Pico Slim first impressions and reviews thread. See p31 onwards for a couple of solid reviews + pics + useful info.
Jul 7, 2010 at 2:34 AM Post #496 of 939
So, crisis out of the way, on to first impressions...particularly since I have not seen any comparison yet with the RSA Shadow, which I would have thought is the most similar competing product to the Pico Slim.

Minor Issues:  Pico Slim does not pick up the faint iPod hard drive spin-up whine that the Shadow does when secured against the back of the iPod 5G.  However, the Slim does exhibit that big switch-on pop/thump.  Connectors slide in & out of the Shadow much more easily, yet remain secure.  The Shadow has a nice brushed-aluminum finish that doesn't show fingerprints or scratches, whereas the Slim's glossy surface is gorgeous but makes me worried about both.

Sound quality:  Very little difference to my ears between the Slim and the Shadow.  The Slim does seem a bit more "transparent" or "open" in the mid and mid-high ranges; whereas the Shadow seems to have a very subtle "darker" quality.  Any such difference is very small though--they both sound terrific.  (This listening with UM3X 'phones)  Need more time to decide which signature I prefer (keeping both not being an option
frown.gif
)

Ergonomics:  Given the lack of really significant SQ difference, my choice of a keeper may come down to how each amp handles.  Both are tiny and very well built; I think the Pico Slim's thin and long form factor better complements the iPod.  Both of them complicate my life by placing the input and output jacks on opposite ends.  The choice between volume knob or spring switch is probably the biggest factor; and will also require some time living with the Pico Slim to figure out which I prefer.

Jul 7, 2010 at 12:16 PM Post #497 of 939
I get my slim for couple of day.
I have one small question about the slim.
I found there will hiss arise when the know is turn to 2~3 clock.
Is that normal?

Beside, When I quickly revolve the knob, I found the sound quality will go from bad to worse.

But I still like the slim and impress by its Stereo crosstalk and sound stage

Jul 9, 2010 at 6:46 AM Post #500 of 939
The volume control, while amazing in not feeling like it has steps in the slightest, is a bit noisy at the latter end of its travel. However, I'd probably say considering how much gain is being provided at that point, a bit of noise is not an issue.  When playing music, it's certainly not audible to me with the RE-ZEROs that I just got.

Jul 9, 2010 at 3:01 PM Post #501 of 939
I just got home from a bit of a vacation last night to find my Slim at home waiting for me. I charged it overnight (since it came in the box with the switch in the ON position) and I'm listening to it now using my HD555's. Sounds great. I've not noticed any hiss or anything negative so far. I haven't experienced the pop when turning the unit on or off because the switch is too close to my headphone cord when it's plugged in to use so I have to turn it on or off with nothing plugged in. Decided to keep the slim in it's leather case and velcro that to my iPod, this allows me to easily remove the Slim should I want to.

So far, listening to Nine Inch Nail's Year Zero, the highs are a lot clearer (less muffled?) than the stock iPod headphone amp. Haven't noticed a lot else yet, but I love the volume control, and I like the idea of taking some of the strain of my iPod's battery via a dedicated external amp. As I listen I will probably start to like it more, but I'm already happy. 

Jul 10, 2010 at 12:16 PM Post #502 of 939
[size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt]My Slim finally arrived here. I've made an album with couple of pics http://www.head-fi.org/gallery/album/view/id/10953/user_id/84889

First look of the amp - sweet little thing! Just below the size of a credit card. The leather case is really nice as well, all feel high quality, thumbs up for this.
I have been using my Cowon S9, Meizu M6 and TF10 so far with it.
I do hear those pops clearly when turning the amp on or off. Little loud, could be still worse, but I see in this, most of us would probably prefer no pops at all.
With no input connected, I can hear slight hiss when the knob is about around 80% or above. (12:00 or more in my case) Rest of it remains silent with my TF10s. Another thing I noticed, I have to turn the knob at least half way before I even begin hear sound from my player, though according what Justin said earlier in this thread it should be normal. Not that I cannot get the sound loud or right about my preferred listening level. The Slim surely has more power than a small E5. Blow it away!
I also managed to hear small noise between the volume steps. Again noticeable if the knob reach 12:00 clock or more. I even noticed them when music where on, sometimes they go away. Not sure why I'm experience this.

Sound: The amp seem to add a slight more soundstage on the Cowon compare unamped, same with Meizu but also a bit more clarity too in this case. Otherwise I would say out of the box there is no major difference. It doesn't add any warmth or coldness IMO, pretty neutral. Think it's great.

Overall I'm happy with my purchase, but these noise between the volume steps could be small annoying if I can get rid of them.
[/size]
[/size]
[/size]

Jul 10, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #504 of 939

Quote:
...  Turns out the mini-plug has a tiny dent on one side at the very base--this, in the particular jack used on the Pico Slim, was killing the signal.

I mention this as reinforcement of the above posts that even a slightly defective or out-of-tolerance connector can cause unexpected issues that are not the amp's fault...

Is the dent in the jack of the Pico Slim, or in the mini of the ALO cable? If in the 2nd was that caused by a bump or has it been there since you received it? Thanks.

Jul 10, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #505 of 939
Jul 10, 2010 at 9:08 PM Post #506 of 939

Quote:
Is the dent in the jack of the Pico Slim, or in the mini of the ALO cable? If in the 2nd was that caused by a bump or has it been there since you received it? Thanks.

It's in the cable mini.  Have no idea if it's been there forever, or caused by something since I've had it.  I never noticed it before because it's very small, and has caused no issue in either of the amps in which it's been previously (RSA Tomahawk, then Shadow).  I'm still using it with the Pico Slim--I just turned the amp over so it doesn't hit the "cutout" position.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back