Pico Slim first impressions and reviews thread. See p31 onwards for a couple of solid reviews + pics + useful info.
Apr 20, 2010 at 5:02 PM Post #122 of 939
Can anyone comment(when getting it ofcourse) on the slim with universal iem?this thread and most of the protector thread are talking about the impressions with jh13 and forget about portable headphones and universal armature iems and well not all of us have jh.

Apr 20, 2010 at 5:08 PM Post #123 of 939
I was at the Boston Meet last month, I owned the shadow and listened to the TTVJ slim and the Pico slim. Both of these beat the shadow for openness, clarity and slam. I chose the TTVJ as I (my opinion) thought it was slightly better than the Pico slim in dynamics and warmth with my JH13s. Also the Pico was still not available, and I really thought all these amps were better than the Shadow. Since then I have also heard and now own the Headstage Arrow 12HE, which is comparable to the TTVJ slim and the Pico slim, IMO. Final conclusion, I think you would do well with the Pico, TTVJ or Arrow, and they are all better than the shadow.

Apr 20, 2010 at 5:26 PM Post #124 of 939
LeeMark, I like your assessment and agree with you. I too enjoyed testing the TTVJ and certainly can not say anything bad about it, in fact if I had not gone for the Pico Slim for size, build quality and the pots, I would have either gone TTVJ or Arrow as well.

Apr 20, 2010 at 5:48 PM Post #126 of 939
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's hard not to be attracted to the size/build on the Slim. The case, too, looks snazz. I'm beholden to my iBasso T3D, but who knows.

While I say size and build quality is great, don’t forget the potentiometer’s dead on control makes it ideal for iem’s and customs. Honestly haven’t heard this level of control in any portable amp I’ve tried, not to say that others are bad, just way less control.

Apr 20, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #128 of 939
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeMark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was at the Boston Meet last month, I owned the shadow and listened to the TTVJ slim and the Pico slim. Both of these beat the shadow for openness, clarity and slam. I chose the TTVJ as I (my opinion) thought it was slightly better than the Pico slim in dynamics and warmth with my JH13s. Also the Pico was still not available, and I really thought all these amps were better than the Shadow. Since then I have also heard and now own the Headstage Arrow 12HE, which is comparable to the TTVJ slim and the Pico slim, IMO. Final conclusion, I think you would do well with the Pico, TTVJ or Arrow, and they are all better than the shadow.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WalkGood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LeeMark, I like your assessment and agree with you. I too enjoyed testing the TTVJ and certainly can not say anything bad about it, in fact if I had not gone for the Pico Slim for size, build quality and the pots, I would have either gone TTVJ or Arrow as well.

I concur. I tested TTVJ slim and the shadow and found that TTVJ is better in terms of warmth and the soundstage of TTVJ is more revealing, to me.

Hope that Pico Slim would do the same or even better~

...Still camping for the postman...
popcorn.gif

Apr 20, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #129 of 939
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, but a dead-on pentometer is only good for those luckies who have the amp. I'm happy with pictures for now.

Did I say "dead-on" I should have said +/- 0.5dB & 255 steps
tongue.gif

Apr 20, 2010 at 5:57 PM Post #130 of 939
Where is the 'person' smiley? Got to find it somewhere... So my T3D has like 250 fewer steps - it gets the job done. Haha, but its sound, while good, pales in comparison to what I've heard from Headamp before and this slim... well, when I hear it, I'll call it.

Apr 20, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #131 of 939
Quote:

Originally Posted by WalkGood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've seen what you describe, but never this and still states:

Regardless, got mine and enjoying the tunes ♪ ♪ ♪

My tracking for the TWag cable still says that even though I have now had it near 3 weeks
confused_face_2.gif

Apr 20, 2010 at 7:28 PM Post #133 of 939
Well they're good in the U.S. at least
wink.gif

Living nearby multiple major carrier facilities probably doesn't hurt either...

Apr 20, 2010 at 8:44 PM Post #134 of 939
#17 checking in. Powering up the slim exhibits an audible thump, I suggest turning the amp on without the iems/cans plugged in or else you will be startled. Powering down is less intrusive, maybe others can chime in about the thump.

I'm pairing the slim with W3's/4G nano combo via micro twag lod and happy with the sound, to my ears the slim is not a bass heavy amp and the W3's help with the lower end, no sibilance is noted and clarity and music separation is noticeable vs. unamped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back