Pico Slim first impressions and reviews thread. See p31 onwards for a couple of solid reviews + pics + useful info.
Apr 18, 2010 at 8:31 PM Post #31 of 939
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Granted, I've only heard the slim for a couple days twice, and in my own home once, but I didn't experience a mid-bass hump. I'm kinda against mid-bass humps and would have gone with the ttvj slim had there been a noticeable one with the pico slim. I guess when we all have the chance to live with it for awhile, more will be revealed.

I think it's also partly a synergy issue, because the while the Slim also improved/increased the ES3X bass it did not give the UE11Pro or W3 a mid bass bump. Those definitly dont need one. The bass also improved after switching from iPhone 3GS/TWag to an iBasso D4 as DAC feeding the Slim.

Apr 18, 2010 at 8:35 PM Post #32 of 939
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaeO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... First ones may be delivered tommorow if you are in the US? ...

I wish, but according to this post from the 16th, the first batch would have been shipped Saturday the 17th, Monday seems to soon ... but yea one can hope ...

Apr 18, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #33 of 939
According to USPS mine is at the local Postal Service center so I might actually get mine tomorrow.

Apr 18, 2010 at 8:54 PM Post #34 of 939
Quote:

Originally Posted by vpivinylspinner /img/forum/go_quote.gif
According to USPS mine is at the local Postal Service center so I might actually get mine tomorrow.

Thanks, that's good to hear, then mine shoud be here soon as I'm #6 but didn't get confirmation # yet via email.

Apr 18, 2010 at 10:31 PM Post #35 of 939
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it's also partly a synergy issue, because the while the Slim also improved/increased the ES3X bass it did not give the UE11Pro or W3 a mid bass bump. Those definitly dont need one. The bass also improved after switching from iPhone 3GS/TWag to an iBasso D4 as DAC feeding the Slim.

Considering that these phones all have pretty similar impedances, it's surprising that the amp would give a mid-bass bump to one and not to the other.

Apr 18, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #36 of 939
I've noticed that my TF10s tend to have a lot more bass when plugged into an amp of any kind vs directly from an iPod. Also, different generations of iPod give them varying amounts of bass. It wouldn't surprise me if it were the same for other IEMs. It would certainly explain why portable amps are so popular, as a sudden bass boost is the quickest way to give the impression of an improvement in sound to the average person.

Apr 18, 2010 at 11:39 PM Post #37 of 939
I agree with that, but one headphone plugged in different amps is not the same as multiple headphones plugged in one amp. The amp sees a load and transmits the amplified signal, but it doesn't know the difference between a UE11Pro or a ES3X. So it makes no sense when Larry says that the amp gives a bass boost to one of his IEMs but not to the other.

Apr 19, 2010 at 12:02 AM Post #39 of 939
Quote:

Originally Posted by vpivinylspinner /img/forum/go_quote.gif

According to the USPS website mine should be here monday as well
biggrin.gif

Apr 19, 2010 at 12:16 AM Post #40 of 939
For those of you that are getting your slim on Monday, could you please post some initial impressions for those of us that are still dripping or salivating? Even though the slim may not have burnt in, but initial impressions are always fun to read and know. We also like to know whether the sound changes over time or not? Does anyone know how long is the recommended burn in time?

Wanted to know also is whether the production model is any different from the demo version. Whether the memory for power on feature got retained from before? and do we know about gain settings? is it controlable via software setting? Looking forward to monday to hear from you guys.

Apr 19, 2010 at 12:20 AM Post #41 of 939
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jalo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For those of you that are getting your slim on Monday, could you please post some initial impressions for those of us that are still dripping or salivating? Even though the slim may not have burnt in, but initial impressions are always fun to read and know. We also like to know whether the sound changes over time or not? Does anyone know how long is the recommended burn in time?

Wanted to know also is whether the production model is any different from the demo version. Whether the memory for power on feature got retained from before? and do we know about gain settings? is it controlable via software setting? Looking forward to monday to hear from you guys.

I did not keep the setting that slowly increased the volume to the position of the knob at power-on. what was a reasonable delay with a sensitive IEM became an extremely long delay with a full size headphone. the gain changes as you turn the volume knob, it's a variable gain amplifier

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Apr 19, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #42 of 939
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jalo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

^^

Apr 19, 2010 at 12:30 AM Post #43 of 939
Quote:

Originally Posted by justin w. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...the gain changes as you turn the volume knob, it's a variable gain amplifier

Wow, Justin, is it a new features? It is definitly a new concept to me. It sound like it's similar to CVT (Continuous Variable Transmission) in car. I just love new technology whether they'll hold up over time or not, I like new thinking a nd new ways of doing things. Good job.

How long do you think the burn in time needs to be?

Apr 19, 2010 at 12:35 AM Post #44 of 939
Quote:

Originally Posted by justin w. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did not keep the setting that slowly increased the volume to the position of the knob at power-on. what was a reasonable delay with a sensitive IEM became an extremely long delay with a full size headphone. the gain changes as you turn the volume knob, it's a variable gain amplifier

oh wow, does that mean that the volume control isnt attenuating the input at all? and is instead just changing the gain value? though that is all just hopeful speculation based on your comments
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back