Pico Slim first impressions and reviews thread. See p31 onwards for a couple of solid reviews + pics + useful info.
Apr 27, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #226 of 939
#32 finally made it through the volcanic ash cloud and landed today. Its even smaller in real life and is literally dwarfed by my monstrous looking HifiMAN.

Photo063.jpg

Photo064.jpg

The digital volume control is perfect and for the first time i can truly enjoy the HifiMAN without any hiss and have plenty of volume control to boot. The switch on (& off) thump is pretty severe and definitely something you will only do the once with a set of customs in your ears
eek.gif
. The LW start picking up music around the 8 o’clock position but for my normal listening its closer to 11 or 12.

Can anyone else hear the steps, when moving the volume pot with no music playing?

Apr 27, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #227 of 939
Quote:

Originally Posted by lisnalee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone else hear the steps, when moving the volume pot with no music playing?

yeah, with no music playing i can hear the steps starting around 10 or 11 oclock on the dial, and weirdly, its louder if im turning it counter clockwise then when im turning it clockwise lol, anyone else notice that?

Apr 28, 2010 at 2:08 AM Post #228 of 939
Quote:

Originally Posted by Navea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was number 2 on the order list and i got number 6. Dosent matter for me, just letting you know that you probably wont get your number on the order list.
As for the sound, for now this is my favorite portable amp for my JH13/16. It really does something special to my iems. Just love it
smily_headphones1.gif

Something special, such as?

Apr 28, 2010 at 5:42 AM Post #229 of 939
Quote:

Originally Posted by WalkGood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have both but have not directly compared them yet, I'll include this when I finish my opinion or mini review. I'll try this comming weekend as I've been focusing on the Slim for the last 2 weeks. Probably won't post my updated opinions for a few more weeks ...

Aw thanks a bunch!
You're cool!

*grabs popcorn and waits*

Apr 28, 2010 at 5:44 AM Post #230 of 939
Hahaha lisnalee your pico slim looks like a roach stuck to the underside of a boot

but an AMAZING show of size difference!

Apr 28, 2010 at 6:53 AM Post #231 of 939
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fizban /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hahaha lisnalee your pico slim looks like a roach stuck to the underside of a boot

but an AMAZING show of size difference!

LOL
biggrin.gif

it maybe small but its perfectly formed right down to the the dinky volume knob which is a joy to use. I done a few quick A/B tests comparing the stock amp module of the HifiMAN with it last night and although similar in a lot a of ways the slim definitely has moar bass impact. I'm on the fence whether to go JH13 or 16 with this but if the limited reviews so far are anything to go by, the 16 may have too much bottom end for me.

Apr 28, 2010 at 7:09 AM Post #232 of 939
Quote:

LOL
biggrin.gif

it maybe small but its perfectly formed right down to the the dinky volume knob which is a joy to use. I done a few quick A/B tests comparing the stock amp module of the HifiMAN with it last night and although similar in a lot a of ways the slim definitely has moar bass impact. I'm on the fence whether to go JH13 or 16 with this but if the limited reviews so far are anything to go by, the 16 may have too much bottom end for me.

My JH13Pro have a lot of bass with Pico Slim, and I don't know that I would want to use JH16Pro on it. It improves the bass on my ES3X as well, while still somehow keeping the UE11Pro bass under control. So, with that in mind the JH16Pro might still be fine with it. The nice thing is that with just about all the amps I've tried I never feel the JH13Pro lack bass, so it's a pretty safe purchase.

Apr 28, 2010 at 5:57 PM Post #234 of 939
Quote:

I'm on the fence whether to go JH13 or 16 with this but if the limited reviews so far are anything to go by, the 16 may have too much bottom end for me.

It depends on what you like. The JH13 has only a tiny bump above neutral in the very lowest bass, to help replace the lack of physically transmitted bass that you would experience listening to speakers or live sound. The extra bass does not interfere with or mask the rest of the spectrum, and is restricted to below 50Hz or so.

The JH13 could only really be considered "lacking" bass by someone who wants much more bass than neutral, and isn't really interested in neutrality/accuracy.

I have no experience with the JH16.

Apr 29, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #235 of 939
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The nice thing is that with just about all the amps I've tried I never feel the JH13Pro lack bass, so it's a pretty safe purchase.

This is a really good point. I would agree that with many different amps, the JH13s have beaucoup bass. For me this is true with RSA Mustang and Shadow, Xin SuperMicro and SuperMacro, even a Minibox-E+. My old Grado RA1 on the other hand, not so much...but better than most cans I have!

Apr 30, 2010 at 2:35 AM Post #236 of 939
Just placed an order for the Pico Slim. I have a Sony X and will buy Alo Audio LOD after i get my amp. Hope it takes it to another level as Sony X is great out of the box. Now i guess i have to wait. This will be my second head amp purchase .. i had AE-1 with my Rio Karma ..

PC

Apr 30, 2010 at 2:51 AM Post #237 of 939
Another update on my Slim - after a week of using it with my iPhone 3GS, I've noticed that the EMI rejection on my Slim is not so great when the iPhone is in EDGE mode - I hear a lot of the "GSM buzz", and it can get quite loud! Oddly enough, when the iPhone is in 3G mode, I only hear the buzz once in a while. Still not sure if I want to use the Slim (or any amp) on the go with my 3GS - I'm too dependent on the inline controls/microphone!

At my desk I've used the Slim with my Gamma2, and from a musical standpoint I'm really digging the sound out of my Slim/SE530s. Bass impact is awesome, and I'd be hard pressed to tell a difference from a Pico (it's been over two months since I had the Pico, so I'm going from memory). Of course the volume control puts the original Pico to shame on IEMs.

May 1, 2010 at 12:41 AM Post #238 of 939
Just coming on here to give an update on my Slim, oh wait I haven't got mine yet!!! Got a shipping notice on Tuesday after a week of saying it was going to ship but didn't. It looks like the trick most people play, send you a tracking number just to silence the critics and then ship when you get good and ready!!! After saying all that it looks like it will be a nice amp when it arrives!!!

May 1, 2010 at 3:53 AM Post #240 of 939
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never known Justin to operate that way, and I believe he sends within 24 hours of supplying the tracking numbers.

Yeah, I wouldn't think he would do that either. I got tracking info on Tuesday and haven't received the amp either, and last I checked yesterday tracking wasn't showing any info. But, at least I got the TTVJ loaner luxman P1u today, so I'll just spend the weekend testing that out instead while I wait for the Slim to arrive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back