Philips Fidelio X2 : A Review by Baycode
Aug 6, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #76 of 1,061
  Pricing seems interesting on Asian sites (check this web site). That site sells it for 1666 SGD (equals apprx 1333 USD). But according to an European site it seems 299 Euro which translates in to 399 USD. Also the photos on these commercial sites are not belonging to the real product, they are just computer renderings (color, ear-pad surfaces and headband seems slightly different).

I believe these photos are belonging to the design bench of X2 (source of the photos: avcesar.com)

Exactly. I found it weird how a 299 Euro can ends up being 1300 bucks in Asia.

Aug 6, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #78 of 1,061
Sexy cans 
smily_headphones1.gif

I was someday on the verge of buying an X1...I'll wait a bit more. 

Ali

Aug 10, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #87 of 1,061
I found my x1 slightly dark if not spot on. The trajectory of these new philips will prob bend towards a hi fi yet brighter, leaner sound based on the l2. I wouldnt count on a darker hp.

Aug 11, 2014 at 2:37 AM Post #88 of 1,061
  I was very disappointed by X1 because of attacking high frequency

Still can`t understand why some ppl are saying such things about X1 highs. Maybe try another DAC or AMP that matches with X1 better. I can`t hear anything wrong with highs with my gear.
Lucky me I guess :)

Aug 11, 2014 at 5:30 AM Post #89 of 1,061
X2 is not a dark sounding phone.

I am still using/burning them-in and I expect slight changes in sound which I will report back after passing the 300h mark. This should take about 2-3 weeks.

Last night I compared X2 with my K340 and K551 again... Both HP's sounded like entry level beside the X2 to me (output from a tube amp). TBH mids are the biggest strengths of K340 and I still love its mids (slightly more than the X2 mids), also high and mid-high on K551 is brighter and sometimes slightly more detailed. But overall I always prefer X2 over them and as being an AKG fan for a long long time this is a new thing to me. Great overall presentation is something that Philips really succeeded.

Also X2 pairs extremely well with a tube amp...

Aug 11, 2014 at 5:45 AM Post #90 of 1,061
  X2 is not a dark sounding phone.
  Also X2 pairs extremely well with a tube amp...

Sounds more and more like X1
rolleyes.gif

Quote:
To make them sound better, they need exactly what Mike said in his headfonia review about them:
The 1840 is still more refined, and the mids and highs are smoother, but I find that a good tube amp can help the X1 in those departments. 

This headphone has a good speed and attack by default, so I won’t be needing a solid state. What it needs, however is a little smoother treble and a little boost in the mids body. The ALO Pan Am is the best pairing I’ve heard with the X1 especially with the smooth Siemens tube upgrade.

And I agree with that... based on Aune T1 + Siemens E88CC and iBasso DX50. Both smoothen littlebit X1 treble and boost up mids section. Also bass is brought down tad, making them little more neutral. Result is very very enjoyable, at least for me :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back