Pico Slim first impressions and reviews thread. See p31 onwards for a couple of solid reviews + pics + useful info.
Apr 19, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #46 of 939
7 minutes is up.

Apr 19, 2010 at 1:03 AM Post #47 of 939
Quote:

Originally Posted by justin w. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did not keep the setting that slowly increased the volume to the position of the knob at power-on. what was a reasonable delay with a sensitive IEM became an extremely long delay with a full size headphone. the gain changes as you turn the volume knob, it's a variable gain amplifier

I would like to know if at one point in time, possibly in the future, if you would give us access to change these settings or features? Do we need special software that you would sell or make available or if we could just access it via usb connected to a linux box?

Apr 19, 2010 at 4:33 AM Post #48 of 939
Quote:

Originally Posted by gp_hebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Considering that these phones all have pretty similar impedances, it's surprising that the amp would give a mid-bass bump to one and not to the other.

Not just one, I said it did it with the ES3X as well, which was a welcome addition there.

As for the UE11Pro and W3, they are known to be bass heavy with some amps, while the bass is often better controlled with other certain amps. The Slim and Protector both control the UE11Pro bass better than other portable amps, with the 3MOVE a distant 3rd place behind them. In other reports I thought the 3MOVE controlled the UE11pro bass a little better than the original Pico or the P-51. So, the Slim and Protector do it better than their predecessors. I know this sounds weird, but it's what I heard. I'll be able to spend a lot of time with these amps in the future, and then I can focus more on these findings and see how I feel about them over the long term.

Apr 19, 2010 at 4:39 AM Post #49 of 939
Quote:

I agree with that, but one headphone plugged in different amps is not the same as multiple headphones plugged in one amp. The amp sees a load and transmits the amplified signal, but it doesn't know the difference between a UE11Pro or a ES3X. So it makes no sense when Larry says that the amp gives a bass boost to one of his IEMs but not to the other.

I'm wondering if there could be other factors involved. I am not an EE, but could things like sensitivity, dampening factor, inductance, and capacitance be involved and not just resistance (which can vary by frequency and also affect the reaction to being amped)? I am asking, not stating.

Apr 19, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #51 of 939
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine is "out for delivery." Hope to have it tonight. I'll post my impressions with the K1000.

Don't forget the recommended 347h burn-in period.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm wondering if there could be other factors involved. I am not an EE, but could things like sensitivity, dampening factor, inductance, and capacitance be involved and not just resistance (which can vary by frequency and also affect the reaction to being amped)? I am asking, not stating.

I couldn't say, I don't have enough experience myself with these parameters in headphones. I can affirm with certainty though that if an amp exhibits a bass boost in its frequency response, it's going to be apparent on any headphones with similar impedance curve plugged to it.

Apr 19, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #52 of 939
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine is "out for delivery." Hope to have it tonight. I'll post my impressions with the K1000.

Actually, I was hoping that you can post your impression with your O2 plugged into the Slim via a Stax adapter.
wink.gif

Apr 19, 2010 at 7:47 PM Post #54 of 939
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The true impedance of the headphones (i.e. not the nominal stuff they are rated at) could be a factor if the amp wasn't able to swing enough voltage into the load but that isn't the issue here. The Slim is more then capable of driving any of these phones and with power to spare. Now what's inside those multidriver sets could be the issue as not all dividing networks are created equal.

Apr 19, 2010 at 7:53 PM Post #55 of 939
#27 is in my Hands.

Pictures Soon.

Apr 19, 2010 at 7:55 PM Post #56 of 939
Congrats! Let us know how #27 sounds. I would be interested specifically in JH13 sound as I have the 16's.

Apr 19, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #57 of 939
The typical Glamour shots upon first opening.

PicoSlim.jpg

PicoSlim2.jpg

PicoSlim3.jpg

PicoSlim4.jpg

Apr 19, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #58 of 939
Quote:

I couldn't say, I don't have enough experience myself with these parameters in headphones. I can affirm with certainty though that if an amp exhibits a bass boost in its frequency response, it's going to be apparent on any headphones with similar impedance curve plugged to it.

Regardless, I liked the Slim enough to buy it and put my P-51 up in the FS forum. It's a great amp, and other than my iBasso T3 it's the only one that I can stack under my 5G Nano and comfortably fit the combo in my pocket that way.

Apr 19, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #59 of 939
So it appears to be roughly the same width and height of a Nano albeit a little shorter. These things are getting so small. I just go the shadow while I am waiting for my Slim and I can't believe how small these things are getting.

I'm drooling :)

Looking forward to your impressions.

Apr 19, 2010 at 8:22 PM Post #60 of 939
Quote:

Originally Posted by vpivinylspinner /img/forum/go_quote.gif
#27 is in my Hands.

Congrats

Nice pics too

Enjoy
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back