2010 at 5:24 AM Post #540 of 939
Justin posted a link to this review in the pre-order thread

http://www.headfonia.com/pico-slim-first-impression/

Just got mine. Had 1 1/2 hour train journey yesterday and was enjoying the Pico Slim very much with Twag LOD, iPod Classic, ALAC files and Earpeace Livewires T1. The first quarter of the volume pot will never be used by me, can't hear anything really. The gain is no louder than the iPod headphone out, maybe a tad less even - but the quality is way ahead. And it is way tiny!

(Grr, I hate how you can't just copy and paste/spell check in the new format Head-Fi in Firefox).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back