Pico Slim first impressions and reviews thread. See p31 onwards for a couple of solid reviews + pics + useful info.
Apr 23, 2010 at 12:48 PM Post #196 of 939
With the Pico Slim, I said earlier in the thread at normal listening levels with or without music play back there is not an audible hiss at all. But a bit past half volume (1:30 and on) with no music play back you begin to hear a faint hiss that becomes louder as you turn up the volume. Also I do not hear any clicking on a low volume as oogabooga states, but I do agree with the rest of his assessment as it’s similar to my earlier one. Hissing is not an issue at all with the original pico, I find it great with no hissing noises until the dial is maxed without music play back. I can not comment on the se530’s as I sold mine over a year ago, but with my ue11’s I’m happy with the performance of the Slim so far.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oogabooga /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I find it very easy to find the level I want, and I do not hear any "clicking" when turning the dial, except possibly at the very lowest end of the dial, below 8h30 where I can't hear the tunes. … …

Apr 23, 2010 at 1:19 PM Post #197 of 939
Alright, so my slim just died for the first time since i received it on monday. I charged it right out of the box till the light went off so it was at a full charge before i started, and while i didnt keep track of the time i would guestimate it got around 60 hours out of it, a mixture of being fed from my dac19 and from my iPod classic, being run into my jh-13's.

Also of note, i just realized when i took the slim out of its case, that it gets noticeably warm to the touch when its being used, a phenomenon that i dont encounter with the protector.

Apr 23, 2010 at 1:38 PM Post #198 of 939
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also of note, i just realized when i took the slim out of its case, that it gets noticeably warm to the touch when its being used, a phenomenon that i dont encounter with the protector.

Out of curiousity, do you also keep the protector in a case? I *think* the Slim's case is real leather - a decent heat insulator.

Apr 23, 2010 at 1:42 PM Post #199 of 939
Quote:

Out of curiousity, do you also keep the protector in a case? I *think* the Slim's case is real leather - a decent heat insulator.

i hadnt even thought of that, but i honestly dont think that caused it. It might have made it slightly warmer, but the protector is actually cool to the touch at all times. Though ill run the slim our of the case for a couple hours after its done charging again to see if it makes a difference

Edit: i guess i didnt answer the question lol but no i dont keep the protector in a case of any kind

Apr 23, 2010 at 1:42 PM Post #200 of 939
Quote:

I would most certainly hope that the case is real leather considering how much we're paying for the package

Apr 23, 2010 at 2:22 PM Post #201 of 939
Quote:

Originally Posted by LintHart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would most certainly hope that the case is real leather considering how much we're paying for the package

100% leather is pretty expensive, it's prob a pleather variant like you see in non luxury cars with the "leather" option. Though if it was 100% leather that would be impressive.

Apr 23, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #202 of 939
Quote:

Originally Posted by OPTiK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
100% leather is pretty expensive, it's prob a pleather variant like you see in non luxury cars with the "leather" option. Though if it was 100% leather that would be impressive.

They are leather according to Justin

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f38/he...ml#post6272275

Apr 23, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #203 of 939
Quote:

Also of note, i just realized when i took the slim out of its case, that it gets noticeably warm to the touch when its being used

I noticed the same with the Pico Amp/Dac. I thought it was due to the size/function ratio but haven't noticed it with other ultra-portables (although they have been amps w/o a DAC)

Apr 24, 2010 at 3:04 AM Post #205 of 939
I used it at work for the majority of the day. The amount of control you have over the volume is very impressive. I don't feel like I have to crank up the volume either to get a full sound since even at very low levels this amp sounds great. Definitely dead silent as well at the volumes I listen to.

Apr 25, 2010 at 12:17 AM Post #208 of 939
Quote:

Originally Posted by WalkGood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Posted some new pictures of my new mini bridge IC that I made today for Pico Slim in the DIY cable thread here and new whole rig pictures over there.

Great work WG - quite the handyman
tongue.gif

Doesn't that velcro strap get in the way a bit? Have you tried the tesa powerstrips? Seeing as though you are the 'post-a-link-king', here you go
wink.gif

Apr 25, 2010 at 12:57 AM Post #209 of 939
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaeO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great work WG - quite the handyman
tongue.gif

Doesn't that velcro strap get in the way a bit? Have you tried the tesa powerstrips? Seeing as though you are the 'post-a-link-king', here you go
wink.gif

Thanks ... so far the velcro hasn't got in the way, but I like your powerstrip idea, I might give it a go once the strap wears out, thanks.

Apr 25, 2010 at 2:00 AM Post #210 of 939
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvelousmarvyd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know this is off topic, but can someone tell me which amp is smaller between the T3 & Pico Slim.

I think the slim is slimmer and narrower, but might be a tad longer than the T3. You'd have to check the measurements for both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back