Pico Slim first impressions and reviews thread. See p31 onwards for a couple of solid reviews + pics + useful info.
Apr 18, 2010 at 5:13 AM Post #16 of 939
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought the JH13 sounded less focused out of the Protector. The Pico Slim provided more slam and better detail. The bass on the Protector sounded a bit tubby to me. To it's credit, I did not find the Protector shouty. The Slim just sounded more coherent to me. And the volume control is no contest.

Did you notice any difference in the soundstage at all between the two? also...thanks for the info
biggrin.gif

Apr 18, 2010 at 5:18 AM Post #17 of 939
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you notice any difference in the soundstage at all between the two?

Not really, but that doesn't mean there wasn't a difference. Probably would need some more time. People seem to be raving about the Protector's soundstage. Frankly, I think that has more to do with the JH13 itself. But who knows.

Quote:

also...thanks for the info
biggrin.gif

No problem. Just remember to take it with a grain of salt. More like a salt lick.

Apr 18, 2010 at 5:31 AM Post #18 of 939
Quote:

Not really, but that doesn't mean there wasn't a difference. Probably would need some more time. People seem to be raving about the Protector's soundstage. Frankly, I think that has more to do with the JH13 itself. But who knows.

i wish i could say, the only amp ive heard it with is with the protector. but the jh-13 does have a rather large SS for a iem so i think you may be right
wink.gif

Quote:

No problem. Just remember to take it with a grain of salt. More like a salt lick.

for sure

Apr 18, 2010 at 6:25 AM Post #19 of 939
Quote:

Capable of critical listening? Me? Likely not.
smily_headphones1.gif

But I can say one thing: I think the Pico Slim is better than the Protector with the JH13--and not by a small margin.

EDIT: Also, I did not hear the same bass bump that HPA mentioned above with the Pico Slim. Anything but, in fact. The TTVJ Slim, now that has some bass bump. ymmv I guess.

Sherwood heard the bass bump with his JH13pro too. But, it can change depending on source and music too.

Apr 18, 2010 at 1:26 PM Post #23 of 939
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you notice any difference in the soundstage at all between the two? …

Quote:

Not really, but that doesn't mean there wasn't a difference. Probably would need some more time. People seem to be raving about the Protector's soundstage. Frankly, I think that has more to do with the JH13 itself. But who knows. …

IMO I believe people attribute too many source and headphone qualities to amps, so I would agree with your opinion here Monkey. On another note, I also tested the pre-production model at a local meet and as others, I am also looking forward to receiving mine. In the mean time, here’s my …

opinion
The slim is strikingly small and thin, similar to the size of a nano. I was impressed with its overall size, great build quality and performance. My main reason for focusing on it as a portable is for iem/custom monitor use and the digital potentiometer attenuation, which is remarkable. I had to turn it close to ¼ to actually hear the music and the steps are very minor as stated by others, allowing you to adjust music to a very precise level for iem’s. I am not sure if that’s the same adjustment that will be in the production model, either way I’m sure it will be set appropriately as HeadAmp makes great products.

The channel matching is dead on and probably impossible to tell the difference with human ears, although I am not the best judge of that. A cool feature she sports is her volume memory, an ability to raise the volume back to where you previously had it when you turn her off to speak with others. I honestly can’t say that any amp improves the soundstage, treble, mids or bass (aside from dedicated bass boost, which she does not have) as others have written. Sure an amp can enhance them by improving on the stereo crosstalk which might improve perceived soundstage/stereo separation but I believe these depend more on the iem’s you use.

Battery life is staggering as Justin told me he was getting almost 70 hours use time and it will be interesting for us all to compare what we get in the field. Well we all have our own opinions, looking forward to reading others and I certainly have no complaints after testing her and just like others I am looking forward to enjoying the music with her ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪

Apr 18, 2010 at 1:27 PM Post #24 of 939
Quote:

Originally Posted by imademymark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi monkey just to clarify did you compare the protector single ended to the pico slim single ended or

the protector balanced to the pico slim single ended?

Protector balanced/Pico Slim single ended. Protector under meet conditions (though probably less of an issue with customs). Source I believe was Ray's Meridian. Pico Slim with a couple of different sources (I forget which DACs I had at the time), but mostly out of an iMod.

Apr 18, 2010 at 1:34 PM Post #25 of 939
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sherwood heard the bass bump with his JH13pro too. But, it can change depending on source and music too.

Granted, I've only heard the slim for a couple days twice, and in my own home once, but I didn't experience a mid-bass hump. I'm kinda against mid-bass humps and would have gone with the ttvj slim had there been a noticeable one with the pico slim. I guess when we all have the chance to live with it for awhile, more will be revealed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WalkGood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A cool feature she sports is her volume memory, an ability to raise the volume back to where you previously had it when you turn her off to speak with others.

That feature was in the prototype only and will not be in the final product. I think the delay was too long.

Apr 18, 2010 at 1:35 PM Post #26 of 939
Quote:

Protector balanced/Pico Slim single ended. Protector under meet conditions (though probably less of an issue with customs). Source I believe was Ray's Meridian. Pico Slim with a couple of different sources (I forget which DACs I had at the time), but mostly out of an iMod.

Wow I guess the Pico Slim is reallly a new level in portables..I have been very impressed with the protector + JH13 balanced. I have owned the Tomahawk and the Alo RX and both are far behind vs. the Protector in overall performance.

Apr 18, 2010 at 2:03 PM Post #27 of 939
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... I guess when we all have the chance to live with it for awhile, more will be revealed.

That feature was in the prototype only and will not be in the final product. I think the delay was too long.

I think you are right that once we live with her for a while we'll notice more ... BTW thanks boomana for the heads up on the feature elimination, haven't spoke to Justin since FL meet and would have hated to find out during use.

Apr 18, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #28 of 939
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolardito /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow I guess the Pico Slim is reallly a new level in portables..I have been very impressed with the protector + JH13 balanced. I have owned the Tomahawk and the Alo RX and both are far behind vs. the Protector in overall performance.

I don't know about that. I'm just a data point. I'm sure some will prefer other offerings out there. But I do think the Pico Slim is worth a try.

Apr 18, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #29 of 939
Quote:

I don't know about that. I'm just a data point. I'm sure some will prefer other offerings out there. But I do think the Pico Slim is worth a try.

We should know soon - the race is on - wonder who will check in first with their new toy
smily_headphones1.gif

First ones may be delivered tommorow if you are in the US?

Happy listening
smile_phones.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back